It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey all,

Just thinking of Godfrey's recent good thread on talking while taking bup and Amy's 'subliva' code word she says so those around her know she can't talk for awhile.

I just read that Espranor, 2mg and 8mg, was recently approved in the UK and Sweden. It's plain buprenorphine placed on top of the tongue. Its a small freeze dried oral wafer that rapidly dissolves. %50 of patients report its fully dissolved at 2 minutes. Its priced 20% lower than Suboxone which is not a benefit bc plain buprenorphine is widely accepted and used in the UK and EU and is much cheaper than both Suboxone and Espranor. In England, generic plain buprenorphine accounts for 90% of NHS prescriptions. Espranor is approved by their NHS bc the cost savings w Espranor comes w its quick dissolving wafer, saving time by lowered productivity costs, especially w reduced prep and dispensing time. An example is English prisons estimate of those in w opiate use disorder, 1 in 3 is on MAT w 80% on methadone and 20% on buprenorphine. Prisons currently require extra staff to crush the bup tab/dispense/observe each prisoner for up to 10" to minimize bup tablet diversion.

Imo, we'll never see it here bc its plain bup only.

Will be interesting to see if Espranor's local English neighbor, RB owner of Indivior/Suboxone, will work on a fast dissolving bup/naloxone wafer on the top on the tongue?? Maybe they could call it 'Nosubliva' !!! Ha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Pelican,

By the way, we've got plenty of pelicans down here in south Florida. Beautiful birds. Really magnificent
when diving for fish...perfectly designed by evolution for maximum efficiency. Their beauty
is somehow an inevitable by-product of that efficiency, I'd say. They kind of look like pterodactyls, which makes me think about the now widely accepted theory that birds are descended from dinosaurs....though (I looked it up) pterodactyls weren't dinosaurs at all but flying lizards! Yikes!

Thanks for this informative post. Mr. Pelican. I really get annoyed when I think about this bupe/naloxone scam. How many people die each year because they can't afford this life saving drug? I don't know
anything much about the company involved, but I find it hard to believe they don't know the naloxone
doesn't do much of anything... but pad their profits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree completely. To think that at least one state doesn't even allow people to take buprenorphine! The ignorance on the issue is overwhelming- I've heard even prescribers of Suboxone say things like 'there is no ceiling to plain buprenorphine because it doesn't have the blocker'. I hear that from law enforcement all the time, but from doctors who prescribe it?!

Thanks for the info, pelican-- interesting that the UK uses plain buprenorphine, and here we have to deal with massive confusion on the issue. And yes, Godfrey-- I have always thought that the reason for adding naloxone in the first place was only to turn a cheap, generic molecule into a patentable medication. From many discussions with people who have injected both meds, I'm not convinced that naloxone does anything to the action of Suboxone even when injected!