It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just dropping by to say hello. Looking back to Aug 2013, and the mess that I was- popping 4 80mg's per day, man I used to chew one of them just to get out of bed. Then I heard about Suboxone and it saved my life - I suppose literally.

I'm busy with kids, wife, and business, and things are so great.

I started taking pain pills after an operation, business was doing so well so I thought, hey I like this stuff let's do more. I hadn't been addicted to anything before this and thought I could have fun and just stop. Fast forward 3 years and I'm taking an 80mg just to get out of bed. It all happens so insidiously, you're almost a passenger in your own life.

Subs have been amazing for me, I have no side effects, and just take it in the morning and go. I never think about pills or drugs, or even much about alcohol.

I'm pretty happy, and now have started to think that *maybe* I don't need subs anymore, but I have young kids, and can't risk a relapse as they need me, so maybe when they're a bit older I'll try. The most important job I have is being a father and providing for my family so adding massive risk to that makes no sense right now.

I didn't mean to make this so long, but wanted folks who were addicted to know that there IS a way out, and it's Suboxone. I'm just a normal guy who was totally addicted to Oxy and since my induction I haven't even thought about it.

I just worry what to make for dinner these days!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 am 

Right on MrGooger! Me too (not the cooking part lol I don't cook a bit). Welcome to the forum. This is the kind of posts that I love, and I relate to everything u said because that's how suboxone has worked for me too.

When I was in active addiction, worried about just waking up in the morning and being sick, was about as far on the thinking scale I could go. I couldn't plan anything because I didn't know if I'd be sick or broke by then. Holidays were awful because if I was out searching for pills, I wouldn't make it on time, if I didn't have anything id be sick and not feel like sitting up.... if I did get lucky enough to have all those things, I'd still mess something up somehow with my mom and kids. Now, after 5 years on suboxone, I don't have to worry about those things and it's amazing! Amazing! I'm very thankful. I can worry about normal things like my sons birthday gift not making it before his birthday :)

I am so grateful to hear stories like urs Mrgrooger, it keeps me thankful also. Thank u for sharing ur story with us and please stick around the forum!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 pm 

Welcome back Mrgooger99,

It is so refreshing to read your post this morning. Lately we've had a bit of negativity concerning Suboxone on this forum so it is nice to hear some gratitude for a change.

Like you, I too am stable on it and worry about a relapse if I do ever decide to taper and stop. What I would suggest to you is to ask your prescribing doctor if they would save your slot for maybe 6 months to a year if you ever decide to taper and quit. That way, it gives you an insurance policy about relapsing.

My own doctor only goes to 85% of his cap due to this reason. He told me the failure rate is so high he found it best to keep a patients slot open for 6 months until both of them were sure it would work. That makes me feel very secure knowing there's a safety net below me just in case.

You'll know it when the time comes. And then it won't be half as bad as people tell you. We have dozens of stories here from members who quit successfully and w/o much discomfort at all. Just read their stories.

Once again, good to see you back and posting.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm 

I can't help it! Your name makes me think of that SNL skit MacGruber! (Which is actually a spoof of the 80s show MacGyver)

I, too, appreciate your post so much!

I think you are very smart for recognizing the potential for relapse and weighing that carefully in your decision making. The more things you can do to work on yourself and your recovery, the better. If you make that a priority in your life, and I know you are a busy man, you will be all the more ready someday to step off the medication. There are definitely tools you could learn that would make the possibility of slowly tapering off your medication a reality someday!

But for now, keep doing what you're doing. It's working!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm 

Hi Mrgooger99, Love, love, love your story as it is very similar to mine! August of 2014 is when I started suboxone. I was addicted to tramadol. I had switched to that from percs, roxys, vicodin. I had a script and it was easy to buy online when I needed more. Then they changed the class of drug making it very difficult to find and very expensive! I found a sub doctor, went to see her, inducted without incident, and the rest is history! I am at 4mgs now after tapering down from 24mgs. I don't even think about trams anymore! My only concern was if I should need surgery and that situation presented itself about a yr ago. I informed all the nurses and doctors working with me and all went very well. Yes, life is good right now! If and when I decide to make another drop or taper off completely, it will be my decision and on my terms! Enjoy today!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MG,

Really appreciate your post. Thank YOU!! Happy for you and all those who love you - that you found bup and sounds like you got on in time to avoid major significant losses. at least i hope so. I had a terrible wakeup call - lost my marriage and few other things. Got on bup which turned my life around. I have most back. not all. some people have long memories. I made amends or where i couldn't, walked the walk for a long time for them to see I'm doing very well and have now been off bup a few yrs now. I worked on me while on bup which gave me the opportunity to later stop, which went well. I shout and hollar - stay on bup -- long term which is cool or till its easy to stop. However long that takes. No way could I have stayed off my doc wo my working on me during my time on bup . Then stopping went well. Know that there is NO rush. Enjoy your life on bup and let your family enjoy you. Then see what happens. Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm thinking of macgruber on snl as mentioned, but also mr magoo... but thanks for your comments.

People know where I stand-- but the goal for people wanting to stop all opioids is to stay out of the cycle long enough so that the world of using feels like long ago, something you 'used to do'. When people ask how long to stay on buprenorphine, my opinion depends on what their lives look like. Do they still know people who use opioids? Could then find opioids with one or two phone calls? Do they still have a lot of chaos in life? Do they have chronic pain-- so much pain that they cannot accept being off opioid pain pills 'forever'? Do they still use a substance to manage their stress or mood? If any answers are 'yes', then going off buprenorphine makes little sense. If all are 'no', then a year out of the cycle of using might be long enough.

Some people recognize that buprenorphine is just another medication... a medication that can completely remove all of the risks associated with opioid dependence in some people. Some people choose to simply remove the risk of relapse from their futures. I support those people 100%(!)

I also see why some people want to be 'off everything'. Given the stigma and other issues with opioid dependence, I understand that desire. Clearly though, the current bias is for people to leave buprenorphine treatment too quickly, by far.

I will NEVER understand the people who stop by, now and then, with the anti-buprenorphine attitudes. I have no interest in going to cancer discussion boards, and telling people which chemo or radiation to use, or how long to use it! I have no interest in going on forums for heart disease and arguing that one aspirin per day is an 'evil drug' (even though long-term aspirin probably hurts the body more than long-term buprenorphine!).

Best of luck, MG!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now that is a great post, Dr J!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm 

Amen Dr. J! Although I do have experience with people who are of the mindset to comment on suboxone! To me is is similar to weight issues! People always feel that their comments are wanted about dieting and exercise when they see a big person! I have not experienced this too much but that is because I am a very confident woman having had a weight issue almost my entire life. I have heard horror stories about people being confronted about what is in their shopping cart or what they are ordering to eat in a restaurant! To me, it is kind of the same thing when people come here to give us their feeling about suboxone. Those people have the same feelings about drugs, alcohol, food...they think it is a weakness and something that we can just control. It does get frustrating but then all I can do is have empathy for those people! They don't know compassion for other people and their struggles! In all honesty, I would much rather be dealing with addiction than to not have a compassionate heart!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:22 am 

"MacGruber, making life saving inventions out of household materials
MacGruber, Getting in and out of ultra sticky situations
MacGruber, The Guy's a Friggin Genious
MACGRUBER!!!!!!!"

Mr. Magoo was always frustrating to me as a child because it seemed so pointless! I think I thought, "Hey! This doofus should have been run over by a train at least 7 times by now!" There was never any progression, never a point at which someone intervened to improve the dude's situation. Very frustrating.

Which is a great comparison to opioid addicts who keep doing the same thing here. They get angry at a medication because they are blind to the fact that it's their addiction that they are struggling against.

Fortunately there are smart folks like MrG who know how to keep things in perspective.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So great to hear man i'm 22 and just started a month ago my second time on suboxone the first time i rushed off and ended up back in the same spot. I too have 0 side effects and am enjoying the hell out of being sober with the assistance of suboxone!

I also have a plan to get off in the future, but no where in the recent future i am going to finish school and probably stay on at least until i am for sure mature enough not to relapse again. This may take awhile but why sabotage my own recovery you know?

After hearing you're story if i am still on suboxone and am deciding to start a family that is when i will if i already haven't taken the plunge to get off the subs! so good to hear from someone else doing so well but further into the future than i am i cant wait to get where you are but i will not rush it!

Thanks for the post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:26 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Amen Dr. J! Although I do have experience with people who are of the mindset to comment on suboxone! To me is is similar to weight issues! People always feel that their comments are wanted about dieting and exercise when they see a big person! I have not experienced this too much but that is because I am a very confident woman having had a weight issue almost my entire life. I have heard horror stories about people being confronted about what is in their shopping cart or what they are ordering to eat in a restaurant! To me, it is kind of the same thing when people come here to give us their feeling about suboxone. Those people have the same feelings about drugs, alcohol, food...they think it is a weakness and something that we can just control. It does get frustrating but then all I can do is have empathy for those people! They don't know compassion for other people and their struggles! In all honesty, I would much rather be dealing with addiction than to not have a compassionate heart!

omg, the nerve of some people! f their unwanted advice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
People know where I stand-- but the goal for people wanting to stop all opioids is to stay out of the cycle long enough so that the world of using feels like long ago, something you 'used to do'.

my therapist stresses that the longer you're clean the chance to relapse is always there and sometimes greater especially when it seems like such a long time ago. i had 5 years totally sober and thought i could just chip here and there. but i was right back into the flood again, just like that. i've gained so much by seeking help this time with subs and therapy vs cold turkey 1st time around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:00 pm 

Hi Sister, Thank you for your support! When I was younger, I would go to OA meetings and the women there would talk about having low self esteem because of their weight. They would not want to go out to socalize or they would not go to family functions! I could not even begin to understand this way of thinking. I am so much more than my dress size! It has occasionally happened to me and I would be lying if I said it did not cause me to think negatively about myself...for a few minutes! I would then think, I don't deserve this and realize the importance of putting it in to perspective and moving on! Again, I do think that, having been a big girl my entire life makes it so much easier to deal with this! Enjoy your evening!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:46 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Hi Sister, Thank you for your support! When I was younger, I would go to OA meetings and the women there would talk about having low self esteem because of their weight. They would not want to go out to socalize or they would not go to family functions! I could not even begin to understand this way of thinking. I am so much more than my dress size! It has occasionally happened to me and I would be lying if I said it did not cause me to think negatively about myself...for a few minutes! I would then think, I don't deserve this and realize the importance of putting it in to perspective and moving on! Again, I do think that, having been a big girl my entire life makes it so much easier to deal with this! Enjoy your evening!

my mom has been active in OA for 30 years. i haven't come across many people who know about OA! foods like sugar were a drug for her. she was basically bulimic but just binging no purging. after she took herself off certain foods her attitude changed. she was no longer witchy!