It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Eve's story
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all. I found this forum while looking for information on suboxone. I have been battling an opiate addiction for more than 15 years. I was actually off everything for about 6 years, felt good for a long time. Somehow I forgot to do the things that I need to do to manage my stress level and participate in a recovery program. I think that after being "clean" for so long I thought I was some kind of exception to the rule and did not need any more recovery stuff. I know we all think we are so unique and the general rules certainly do not apply to us.

I put a lot of my history in a reply to a post on here a minute ago. I will give the short version of the long story to avoid repeating the same information over and over again. I went through the course of becoming addicted to opiate pain relievers several years ago. I finally ended up on methadone for a year. I decided that I wanted off the methadone and quit cold turkey (from 80-160 mg/day). I detoxed at home under the care of a physician with the help of ativan and clonidine. The detox without weaning down the dose was an absolutely horrible experience. I swore I would never use again because I did not want to put myself through something like that EVER again. I

I was clean for around 6 years. This past year, my husband deployed to Iraq for 8 months, I was very sick with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever ( a very nasty and sometimes deadly rickettsial infection from a tick), labs show that I had a case of mono around the same time, and had some other personally devastating experiences. I went back on pain medicine at this time and quickly developed a tolerance. I was taking 60-80 mg of oxycontin last November and quit cold turkey. That was five days of pure hell, then it started to get better. I was actually off the meds for a few months after that.

This past spring I started taking the pain meds again. This was for generalized body aches and a problem with my left leg that is very painful. I've had all kinds of testing done and nothing conclusive for a diagnosis yet. I am concerned about the after effects of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I did some research on the lasting effects and there are many people out there feeling the same way I do.

I am now on 120+ mg of oxycontin a day. I saw a new physician (who is in contact with my old physician) because I want help getting off this stuff. I don't think I could just quit again like I have before. I cannot put myself through that again. I mean the physical strain of detoxing from large amounts of opiates with no help is too much for me right now. I want to get myself back on the right track because I know the road I'm on leads to a bunch of shit I REALLY do not want to deal with. I just want to feel like myself again. I have so much to live for. I am an RN with a good career (away from opiates) and I am currently working on the RN to MSN program so I can be a nurse practitioner when I grow up. I am 36 now. I still look good and I sure don't want to ruin that by being strung out on opiates for the rest of my life. People get a look to them that says "rode hard and put away wet". I am deathly afraid of looking like that.

My doctor wanted me to do some research on suboxone. This is totally new to me. I am wondering how much like methadone this is because that is what my doctor compared it to. I am willing to do whatever I need to do to get my life back together again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone is not really like methadone at all. I haven't been on MMT, but I took methadone when I was still using and Suboxone is nothing like it.

My experience of suboxone was that as soon as I took my first dose I felt amazingly...normal. My mood was stabilized, cravings gone, withdrawal gone and I felt like my thought process cleared up. While I was on Sub I attended therapy and worked on a treatment plan for my recovery. I didn't do 12 step recovery. Instead I identified my triggers and worked on other ways to deal with them or tried to get rid of them. I went back to school and finished my AA degree and started taking better care of myself.

I stayed on Sub for close to 2 years and finished my treatment at the beginning of August. I still go to therapy & work on my issues. I planned my taper from Sub very carefully and it was not difficult. I had some withdrawal but nothing that made me miss work. It was annoying at worst.

If you go to the Suboxone Talk Zone blog Dr. Junig has many posts about how Sub works and what makes it unique. I think one of the main differences is that unlike methadone, you can't just keep taking more and more Suboxone to get an increased effect. It has an opiate-like effect up to a certain point and then that's it. It's about equivalent to 30mgs of methadone. Then it just levels out. The net effect of this is that you don't want to take more and more Suboxone. In fact, many people find that they need less as time goes on.

GOod luck with your research and let us know what you decide.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: 2nd day of suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

whats up kid,this is my second day of suboxone my doc started me with 2 subtexs first because thurs aug 27 i took 280 mgs of oxycontin ,when u start the subxone need to be clean for about 20 hrs or low dose yre self first .i have no withdrawal syptoms at all im actually eating more i lost weight on the oxys,make sure the doc prescribes some sleepers to u,,still smoking alot of cigs but im new to all this .pills were runnining my life.but will i get addicted to these things now is my ?? i hope u get some more responses i need some also,well back to work tomorrow
Regards Major in Ft Lauderdale

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: yes that says it all
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Diary has said more or less what I wanted to say. The reason that suboxone works so well for me is that there is no 'high' as such, just a feeling of normality and clear headedness that I haven't experienced for over 8 years. Suboxone's value is in the way that it makes you feel GOOD by conversely not making you feel so BAD all the time! The first time I took a proper (i.e. effective) dose, it was like landing on my feet again after a very long period of floating aimlessly from one score to the next. I have been able to start getting my life back on track in the last year thanks to this wonderful medication.Of course, it's still very early days for me, and I am under no illusions that I am ready to go it alone just yet. When I first heard of subutex/suboxone,street people were saying that you could use it for a while, get clean, then jump back on the heroin once you had saved up some money! This is obviously no way to get clean, and I consider it a terrible misuse of a very valuable resource for people who want their lives back.Anyway, good luck with your endeavours.
Sneaky