It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm new to all these forums and tried to post this earlier, so if it is a repeat, I apologize. I'm curious about something. A little background - I went to a drug treatment facility in August last year for opioid dependence where I began on Suboxone. Upon discharge I was set up with a sub doctor who is contracted with my insurance company. At the first visit I paid several hundred dollars along with what the ins co paid. At visits 2 and 3 I was told they were still working on what I need to pay and would let me know later. I called the ins co myself and was told that even though this is a 'specialty' program, he is still contracted for a specific amount per visit and I am to pay just the $20 copay. This is what I did for visit 4 and 5, although different office personnel were telling me different things. Anyway, visit 6 comes along and I am expected to pay several hundred dollars, part of which is "past due" from previous visits. I said I would have to make arrangements as I did not have that much money at that time. Visit 7 comes around.... My appointment was cancelled by the receptionist because of my balance. I asked if the doctor could call me in a tapering dose because I would be unable to afford these monthly rates. Also told her what the insurance company said, and I spoke to them several times. She said my appt would be cancelled and the doctor will not be calling in or prescribing any further meds until my balance is paid in full. Another interesting point here is that my husband (separated) sees the same doctor, for the same thing, has the exact same insurance policy, and never pays a dime - not even a copay. I feel this doctor treated me very unethically, causing severe unanticipated withdrawals, a very big temptation to relapse, I even lost my job because I was out sick and didn't have a doctor's note. Is this illegal or did I just pick a bad dr? Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would call the insurance company again and tell them what you are being charged. It does not sound right at all. Maybe there was a problem filing the claims. Or maybe the doctor has not received the claim money yet. Nothing makes me angrier than hearing these stories of doctors taking advantage of people who need help. If it turns out this one is ripping you off, I would find another sub doc then report this one to the state licensing board.
Good luck and best wishes
Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm going to definitely do that tomorrow. I know businesses obviously are in it for the money but come on, not even to put any effort into a payment plan and no concern about relapsing. Please

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: GGGRRRR!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would be on that like a duck on a june bug!!! I would call every licensing board, lawyer that would work with me, peer board. state agency that will listen. Threaten with news stations. Do you have investigative reporting in your town? I would definantley have his ass on a platter for that one and maybe his license along with it. DONT JUST LET THIS HAPPEN. That is unlawful, unethical, and sounds illegal to boot. Do't be nice!! You suffered!!!! You lost your JOB! They have to keep detailed medical records and payment has to be clear. I would also call the insurance co. to let them know this is unethical and they may want to check in on their client. SMH, He will come up against the wrong patient one day and he better be glad it wasn't me!!