It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear Community,

I am here to ask for advice, help, support, and most importantly love. I have made the decision to open up to this community and be real because I want to get off the illusion and crutch of this orange pill, Suboxone. I had almost 3 years clean from any mood or mind altering substance. I am an opiate addict, specifically IV Heroin. After about 2 years in the cravings were starting to get bad again and the program, which I still attend and believe in wasn't helping curb the itch. I did bring it up to my sponsor, but like most other people he listed the things that I should do, and have done time and time again. Anyways, I made a decision to get back on Suboxone after almost 3 years clean. My initial idea was to only take it as needed. I have taken Suboxone before and in the past I was put on 12mg, it was too much, even 4mg in my opinion is outrageous. This is a strong medication we are dealing with! I cannot deal with the anger, mood swings, inability to urinate, have a bowel movement, have any type of sexual arousal, ejaculation, headaches, and so forth. Suboxone has a lot of side effects that are negative in my opinion, but I did not want to relapse and I felt like if the medication curbed the cravings as needed and gave me a partial agonist buzz, it's all good! Obviously that is a pretty warped, junkie statement, regardless these are the facts. So I proceeded to get a script of 8mg pills, I started out with about 1mg, my girlfriend who has never seen me on any type of mood or mind altering substance, or liquid, was laughing and a little freaked out because obviously on 1mg of Suboxone with an opiate tolerance for almost 3 years, I was high as a kite. I stayed on the drug for about 2 weeks and then was getting in my head and wanted to get off.
During this period I convinced myself that since I had already taken an opiate that doing something else wasn't a big deal. I ended up relapsing on IV heroin. On about 3-4 different occasions over the course of several more weeks I ended up waiting 24 hours then administered IV heroin and got high several times. During all this I was still going to meetings and talking ton my sponsor. He knew was I was on Suboxone, but not administering IV Heroin as well. I told myself I had to stop. I stayed on the suboxone and after about 1 week was feeling better because the heroin had left my system. The week after that I did a quick taper over the course of maybe a week to a week in a half. I had very, very minor symptoms and stopped. I was 100% clean for about two weeks.
For whatever reason, I talked myself back into administering IV Heroin. For the past 2 months I have been in a vicious cycle. I have been on and off suboxone and IV Heroin. I want to make it clear that during all of this I have never done more than 1 to 1.5mg in a day.
I want to fast forward everyone up to the past week or so, and then get into my thoughts on the taper and advice and feedback from this loving and supportive community of knowledgeable users and non users. About one week ago I said to myself that I was going to stop for good and do a taper. I had waited 24 hours and administered IV Heroin, I didn't take Suboxone for about 4 days, but I was taking IV Heroin for those 4 days. The next day I woke up in withdrawal and took about 1.5mg suboxone sublingually. My addict mind took over and used IV Heroin that night. I guess now for the past week, I have been waking up in the morning and taking 1mg of suboxone sublingually and then administering IV Heroin in the evening. I feel something, it is weaker than if I was 100% sober, but that is not the point here.
This vicious cycle of suboxone and IV Heroin has got to stop. I want to go back to being in control, not wasting money, having regular sleep cycles, bathroom cycles, I hate using clear eyes, I mean I could sit here and list a bunch of different reasons. Today, I woke up with the intention of starting a taper, but ending up dosing IV Heroin, so tomorrow Tuesday will be the start of the detoxing process.

Here is my plan: I figure that it will take at least 3-5 days for the heroin to fully clear out of my system. I will continue to take 1mg of suboxone sublingually for that time period, and then start the taper. I want this taper to be as fast and safe as possible. This plan might also adjust depending on how I feel and what not. I will continue to go to meetings, and stay active in my recovery during and after this taper.

Days 1-5: 1mg
Day 6:1mg
Day 7:.5mg
Day 8:.5mg
Day 9:.5mg
Day 10:.25mg
Day 11:.25mg
Day 12: SKIP
Day 13: .125mg
Day 14: .125mg
Day 15: SKIP
Day 16: .125mg or less
Day 17: SKIP
Day 18: .125mg or less
Day 19: JUMP

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and leaves feedback. Do you feel like this is a logical taper? Because I have used suboxone off and on for about two months I don't expect the withdrawals or taper to be THAT bad. If I can help anyone please let me know. Thanks again to all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

motts wrote:
Dear Community,

I am here to ask for advice, help, support, and most importantly love. I have made the decision to open up to this community and be real because I want to get off the illusion and crutch of this orange pill, Suboxone. I had almost 3 years clean from any mood or mind altering substance. I am an opiate addict, specifically IV Heroin. After about 2 years in the cravings were starting to get bad again and the program, which I still attend and believe in wasn't helping curb the itch. I did bring it up to my sponsor, but like most other people he listed the things that I should do, and have done time and time again. Anyways, I made a decision to get back on Suboxone after almost 3 years clean. My initial idea was to only take it as needed. I have taken Suboxone before and in the past I was put on 12mg, it was too much, even 4mg in my opinion is outrageous. This is a strong medication we are dealing with! I cannot deal with the anger, mood swings, inability to urinate, have a bowel movement, have any type of sexual arousal, ejaculation, headaches, and so forth. Suboxone has a lot of side effects that are negative in my opinion, but I did not want to relapse and I felt like if the medication curbed the cravings as needed and gave me a partial agonist buzz, it's all good! Obviously that is a pretty warped, junkie statement, regardless these are the facts. So I proceeded to get a script of 8mg pills, I started out with about 1mg, my girlfriend who has never seen me on any type of mood or mind altering substance, or liquid, was laughing and a little freaked out because obviously on 1mg of Suboxone with an opiate tolerance for almost 3 years, I was high as a kite. I stayed on the drug for about 2 weeks and then was getting in my head and wanted to get off.
During this period I convinced myself that since I had already taken an opiate that doing something else wasn't a big deal. I ended up relapsing on IV heroin. On about 3-4 different occasions over the course of several more weeks I ended up waiting 24 hours then administered IV heroin and got high several times. During all this I was still going to meetings and talking ton my sponsor. He knew was I was on Suboxone, but not administering IV Heroin as well. I told myself I had to stop. I stayed on the suboxone and after about 1 week was feeling better because the heroin had left my system. The week after that I did a quick taper over the course of maybe a week to a week in a half. I had very, very minor symptoms and stopped. I was 100% clean for about two weeks.
For whatever reason, I talked myself back into administering IV Heroin. For the past 2 months I have been in a vicious cycle. I have been on and off suboxone and IV Heroin. I want to make it clear that during all of this I have never done more than 1 to 1.5mg in a day.
I want to fast forward everyone up to the past week or so, and then get into my thoughts on the taper and advice and feedback from this loving and supportive community of knowledgeable users and non users. About one week ago I said to myself that I was going to stop for good and do a taper. I had waited 24 hours and administered IV Heroin, I didn't take Suboxone for about 4 days, but I was taking IV Heroin for those 4 days. The next day I woke up in withdrawal and took about 1.5mg suboxone sublingually. My addict mind took over and used IV Heroin that night. I guess now for the past week, I have been waking up in the morning and taking 1mg of suboxone sublingually and then administering IV Heroin in the evening. I feel something, it is weaker than if I was 100% sober, but that is not the point here.
This vicious cycle of suboxone and IV Heroin has got to stop. I want to go back to being in control, not wasting money, having regular sleep cycles, bathroom cycles, I hate using clear eyes, I mean I could sit here and list a bunch of different reasons. Today, I woke up with the intention of starting a taper, but ending up dosing IV Heroin, so tomorrow Tuesday will be the start of the detoxing process.

Here is my plan: I figure that it will take at least 3-5 days for the heroin to fully clear out of my system. I will continue to take 1mg of suboxone sublingually for that time period, and then start the taper. I want this taper to be as fast and safe as possible. This plan might also adjust depending on how I feel and what not. I will continue to go to meetings, and stay active in my recovery during and after this taper.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and leaves feedback. Do you feel like this is a logical taper? Because I have used suboxone off and on for about two months I don't expect the withdrawals or taper to be THAT bad. If I can help anyone please let me know. Thanks again to all!

Dear Motts:

I don't understand why you would want to quit suboxone when you cannot even stop shooting up heroin ??? I am not trying to be ugly here and i feel for you but the sub works so well on me ...I have no cravings and am finally free of chasing that damn high. If you get off sub for good you will have nothing to help you not relapse. I know you mean well and you really think you can taper off and go to meetings and talk to your sponsor and not relapse. I have been there so many times. ....
but you are not even telling your sponsor the whole truth ( about the heroin) and you are not taking enough sub to fill up your receptors and prevent craving. I take subutex..Maybe if your doctor could switch you to subutex you would not have all the side effects? ...and even if the doctor won't switch I feel the benefits outweigh the risks here. This is your life we are talking about...you should try about 6mg. of sub and stay off everything else and give it a week or so and see how you feel. I am talking like a doctor and I am most certainly not one...I just don't won't to see you od on heroin. Sub works on opiate addiction, period. I know...sub is also an opiate..but not an agonist....more won't make you feel any better and it will keep the heroin from working for you, you would simply be wasting your money...

I know you will do what you have to do and I do wish you the very best in whatever you do and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Everybody is different..what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another ..but please at least consider putting you taper off till after the holidays and take the sub to protect yourself.
Good luck in whatever you do............Judy

Post subject: thx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Judy,

I am not trying to be an asshole, but I understand all of that. The background was simply to give you an idea of my situation so you could help me talk about the taper. This forum is about stopping suboxone, thank you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Although this section of the forum is about Stopping Suboxone, this whole forum is about suboxone and remission/recovery. Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to all posts and threads. We encourage an atmosphere of honesty. Slipper was honest and genuine in her post and meant nothing offensive by her post. In fact she brings up an excellent point with which I happen to agree. It just makes no sense to me.

If you are interested I can explain to you why you've been feeling the way you have been on those low dosages of suboxone. If you had taken a higher dose as is recommended, you wouldn't have "felt" your dose like a regular pain pill and it would have extinguished your cravings even more than they did. Any dosing that you did feel would subside within a few days.

Enough said about that. On to your taper. You mentioned that it won't be that bad because you've only been using suboxone on and off for a couple of months. What you're failing to consider is that in between you were shooting heroin. Both are opiates and the brain doesn't know the difference between different kinds of opiate. So you are either dependent/addicted to OPIATES - all opiates - or none at all. Suboxone can help you taper off ALL of them. You are addicted to OPIATES - not suboxone.

Your taper does sound reasonable. Please make sure that you wait to be in withdrawals before inducing onto suboxone. You're lucky at this point that you haven't experienced precipitated withdrawals. That can happen if you don't wait long enough between taking a full opiate agonist and a partial opiate agonist (suboxone). You didn't mention that you were waiting for any withdrawals before taking sub, so I thought I'd just mention that.

If you can get access to comfort meds, all the better. And try to stay active, busy, distracted. That will help you get thru any withdrawals a lot easier. And take hot baths and get some exercise.

Good luck on your taper.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear Motts,
Wow, I am really worried about you. It sounds to me like you might be close to totally relapsing. I agree with hat that, although I know it sounds like your intention is to get off suboxone, your brain chemistry might not be ready yet. Try to look at the DR Junig's posts on how suboxone works and the current one on the ceiling effect. Look at it from a complete biological point of view. It is the chemistry in your brain that is off right now...if it were some other disease like diabetes or cancer, you would probably take meds and try to adjust the dosage as best you can to alleviate the side effects, but you would take it, bc it would mean your life...so does this. The side efffects can suck, not being able to pee, not being able to orgasm, sweating..etc etc, but if it is between my life and the side effects, I choose my life. And living clean feels so much better. Even the crap we face seems great compared to living as an active addict. I don't want to piss you off or offend you, I am saying this from a very concerned well meaning heart. As humans , we are lucky to have free will and you can use yours any way you wish, I just wanted to point out that I see addiction as a disease, like a cancer of the brain. And we don't need chemo to cure it, but some of us need suboxone to manage it. I know what a tough spot you are in...those little receptors keep talking to us saying, oh just one more time...It gives me goose bumps to think about what a tough time it is when we are relapsing. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Keep us posted if you would, because now I will be wondering how you are doing...Again, please take this in the manner in which it was intended. Just one addict talking to another about the tough choices we have to make and that there may be more than one way of looking at it. I truely wish you the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Motts, I just gotta say something I noticed in your story.

You actually never used Suboxone throughout that relapse period. You were abusing Suboxone. Your intention all along was to feel high. Maybe you thought Suboxone was a "safer" bet, that you could feel stoned from it without losing the life you've built up. I don't know.

That being said, NA & the 12 steps clearly work well for you. If you managed to get two years up completely abstinent, I'd immerse myself back in that program. And unfortunately for us, Suboxone & NA have never worked well together. You will no doubt have pressure to taper anyway.

So there's a couple of choices. You can look at how you relapsed, and look at the program you were working, and assess whether 12-step groups are still working well for you. Or you can acknowledge that it worked for 2 years, and get your ass back in the rooms, understanding that Suboxone will be a shorter term treatment. The feeling of going to a meeting and not being considered clean is not fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06 pm 
I'd honestly taper by smaller fractions than you have listed. Well, you should, because I wouldn't personally consider tapering at all if I were still in active addiction as you currently are....I hope you really hear what everyone else is saying..

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

friend I will pray for you, I hope you can find what your are looking for, just think about this, if the cravings get to bad put pill in you mouth before the needle in your arm. I have been on this stuff for almost 5 years with no relapses, I would like to think thats all will power but I think I needed the crutch suboxone gave me. What ever you do dont be afraid if you do slip to pull your self up and get help once more..

Post subject: responses
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker510- Thank you for the response, kind sir. I did not put Judy down at all, I appreciate her respond and kind words. God bless her.I know the science behind taking a low dose of suboxone and the receptors not being fully saturated, thus still causing cravings. Also I have read things about how low doses of suboxone actually act more like a full agonist than a partial, thus causing a "high, or buzz." Also the idea about dosing suboxone too soon causing precipitated withdrawal really doesn't matter in my cause because from my experience if you take small doses of suboxone so the receptors have some suboxone attached you can dose a full agonist and feel it partially, and then a couple hours after it wears off dose suboxone and not go into precipitated withdrawal because the suboxone is still attached to receptors. Thanks man, yea I think the taper looks good myself. I do a lot of yoga so that should help. I am going to stay super hydrated as well. I start tomorrow, so I will document the progress. If you have anymore comments or feedback don't hesitate! Thanks again brother, God Bless!

mrssky-Thanks for the post, no offense, but I was clean off everything for almost 3 years if you read my above posts. I am not really sure if I agree that if I want to get off something I cannot because my brain chemistry won't let me? Seems really far fetched. I have free will and I am making a decision to stop everything. I don't see why that cannot be done. Thank you for the kind words, if you have other feedback or comments don't hesitate, God Bless!

tearj3rker-Thanks for the post bud. "You actually never used Suboxone throughout that relapse period. You were abusing Suboxone. Your intention all along was to feel high. Maybe you thought Suboxone was a "safer" bet, that you could feel stoned from it without losing the life you've built up. I don't know." I would say that being I have an addict mind, that is really an angle that I was playing dude. Addicts always know other addicts thoughts, man! :) Dude, that is exactly what I am trying to do. Get off all opiates, and get back to the meetings. Thank you for the kind words, and if you have more comments, questions, or feedback get at me! Thanks brother, God Bless.

travispnorton-Hey, was I not clear? Did you not read anything that I wrote? I have interest in being in active addiction anymore that is the whole point of trying to get off brother. Thanks for the post, God Bless.

headchek-Hey brother, I hear yea. Thanks for the post. If you want to comment, or have more questions just shoot me a line. God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya mots' i red your post". up your subs. stop slipping. because you said you can not take it any more, right?
so look at it. your side effects on suboxone are not half as bad as the horrible hell you said you were going through on both. right? so'. hard to do 'but simple to say' come back on suboxone and lets try again .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 am 
OP, I really think that if you choose to attend xA, you should keep your sponsor's opinions away from your medication descisions. They are not doctors, and sorry, but no way does an (ex) crackhead understand why an opiate addict may need Sub to stop using.

I also think you should keep at a low dose (.5 mg/day?) for a few weeks and make sure you can handle not using before you decide to stop Suboxone.

Maybe you should see if it works for you. Maybe xA isn't? I just hope you aren't under any pressure to stop a (in good faith) prescribed medication from anyone you encounter at meetings.

EDIT: I saw in someone else's post that they thought that OP is taking too low of a dose to saturate his receptors and battle cravings. I am not gonna turn this into the high vs low debate I so love, but I do wanna chime in and say that I believe cravings are largely mental. At 2 months off dope I had horrible cravings at 6 mg. Now I take 1.25/day (it's been about 16 months) and rarely ever have a craving. Fixing my life, and TIME, that's what took away cravings for me. Sub never helped with that as much as I had hoped, for me. Others could be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mott, you clearly know how to live without Suboxone. 2 years clean is a fantastic achievement. You know what's best for you. You know you have the tools to live clean and sober. What you need to focus on, IMO, is where your recovery was lacking that brought on this period of relapse.

If, as you say, you relapsed despite doing all the "suggested things". Then maybe you need to broaden your scope, and get some extra tools from outside the NA program to reinforce your recovery. Maybe look into counselling, or a psychologist. Were you taking care of your mind / body / soul? Were you happy in your relationships? In your work?

I know the feeling of relapsing "on the program", so to speak. It made me realise that recovery is not just about practicing a program. It's a lot more than that. It's our life. When people relapse in the post-PAWS, 2+ years clean period, it's usually because we're in some way dissatisfied with our relationships, our career, or our "life balance". We've allowed things to get off kilter in some way.

It sounds to me you know in your heart that you can live without Suboxone, and at least in my humble, unprofessional opinion, you've proven it.

So for the taper. I suggest you go slower than that. ie staying on 1mg for a week, then taking 1mg and 0.5 mg alternating days for another week, then taking 0.5mg for another week. Etc etc. Spread it out over 2 months instead of 2 weeks. You might cringe at this thought, but trust me. It will make for a much smoother ride.

As for relapse prevention. What do you think led to your relapse, and brought on "the hunger"? If you want to hear about my relapse experience in the rooms, drop me a PM.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys for the responses.

Day 1- I took 1mg. I am starting to feel the withdrawals a little bit, so I took the suboxone. It has been 15-16 hours since my last dose of Heroin. I always feel like the depression and nastiness hits hard in the first two days. Here we go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Motts, just read your post and it makes me :roll: :evil:

What the hell we put our bodies through is amazing, now with a clear head it just makes me upset. I really feel bad for you and I really hope you can stop this circle you keep putting your body through. STOP the madness already,you say you want to be free of drugs. Well it aint gonna happen it you keep putting herion in your veins. Then WD then decide alittle sub alittle herion then again.
You asked for love and help, well you have to want to help yourself. We have lots of love here on this forum and plenty of support. I think we will have trouble helping you if your not ready to help yourself.
Your life is worth stopping this and live a life like you had for 3 years. You know what it is to live free of drugs but that does not always get us where we need to be. We know what we need to do but just can not do it alone. People have giving you advise and you say you know and you will. Well start today do whatever you have to do to stay away from herion. If it means back on subs so be it,do it.
Prayers your way Please get help
Mel

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

meltalk,

thanks. did you read my posts above? i haven't done heroin today. i am on suboxone, waiting for the rest of the previous heroin to leave my body, then i will start dropping my doses to be free of suboxone? i sometimes feel like people are not reading my posts because i clearly have stated what my goals and intentions are. thanks, god bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Mott yes I read all the post but really 15-16 hours ago is not that long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

motts wrote:
Dear Community,

tuff love- stay on suboxone, nobody wants to go to your funeral....also kid ( you are 22?), you're plan and rationale is junky-retarded..I just said a 5 second prayer for you (seriously)

Post subject: also
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

stop being so damn defensive. ALL these people took time out of their day to respond because we genually care...what's that saying? take the cotton out yer mouth stick it in yer ears, and sit on your hands ( that's an AA saying and I'm not even an AA fan) When you are at the point of sticking needles in your arm= stay on bupe

lemme guess, you are about to stop smoking too? I was just like you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Mott yes I read all the post but really 15-16 hours ago is not that long ago.

Post subject: Re: responses
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 pm 
motts wrote:
travispnorton-Hey, was I not clear? Did you not read anything that I wrote? I have interest in being in active addiction anymore that is the whole point of trying to get off brother. Thanks for the post, God Bless..

I read everything you wrote, so maybe it was me that wasn't clear. You were asking opinions on your listed taper schedule, right? I responded by saying that If it were me, I would do a taper that was slightly slower than the one you are proposing. I then said that *I* wouldn't but you may want to because I, myself, wouldn't consider getting off Suboxone if I was still in active addiction as you clearly currently are. Meaning, more or less, that you were shooting dope a few hours ago...What makes you think that Suboxone was contributing to that? It seems to me that when you were actually taking Suboxone you weren't shooting dope, when you weren't taking Suboxone you WERE shooting dope minus the period of NA time. I get that you had three years completely abstinent with the fellowship of NA/AA...but what happened to it? Obviously at some point you started using again and it sounds like this has happened multiple times, you've been on Suboxone more than one period of time, right? Sounds to me like you've given complete abstinence a try and it worked for awhile but eventually you returned to active use...Why is an important question for you to figure out for you.. Sounds like you didn't use Suboxone 100% correctly and it didn't work for you. What is best for you, I'm not in a position to tell you as a guy on an online forum. Just seems to me that what you should do to be successful would look somewhat different than what you've done up to now, because what you've done up to now has been ultimately unsuccessful in the long run. Good luck.

-Travis