It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Employment urine test
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Privacy, I need to know if I list subutex on my pre-employment urine test form at a testing lab, does the list of meds I take get shown to the employer. I would think not, isn't that information private? I mean unless you are going for a job that requires some sort of clearance, I think, as long as one has a script then the test comes up negative and that is all that is reported to potential employer. If it is not listed and they do test for it, you are stuck. I saw a 15 panel dip test that included suboxone. There are many Doc's that say it won't show up but testing is constantly changing and I think it is better to be honest and not test positive - as long as the list of meds is NOT given to my potential employer. I haven't signed a medical release, so if I list it and am not hired, and I find out why, if it was the lab, I should be able to sue them. And sue them I will, since I have a friend who is a lawyer and this is basically like going to a doctor and that is covered under the law.
Any, comments would be greatly appreciated. The test is tomorrow and I am listing it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, your reasoning is sound to me. You could also ask the lab. Say, for instance I take an occasional valium which may or may not show as a positive as a benzo on a drug test. I would tell the lab, and I wouldn't expect them to tell my employer. The employer should just get a negative or positive. Right?

Good luck on getting the job!

(The funny thing is, I could pass a drug test when I was using an enormous amount of oxy by showing a legal script for hydrocodone 5s. Now, when we are going the legal route, it's a shame we even have to think about this. I hope the bias against subs changes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My understanding is that if you test positive for something the lab contacts you to confirm that you do indeed have a prescription for it. If you do, then nothing about that positive result is shared with the employer. At least that's the way I understand it to be. Good luck to you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Years ago, I took a drug test for a company I was considering working for and I was on OxyContin. The lab did call and question me on my OxyContin. I gave them the name of the pharmacy where I got my OxyContin filled and he was good with that. I may have gave them my Doctors name too, I don't remember? Anyway, I was offered the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, my mom runs the drug tests for the company both her and my husband work for. About 2 years ago my husband was injured and on vicodin and he had to take a random drug test. My mom told him to put down he had a script and she said when the labs come back that they wouldn't hold it against him from the script. She gets the result back as positive but he had a script and said that she has had this happen to other employees as well. I am not sure if its something that is different from state to state or if maybe it has to do with what is in the paperwork you sign from your employer. Also the company they work for gets federal military contracts, so maybe its because of that. So I would take the above advice and call the lab to find out what info they send to the employe, you can just call anonymously. I still highly doubt they will test you for sub. Chances are your employer doesn't even know what sub is and probably would not pay extra to test for it. You also could ask what type of test was ordered and if its a standard test then it would put your mind at ease. Good luck!

Post subject: Testing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:02 pm 

Funny this subject came up when it did. I recently applied for a job which will probably require me to take a drug test. I have no intention on telling them I'm on Suboxone, but if the lab does call, I'm covered.

It seems like most drug tests screen for opiates and other illicit drugs. If they are now checking for Sub I'd be surprised.

Post subject: Drug Test
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:!:
Buprenorphine is an OPIATE and will show in a standard test as such. If you HAVE a perscription you are covered as far as the Drug Testing is concerned. Dont know the laws or rules between the Drug Testing companies and the Emplorers as far as if they CAN ask "If" on drugs, what and why.........Then ya may have to deal with the "STIGMA" of being an addict. I was in NA and wore it proudly that I was a RECOVERING addict for 18+ months, but everyone is differant and some didnt take to it.
But YES IT WILL SHOW as an OPIATE !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the information. They may start testing for Subutex/Suboxone if enough is being illegally diverted to the street.
I went for the test at Lab Corp and all they did was collect the sample. I had to empty my pockets and I was alone in the bathroom. I was told not to flush - it was dyed blue.
After I came out, I initialed a few papers and that was it. They did not ask me for a list of medications. I called the company to which the sample is being sent and they will do the test, if it tests positive, which it will, I will get a call from the MRO Doctor and he or she will clear me. So it depends on how the conversation goes, if I'm told what I failed for I may be able to avoid mentioning subutex. It's kind of a moot point, since the only information passed on to my employer (contract house) is whether I passed or failed. The woman I spoke to warned me against telling anyone at my employers any details about my meds - they only get pass or fail from the testing company. She was very nice.

Apparently, there were privacy issues when "donors" were filling listing meds at the collection site.

This is not a military contract so there is no issue with me having to allow them to check my medical records.
I'll let all of you know how the conversation goes.

Good luck with Hurricane for those of you who, like me, are on the East Coast.

Post subject: Re: Drug Test
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

okla51m wrote:
Buprenorphine is an OPIATE and will show in a standard test as such. If you HAVE a perscription you are covered as far as the Drug Testing is concerned. Dont know the laws or rules between the Drug Testing companies and the Emplorers as far as if they CAN ask "If" on drugs, what and why.........Then ya may have to deal with the "STIGMA" of being an addict. I was in NA and wore it proudly that I was a RECOVERING addict for 18+ months, but everyone is differant and some didnt take to it.

Actually, I believe it depends on the test being given. A basic four/five panel test typically will not test for Suboxone and there is a special, and I have heard rather costly, seperate test for Suboxone. On a personal level I was drug tested once where they used a five panel test and even though I was on Suboxone at the time it did not show up n the test. I know because they told me in order to pass it I had to be completely clean, no suboxone no nothing and I was less than honest at the time and told them I was not on Suboxone or nything else at that time. Suboxone was the only drug I was on and trying to taper. So I believe they were testing for full opiates, cocaine, benzos and weed but not Suboxone or it would have showed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with skayda, it does depend on the type of drug test used. Your basic tests for opiates don't test for suboxone and it doesn't usually show up. The test must be looking specifically FOR suboxone in order for it to show up.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been "cleared."
Since I didn't list any meds at the LabCorp collection site I knew it was going to come up "hot" for
Valium.
I got a call yesterday from the lab and they only asked me questions about using benzos. I have a script for Xanax and Valium but stopped taking xanax over a month ago.
Anyway, I had to fax them the label from my Valium script.
I had to go to the drugstore to get a copy of my script because I couldn't peel the label off the bottle and I tossed the bag that I bought the Valium in, which has a peel off label.

I don't know what they tested for but subutex didn't show up.
I was supposed to start work yesterday but my contract house still isn't finished with my background check. I've been trying to push them along. I was so excited that I got cleared I did a stupid thing and called my contract house and told them I that the lab called me and I passed my drug screen. So my recruiter immediately gets suspicious as to why they called me and starts asking me if they asked me any questions. I said, "No." He rephrased it but basically asked me again. I just said, I don't know why they called me and told me. I was on the verge of telling him it is none of his business and if they try and use this as a reason not to send me my offer letter, I think I have grounds to sue them - but probably not, in what is quickly becoming the "People's Republic of America."
I forgot my exwife's, she's a lawyer, most important lesson, "Never volunteer information."
I assume they tested for heroin which I believe is an opiate, so whoever posted that subutex would show up is incorrect. Now as for suboxone, I don't know.

There is one advantage to being on the back nine of ones career, in 30 years I've only had to endure this stupidity 3 times but for those of you who are just starting out, you're going to have to piss in a cup for every important job you are offered. I shutter to think where things will be in 30 years.

Anyway, thank you all for your prompt and informative answers.

Now if these idiot would just finish the rest of my background check so I can get back to work. I won't feel comfortable until I'm physically in my new office.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I was having to go in for monthy urine screens through the courts, the suboxone didn't show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agreed to random testing as part of my aftercare program (which I am ending soon) and was told Suboxone does not show up. I am pretty sure it doesn't show up on a 5 or 7 panel which is what most places use. I am not sure if the test results sent to the employer list prescription meds or not.

Post subject: Re: Drug Test
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

okla51m wrote:

you dont know what you are talkin about,suboxne or subtex will not show up on any drug screen UNLESS they are actively looking for it,and for that to happen it takes a rather expensive special test to screen for buprenorphine.but on a regular 5or10 panel drug test suboxne/tex will not show up case closed.if you do not know what you are talkin about,it is best to keep you OPINIONS to yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ummm, multi-panel tests that detect Buprenorphine, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opiates (300ng cut off), Benzo's, Cocaine and THC (aka Marijuana) are only $3.80 each.....not very expensive.

While the multi-panel tests that include Buprenorphine are not too common as of this moment, more and more employers are beginning to test for it. Our company just specified the addition of Buprenorphine to all pre-employment drug screens about a month ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My 2 cents: I just got tested a week ago for employment, I did not disclose to the tech anything nor did I have to fill out any forms. I was told that if there were any questions I would be called. It must have been just the standard UA, cause I did NOT get called about the Sub. Got the job and start tomorrow, Monday. I guess it depends on the test.