It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Everyone, I figured I'd get a new start here and do some intro as well as update from my drs appt. So where to begin...lol just kidding! I'll make it quick! ;) I was on oxys for 5+ years, started very honestly with legit pain. As time went on it slowly turned into an addiction, I no longer took the amount I was prescribed, I mostly took double and then some! My husband has back issues so he was taking oxys as well, so I'd usually have my script, most of his script and bought more! It became a serious problem that I finally had to face. So fast forward to last Monday. I started seeing a doc for suboxone. I've had a few ups and downs getting to the right dose, but I think for now I'm pretty stable at 8mg/day! Today I had my 2nd appt with the doc. He pretty much said I was doing great, and he'd see me again in a month! lol I tried showing him my journal with everything I took each day but he was a tad busy for that silliness ;) he suggested I attend meetings, which I've been planning to do anyway! I talked to him very briefly about the support I was getting here and he suggested I skip this and just attend meetings! Haha silly guy! Anyway, I went to leave and realized they never did a pee test so I went back in and asked if they wanted that? The nurse said unm sure why not? Lol so there you have it! I'm feeling great today, tonight is Passover dinner with my hubs family, where wine is part of the night with the prayers and all so this should be a good test for me to be around everyone drinking, but none for me! I told hubby to let them know the situation so they wouldn't be offended with me not drinking! Thank you all for the continued support! This hasn't been easy but it's been so much better with the help from you all!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eventually, you'll get to a place where you are turned off by any alcohol. At least most of us are. Nothing kills a good drink like suboxone maintenance. :lol:

Seriously though, however suboxone works, it also blocks euphoric affects of alcohol. I can even go further by saying that I felt genuinely shitty any time i tried to have a casual drink while on suboxone. I only tried a few times before I was completely over it..

Great idea for a new thread!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you tinydancer!!! At this point in the program with my doc I'm actually not even allowed to drink alcohol, not like they really care to check it seems! lol but yea I'm glad to hear its not something I'd even enjoy! Really good to know! Thanks for the help!!! This really is an awesome place for support! :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Great to hear Emmy! I too was wondering about the alcohol, my brother's wedding is coming up in September and I was wondering how I was going to handle it, I've never been a drinker at all so this isn't an issue.

Is it ok to have an occasional beer with the guys? or is it going to hurt me in some way? also, TD, I'm new to the forum as you know, is this what you call "Hijacking" someone else's thread? or is ok to go off of this one? or just make a new one?

Steve

P.S. Keep up the good work Emmy! I see a major difference in you! :)

P.S.S I didn't mean to hijack your message lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Haha no problem!!! Hijack away!! :) I've been told that anything that can cause an addiction is a no-go for recovering addicts! Hopefully TD can help with advice too! I think it's called a gateway? If I'm correct about that, I'd love TDs oppinion as well!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 pm 

Good job Emmy, sounds like your doing great.

Wonder77, I guess highjack ing is when the subject is completely changed and anyway from the op..

and TD 's correct, it just seems on subs drinking just plain sucks. Lol..thank god..ive tried it too. My buddies miss me at my old good time places but so be it.. goood luck to all.....razor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Also Steve, check the paperwork you signed for your sub program. You may not be allowed to drink, ya know? I'm not sure how long it stays in your system though. I'm just trying to follow the docs rules myself though, but no judgment on how you do things! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:01 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have groug on Wednesday night! i'll let you know what I find out! thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the info Raz!! Good to hear from you today! missed our convo's since Saturday! hope all is well! seems our friend Emmy is doing good! We can do it guys!!! Keep it up!

Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I can't find your thread Steve, is it under intros? Just wanted to check it out :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

new-suboxone-and-this-forum-t10214.html

Here is the thread, I think I did it right?? It's nothing special lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 pm 

Hi Emmy! I'm glad you have a new thread going!

I know that you had a sucky beginning here, but I think you may eventually look back and be a little glad it turned out this way. Because a lot of great people are rallying around you.

One of the things that "K" did, in either persona, is to take over a thread to the extent that other people didn't feel like they had room to chime in. She did everything she could to make sure that new people, or fragile people depended on her. One funny thing I noticed is that if Tinydancer or I welcomed someone first she wouldn't post on the thread unless it was of particular interest to her.

I'm glad you decided to stick around!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Aw thanks Amy!! Glad to be here!! Yea I really felt dependent on BP the first week!! It feels a lot easier now, it was maybe me as well though so nervous to do anything wrong with the meds! Anyway, thanks so much for all the support!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Any suggestions for the headaches? I totally forgot to ask my doc this morning! Ugh of course this morning was the one time this week I didn't have one! I've been trying excedrin, aleve, ice packs. I'm guessing its from the suboxone but if there's any suggestions I'd be so greatful!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hopefully someone sees the above post I wrote about headaches!! I also wanted to share something potentially funny! So last night, Passover dinner, not only did hubby NOT tell anyone I wasn't drinking wine, but it was awkward of course as I thought it would be. Seriously how do you explain to 20 people ummm sorry I'm not drinking, see I had an addiction problem.... Yea, no that's not happening. So whatever I brought my own soda and would just fill my wine glass with it whenever People looked at it being empty haha so stupid I know but my hubby turns into a clam around his grandparents! Anyway his aunt winked at me when I said no thank you to six wines she offered, lol. So we got to the car at the end and I'm like OMG they prob think I'm pregnant and thats why im not drinking!!! Yea they are prob in there right now saying how fat I looked anyway! Hahaha just thought you guys might get a kick out of that! They will be extramly disappointed to find out nope that's not it, I'm just not allowed to drink getting off the drugs!!! Hahaha I should have stood up during the prayers and announced that! If you knew the strict Jewish family my hub was from you'd understand!!! I bite my lip and say nothing all the time, it's not me, but I do it for him!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

lol, good for you!! and glad you back up your husband and his family's beliefs! You are doing so great! it's awesome you resisted drinking. BIG step! My family knows I'm not a drinker anyways so that part won't be too bad, my mom, and brothers are the only ones that know my issue right now, and we are going to keep it that way, but like my mom said if I ever need to tell people to help my recovery then feel free, but I don't want my aunts to think it was something my mom did wrong raising me. I don't want that to come back on her for anything. She appreciates that but was cool enough to say that she just wanted me to get better.

We skyped the other night, since I live 5 hours away from my family and she was saying how much healthier I looked by making better choices. I was glad to hear that. I've been taking medicine along with subs for my asthma and bronchitis and have been working out almost daily in the morning before work, so I have been feeling FANTASTIC!

Keep up the great work Emmy. We are all very proud of you!

Steve

P.S. Sorry I can't relate to the headaches....haven't experienced them to this point. Sorry you are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Having headaches while new to Suboxone seems to be fairly common. Most people get used to Suboxone fairly quickly and the headaches go away. For me, when I was on too high a dose, I would get a whopper of a headache.

We've seen a lot of people spit their saliva out after dosing, this seems to help with the headaches, too. The theory is it's the Naloxone causing the headaches. To the best of my knowledge, Naloxone is poorly absorbed by mucus membranes, but it's absorbed well in the stomach/intestines. So, if you spit your saliva out, less Naloxone gets absorbed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well Steve, I wouldn't try to beat yourself up about thinking aunts will think your mom raised you wrong. Instead look of it is your mom raised a strong guy who was able to recognize something was wrong and work hard to do something about it!!! Not that I'm one to give advice since I'm allowing hubby to hide my addiction from most of his family. I think part is that his grandparents are getting older with a lot of health issues, so he kinda acts like they are porcelain dolls. Certain things they can't know about or see in fear it would kill them?? I guess he's thinking? Him and his sisters are die hard rebels though. They are all COVERED in tats and hide them all from the grandparents, still, at 32! Hahaha, I don't get it but I've given up trying to understand, I just go with it!! Oh and Romeo, yes the headaches were worse when I had too much sub, but they are still here!!! Plus I'm really irritable, because of constantly having one! Loud noise and lights I just can't deal with right now. I've had migrains all my life but 8 days straight? No never!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am trying to wait till as late in the day as possible to take the half sub so we'll see if that helps! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh and I'll try spitting too ;) thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

O

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next