It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys I know that there's a lot of topics on this but I want to explain what's going on with me and see if you guys can help me!

I've been on suboxone for about a year and a half. Right now I am taking 4mg in the morning and 4mg in the afternoon. Throughout the year and a half I have suffered severely with constipation and gas from the suboxone and my poor diet. Mag Citrate helped the first few times I used it but the last time I used it (4 months ago) it just made me feel worse and it didn't get all the junk out of me. I need to find a diet/medication that will keep me regular. Suboxone has saved my life and I am so grateful for it but sometimes the pain I get in my stomach is excruciating and makes me completely miserable. If I could just have daily bms my life would be perfect. Right now I use the bathroom about once a week but I eat a lot more that what comes out of me so I know i'm pretty stopped up. Please help me find the right medicine/diet that will keep me regular! Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Try coleez spell check. It's a softener in pill form you take daily. Also drink lots of water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

colace works really well as a softener, and miralax is also a great one that I've seen recommended here many times, and was always recommended to me after surgery, and also by my sub Dr, if I had this side effect. it works by drawing water into your colon to help get things moving along. like pugmommy said, lots of water is very important, also a diet that's full of fiber with lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Stimulant type laxatives can be good as a temporary solution, but be careful as your body can become dependent on them to have a bm if used too often. I'm sure this is a miserable side effect and I hope you find a remedy that works for you soon.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks a lot! When I read the mirilax it said not to take it for over 7 days...is it something that I can take every day to stay regular? definitely going to change my diet up too.

edit: and can i take colace with the mirilax?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you should definitely get your doctor's opinion about it if you feel unsure, but I know of many people who's doctor including my own, after my hysterectomy, and when prescribing opioids to me in the past, has advised them that miralax is safe to take on a regular basis along with colace for a month or more if neeeded. hopefully Dr.j or others will chime in with recommendations about how long to take the miralax or other products that could work for you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Miralax has always worked really well for me when I was taking tons of oxys. My family doc had recommended that. You may not even need to take it every day. I just use it once and awhile but my doc had said it was ok for every day. I just started trying the benefiber too, not sure yet on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Jneville,

THANK YOU for posting this! lol. I have been debating on posting about this topic!! I too am having issues! BIG TIME! I'm eating a TON and very little comes out and I am miserable today....I just got back from the pharmacy 20 mins ago from picking up my subs and I grabbed some laxative, swear to God lmao.....timely post. thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 pm 

Ive bought these kind of things, but what really did it for me were fruits. Still today.

Apple. ? Peaches, grapes nanas, rhose type of things.

just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've tried many remedies over the past 6 years or so that I've been on Sub...here's the best:
Go buy some name-brand or store-brand instant oatmeal. Either one works, as they both are extremely high in fiber...and will do the trick after a couple of days. I used to buy about 6-8 boxes a week, and would usually mix up 4 packs at once for a serving ...usually breakfast. If you do that for a couple of days, you'll wake up with a burning desire to run, not walk, to the shitter... with sheer urgency...
I know I did...it wasn't a matter of "I might need to relief myself"...it was more like "If this keeps up, I might need to invest in man-diapers." I found that eating oatmeal for every meal (read:3 times a day or so) will speed the process up tremendously. When I had my mouth worked on to the point of chewing air was excruciating, oatmeal was about all I could do...so I ate it 3 or 4 times a day...for about 4 days in a row. By day 2, having at 5 or 6 meals of nothing but oatmeal, I was afraid if I released any amount of "flatulence" that I would need a shower and change of clothing... It works that well.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there. The first time I was on suboxone, I had a poor diet and I was ALWAYS stopped up. Just once a week, just like you.

This time around on Suboxone, I have been eating yogurt and KAshi Honey Almond Flax seed every morning for breakfast. I totally swear by it. I go every morning after I wake up. NO matter what. So I know since suboxone has not changed from the 1st time and the 2nd time. I KNOW it must be my diet.

I also work out every day (light cardio) This helps keep things moving also.
Hope this helps.