It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My employer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Will my insurance tell my employer that I am taking Suboxone? I am paying cash for Dr appointments and am not filing reimbursement. I am however running Suboxone through insurance.. Does HIPPA protect my medical records?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I belive that is privite imformation, your employer has no idea what meds your taking unless you tell them. Noone has a right to give anyone your records unless you give them permission.
Mel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mel is right, unless you give your employer permission to see your medical records it is confidential. Even if you receive your insurance thru your employer they have no access to what you have used your insurance for.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Both Mel and Breezy are correct. Here's the only problem, have you potentially signed anything that would give your employer this information? See, that's where the real trouble comes in. So often, employers, insurance companies, doctors, etc. have us sign all sorts of paperwork. It is often pages long in tiny little print. Othertimes we just check a box on-line on the computer that says we "agree" to everything that is listed in pages of text. That's where your concern is going to be. As a matter of law, they should have to get permission to tell your employer what medications you are taking. However, as a matter of fact, you may have already waived that right and you really don't even know that you did it.

Rather than ask this question of a bunch of people on a web site, I would strongly suggestion you ask someone who really knows that answer - that being your insurance company and/or your employer. If you are worried, perhaps you can have a co-worker ask for you - perhaps one that takes no controlled substances? Or you can just simply say "I'm just trying to learn more about how our insurance here at ACME Company works, can you tell me if you obtain any of my medical information, like my medications, treatments, diagnosis, etc.?" That way you'll know for certain.