It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, about a year ago I started looking into what it would take to get me "legal" again in the realm of firearms, etc.
And I came across a couple of lawyers.
I explained via telephone to 2 different lawyer what I had done, nearly 10 years ago...and that I have 1 count of ID theft against me, and it's a family member. And that I had nothing before that, and nothing since.
They told me it would be $3500, but they would put me in front of the Board of Pardons and Paroles within 1 year of handing them the cash..
I took the information and thought about it ...
Until a couple of weeks ago. I decided to pursue this myself, without the help of an attorney. If I can't get it done by myself, then I will seek legal help...and pay..
But why should I pay them if I can do it myself?...

I requested the interview to begin the process...
And I have to meet tomorrow with the guy that will be handling my case...the probation officer...
With me for the meeting, I'll need to bring a packet of information about myself that they requested...
And also I need to have at least 3 character references from people who aren't family ...

I have some really good character references, but the icing on the cake has come in the form of the victim being willing to also give me a good character reference.
I asked on Saturday and he said yeah, he would be willing to give me a letter...
So, I get to take a character reference from the person who was the victim in my case!!!

I'm really hoping to get this over soon, but I've read it can take a while (up to a couple years) to have this done.
But I'm tired of knowing that just by protecting my family, I could get in some SERIOUS legal trouble.
Glad I don't live in a high-crime area.
But I will have my CC again...

Like I told (the victim)...I want that part of my life to be over, and this is the last thing that is hanging over me from that "era"...
I want to end that part and put it behind me for good...and this will be the step to do that.

I have a meeting tomorrow morning at 9am...and will have my character references from 1)my preacher, who said he would be very glad to give me a reference (known me for 5-6 years now)...and 2)my Indian friend who owns a gas station -- he's a retired college professor and has known me for a good 7-8 years..been to his (very nice) house...drove his vehicles...and most impressive to the board of pardons, I've handled his money for the store on several occasions.. He fully trusts me with his store and such.
then, 3)...the victim in my case...
That should speak massively for me, or so I'm hoping.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck, hope this goes well
Consider 'getting legal' so you can vote, run for local office, work for the post office and downplay the CC part.
Considering the backing you have and the time I hope you will get your rights back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I decided to pursue this myself, without the help of an attorney. If I can't get it done by myself, then I will seek legal help...and pay..
But why should I pay them if I can do it myself?...

All sounds good Jonathan, and I wish you the very best. I can well understand how important this must be to you.

My only question is, are you sure you can get a new hearing right away if you don't make it on your own.
Is it possible there's some sort of time constraint on a second hearing?

I'm not a lawyer, so have no idea if that's a legitimate concern. Just thought I'm mention it. It does sort of
sound like the kind if thing you can do by yourself. Your case sounds strong.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

docm2 wrote:
Good luck, hope this goes well
Consider 'getting legal' so you can vote, run for local office, work for the post office and downplay the CC part.
Considering the backing you have and the time I hope you will get your rights back.

The part of this that nullifies is...back in 2012 I was sent a voter registration card. This "case" took place in 2010. I was shocked, but figured it was a mistake. So off to the polls I go..with my DL in hand...just to see if I COULD vote. I didn't think I would be able to..since i hadn't requested my voting rights restored...
Lo and behold I was on the rolls to vote...and hadn't even requested to be restored for voting privilege.
So I already have that particular right. I've voted in the last 2 presidential...and every state election since 2012 when I found out I had rights.

Alabama just passed legislation (I think)...that will automatically restore voting rights to a person with a non-violent felony conviction if nothing else has occurred since the conviction...and the felon has to do nothing in order to receive the restoration.
Luckily for me, mine was restored without me doing anything waaaaay before this law got passed.

And yes, there is a 1-year waiting period if I try to do this by myself and don't succeed. That's why I'm taking the paperwork from the victim in my case to show the parole board..."hey, the guy who prosecuted in this particular case, who is also family member, has said he believes that I am a different person and have changed my life, and that I should be considered for this"...

If that doesn't speak masses, then I don't know much more a lawyer could possibly accomplish for me...or that's my line of thinking. The victim is even in-favor of me getting my rights back and expunging this from my record because he knows that I've cleaned myself up....so what reason do they have to deny me that request...

That's the main reason I'm pursuing it. Plus, the victim is getting older..and I don't want something to happen before I get this chance to do this and not have his voice in the matter to speak on my behalf.
The victim will be notified when they ask me to appear for interview at parole hearing..and he will have the option to object...which he said he wouldn't do.

I'm hopeful ...and looking forward to tomorrow morning at 9am.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 pm 

I'm totally interested in hearing what happened yesterday morning!!

Update please.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well...I went into the meeting... running late, as usual, when I have something important to do, I can't ever get there on-time...but it was fine. I got to the elevator and realized that I left my birth certificate (which I picked up while I was on vacation in Slidell...so I could make sure I was able to get it since I wasn't born in the state where I currently live)...
I went anyway and decided to tell them that I forgot the BC at home and my daughter was on her way with it, and she would be there within 10 minutes..
He said it was OK...I could get it back to them later..

Interview begins..he went over all the paperwork, asked a few questions about my family and growing up (it even confuses me sometimes)...
I was adopted, but the people that adopted me was my grandfather and step-grandmother. My grandfather died when I was 8 years old, and my step-grandmother remarried...
The guy she remarried was the one who was the victim in my case of Identity Theft.

I had a letter from the victim, as I said previously. I had a letter from my preacher at church. And I had a letter from my Indian friend who owns a small business in town (gas station).

He said that was great. I asked what my chances were of having the pardon granted -- to that he replied "oh, 100%...well, 99%. You've even got the victim in on this"...
Then he explained how long this process would take. He said it might be up to 5 years. FIVE DAMN YEARS!!!
He said there IS a way to expedite the process down to being complete within 2 months.

And I have a method to do so...

He said ..and I quote:

"if you're trying to get food assistance, or trying to get better housing and applying for section 8 housing or something along that line with assistance, or trying to get a job or a promotion on a job, and they say that we would give you food stamps, or we would give you housing, or we would hire you (or promote you) but you have this charge against you that's on your record, then you can get a letter from them stating that you are being negatively impacted by not having this removed in a timely fashion and the entire process goes from 5 years down to 2 months."

When I heard that....I immediately thought about my Indian friend, the business owner.
I've already talked with him about it, and he's willing....
All I have to do is get him to type up a letter saying that I would be offered a job with him, but since i have this charge, he has a risk of higher insurance because he would hiring someone with a charge of Identity theft against them and his rates would increase with that...and that if I didn't have this charge against me, he would give me a job...
That would do it. He's more than willing to do it too.
And if the job doesn't come to fruition, then that's beyond my control (he's trying to sell the store anyway...so if it's not like I'm really trying to get a job with him)...
If I wanted a job all I have to do is say "hey, let me work a few hours a week"...

But, I think by September, I will have a clean record.
I'm not in any hurry to get the letter from my friend about expediting the process...although I am anxious to get this over with.
I will probably wait a week or two and let them dust settle on my paperwork, then I will get the letter and get that done.

I'm SO glad I didn't pay a lawyer $3500 to do just the exact same thing as what I did.

And I've already told a friend of mine how easy it was, and he has the same thing as me --- 1 felony on his record that he wants to get removed.

I asked the probation officer how it would look on my record after I am granted the pardon -- he said that the charge is still there, but out beside it on the NCIC it has *PARDONED* and won't show up when purchasing a gun or whatever.
And when I apply for my concealed carry, I just take a copy of my pardon with me to the sheriff and they use that.

I've been SO scared that I would be caught the last couple years with my pistol ....
That's ALL I need...to be caught as a "felon in possession"...and the hopes of having a pardon will fly out the window.
And now, that's even more of a thought on my mind.
Speaking of, I just remembered that my 9mm is under the seat of my truck...I keep forgetting to take it out.

At any rate, I won't have that worry much longer. I just got to remain on the straight and narrow between now and then -- which in-turn means I don't get caught carrying my pistol!!

I told my wife that with the amount of crazy people this day and age...it's hard to NOT carry a gun concealed...because you just never know when some idiot will start shooting up the place.

It happened this morning in Alexandria.....
Pretty common occurrence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 am 

I'm so glad it went well and that he was willing to give you the information to have your case expedited! Good stuff!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

that's awesome. i hope it works out for you.
it sad when people lose their gun rights and can't even hunt. its the main hobby where i live. plus you can put food on the table.

good luck! i'm sure you'll keep us in the loop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have since went back to my Indian friend who owns the gas station and got him to type up a letter (actually, I typed the letter after he told me to just say whatever I wanted to and he would sign it)...and the letter stated that if I didn't have a previous charge of identity theft, he would give me a job.. And that working with customers credit/debit cards and various forms of identification presented a risk and possible insurance increase in premium versus someone who didn't have that charge on their record.. (pretty smart, eh)...
I also put on the letter that "since being robbed twice in the last 2 years, once at gunpoint, I prefer to have the store armed at all times and his previous charge keeps him from possessing or being near firearms."
Then I asked to please show leniency and expeditiously grant the pardon..

I actually just turned that in this week..
The guy told me 2 months when the letter is sent in, so maybe by September I will have my hearing and all will be golden! (or in my case, maybe nickel-plated, or cerokoted)...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm 

Crossing my fingers for ya. It sounds like you've done all a person can do with the exception of asking the President for help.

The waiting has to be the hardest part of this deal. Thinking positive thoughts for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd say the worst parts now is 1) the waiting...and 2) I keep forgetting to take my 9mm out from under the seat of my truck and leave it at home.

I took it on vacation with us, my wife and I both were armed on our trip to the gulf coast, then Slidell, then to McComb..

She had her CC license tho...but me on the other hand, I would have to convince a cop that my wife had 2 pistols in her possession.

Either way, they could really *uck with me about that.
I'm not even supposed to be in the same household as a gun of any kind (which is BULL). I think this is the most ridiculous thing EVER. Ok, I made a mistake (over a decade ago)..and I've paid my restitution (9 years ago)..and now, I'm still suffering from the effects on that mistake on my life after I've done what I was ordered to do by court....
And if I don't do all this jumping through hoops to get a pardon, then I spend the rest of my life paying for that mistake by never being allowed to have a gun, have a Concealed Carry, or buy a firearm of any kind?

I understand doing the time for doing the crime. I did that. And I have since moved on and did better for myself.
What I don't get is the continuing punishment.

So, I may not take a job with my Indian friend -- he knows, I know, and everyone here can probably guess that we lied on that letter to just get things to speed up for me.
He doesn't intend to offer me a job. But that's not their concern either...
There's no way I want to wait another 5 years for them to finally get me into the pardon system...
That's just absurd.

I will have to travel to the state capital, and I will have a hearing in front of 3 judges. They will look over my paperwork, read my character references, and then they will decide whether to grant or not.

So I will have to prepare a speech to say in front of them...and I'm going to make it sound as eloquent as possible -- maybe with a few big words.
But we are talking about Alabama judges here, so I don't want to get too technical with big words and confuse them.

If I start babbling on about recidivism rates and how I kept myself from becoming a vicious cycle of drug addiction and imprisonment ...then how I've managed to clean up my life and better myself to be a better citizen and a better husband and father, and how I have realized how what I did was wrong, and I take full blame and responsibility for those actions, and have done everything in my power to reverse that wrongdoing and make amends...maybe they will all 3 vote yes for a pardon...

Then I simply take my pardon letter to the sheriff's office and apply for my concealed carry...and they can't refuse it.
Then I can travel to other states...
And I can get pulled over and tell the officer as soon as he approaches my window -- nothing. I just hand them my CC card...
You aren't required by law to tell an officer that you have a weapon..but it's in the best interest of both you and the officer if you just give him your CC and let him ask if you're armed.
At that point you should just keep your hands on the wheel, tell him where the gun is, if it's loaded...and ask how you should proceed.
Most times they don't give a f***. They'll tell you "just don't pull it out and we won't worry about it."

Last time I open-carried, I had a cop look dead at me with the gun on my hip and he never said a word.
They aren't trying to hold-up people who aren't committing crimes...
But I hate knowing that I can't legally carry something that I should have every right under the sun to carry.
That will soon end though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm 

Once you take the CCW class you'll find that it is up to us to research each and every city, state, county, etc., to see if our CCW permit allows us to conceal carry. My permit in Nevada is only good for about 6-8 states the last time I checked. But even where I live, if I go one city over, to Boulder City, I have to stop before entering their county and put my unloaded firearm in the trunk. Same state, different county rules.

If I get caught concealing my gun in a place where it is prohibited, I lose my permit. It is up to us, the card holders, to know the law wherever we go. If they offer you the Florida CCW paperwork, get it. More states accept their permit than Nevada's. With both Florida and Nevada, a person can carry in roughly 28 states, not counting any local rules.

The class did supply us with a website to check all jurisdictions. And FYI. I would NEVER open carry no matter what. We recently had a security guard shot and killed just to get his Glock on his hip. It's just asking for trouble. Concealed is always the best way to go.

Good luck once again. And be an apt pupil in class.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never liked open carry. The only time I've ever done it was when I was being overly proud of a new gun and also knew it would garner questions if it showed from under my shirt a little -- which it did.

But to me, open carry is asking for problems (even though I have a holster that a gun can't be taken from by someone unless they ripped my jeans where the holster is placed)

I've not heard much on Florida and their CCW being widely accepted, so that may be, but here in Alabama, we try to get the VA non-res card. It can be done online and mailed. It has a 30-state recip.
Usually the ones I see open carrying are these young kids who are quick to grab a gun at the first sign of trouble...and they think that's the only way to deescalate a problem.

The only time I've EVER pulled a gun, and I didn't even unholster it, was on the road when this guy was in front of me for about 2 1/2 miles, and flipping me off for the entire 2 1/2 miles, making "come-here" motions at me, and I was actually afraid to just pass him because I had no idea why he wanted me to "come here". SO...I raised my gun (NOT pointing at anyone, barrel down)...and let him know that I had a weapon. He stopped with his road-rage BS, slowed down, put the windows back up and left me alone. I couldn't believe I had encountered an idiot of that class, but this wasn't a young guy either. He was older, with a handicapped tag, and had a passenger that was also older. They both took part in flipping me off and making gestures toward me.. Surprised me that the didn't wreck from all they were doing ..
What started it all was the guy sitting still at a green light, after 15 seconds of not moving, I just barely tapped the horn to let him know that traffic was moving (figured he wasn't paying attention). That quick tap on the horn pissed the guy off so badly that for the next 2 1/2 miles, he and his passenger acted like complete idiots. It's the only time on the road that I've ever been fearful of what someone was going to do...and I've seen plenty of road-rage...but never to that extent.
At any rate, I never intended to shoot anyone, so I didn't aim at anyone. I have a set of core beliefs with a gun, and I'm not going to unholster my weapon to scare someone. If I pull it out, then I fully intend to discharge it. I've always been taught to not pull a gun unless you intend to shoot. And don't point at nothing you don't intend to shoot/kill.
And NEVER say the words "I don't know" when it comes to anything about your own gun. Know if it's loaded, chambered, cocked, etc.
I don't play around with guns, they aren't toys. And I feel as though people are too quick now to grab a gun as the first thing to solve a problem. And guns don't solve problems. They create more than anyone will ever realize until they face that.

In the day and age we live, these young people don't care or value life. They just don't care. And that's sad.
But I am coming home to my family.