It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been taking sub almost a year and read that it can cause liver damage. Has anyone experienced any higher liver enzymes since taking sub? Also, I've had an abcessed tooth for 3 weeks and had to have it pulled. I have had to alternate tylenol and ibuprophen for a month w/ 3 wks of cipro. Also, took that new NSAID nasal spray that is supposed to be as potent as opoids. Extremely tied by inc my sub dose quite abit. Think it's making me tired. Was almost off it twice. Had my liver enzymes checks after 3 weeks tylenol/ ibup and again one week after the nasal spray, sprix(which can cause severe fatiuge). Hoping the liver enzymes are ok and just adjusting from the half life of the meds from the past month.

Has anyone had elevated liver enzymes on subs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

my liver enzymes were actually HIGHER at induction, than 2 months into sub treatment. The Doctor checked them every 60days for like 6 months I think....
And Ive had a hellish history of abcessed teeth, (just got all the bottom 1s pulled, last abcess didnt respond to antibiotics), and my enzymes werent 'alarming' at all, is what the doctor said.
It is good though, to keep 'tabs' on it, is what my dr. told me, becuase everyone reacts to the bupe differently :)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thats all i can say is , all the shit i have been through in the past 35 years is'. it's not the soboxone to me :shock:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've experienced higher liver enzymes while on Sub ... but they definitely weren't caused by the Sub - I know that for a fact.

I just gotta say that a LOT of medications have warnings about potential liver damage / stress. It's mostly precautionary. If a medication had the potential to cause liver damage to previously healthy livers, it wouldn't be on the market. That's a fact.

The liver warnings on medications are mostly for people with existing liver damage (cirrhosis / fibrosis), or the elderly. I remember talking to my doc about Cymbalta (another med with liver warnings) and he said that he wouldn't be at all concerned for me given my age and my height / physical health. However when I did have Hep C - that's when my liver became more sensitive to these medications. EVEN still, any time I drank alcohol, even in moderation, my liver got stressed out more than it did from any of these medications. If anything, ALCOHOL should have big red liver warning stickers on each bottle more than these medications.

It was only when I was HCV+ that my liver enzymes were getting raised from meds - namely Sodium Valproate, Cymbalta and Suboxone. And taking multiple compounded the problem ... like - if I had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner I'd be fine. But if I did it while on Sub and Cymbalta while HCV+, I could almost be yellow the next morning.

BTW for those that don't know, my most recent HCV test was negative... so it's looking like I'm cured after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:06 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

made it to my appt. yesterday,, i was honest and said i ran out early. didnt get dose up ed which i am ok with that bc i learned that more had no better effect then what i am prescribed ( 16 mg/day). but i have had uncomfortableness in my upper right side. the ol liver quiver. on tuesday when i was suffering so ( i could have a sliver on wednesday) was the worse. so now i know i need to find primary physican to check it out. was told in early '96 you have hep c no follow up. so my thought is it the sub effecting me or just the yrs of over use of pills. subs r really saving me from using!! do i really want to know it could b them? i havent even begun to learn healthy behavior i.e. it was just last script (which was my first) that i misused. i am really wanting to give this time a better shot. i still am not sure what i am going to do if the urge to use more comes. once again this forum is really appreciated. oh yeah after re reading i failed to mention the fact that i didnt not check that i had liver problems when i went to sign up for sub treatment ( was afraid it would hinder the process) dang am i a dummy or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Man if you've got hep, you should be getting regular liver checkups. While Hep C is no death sentence, you've still gotta manage it properly. If you were diagnosed in '96 and have just carried on and forgot about it, then it'd be really wise to try and get a liver checkup in the near future. I'm unsure if there's hepatitis clinics where you're at, but some countries to subsidise hep clinics because it is a communicable disease (though nowhere to the extent as Hep B or HIV), and it's best for societies to stay on top of such things.

The liver pain (or 'upper right quadrant pain') is a common complaint of Hep. I started feeling it soon after I contracted it. It especially flared up after I'd have a fatty meal, or a couple of beers. At its worst i'd get night sweats as well. It's actually come back since treatment finished, even though I don't have Hep. My doctor thinks it's gallstones as a result of having Hep C (HCV and gallstones are linked).

If I were you, I'd start reading up on hep C now and what it means. Managed properly, people still lead really healthy lives. The people I've known who chose not to do treatment are actually healthier than most people because they watch their diet carefully and don't drink.

There are HEAPS of resources online, support groups etc. Punch Hep C into google. And seriously, get a checkup. While the liver does repair itself, if it's under stress for long periods it doesn't have a chance to.

Take care and don't stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

when i was in prison in 2004 i had them run tests i(i told them i was concerned) liver enzymes were fine. over the years have had pain off on but as far as hep c and gall stones then hm i had to have my gallbladder removed in 2010. worst pain ever. but been pretty well ok since. i know i need a dr. for it. today is okay but on my subs too. my daughter is studying for her rn and i mentioned to her about my liver hurting and she kinda was upset for the fact that it is not good to not keep monitored for the fact there r meds out there to keep it in check if need b. it was to my understanding that the kind i was diagnosed with was just positive in liver test but not to bad for living life. now i sound like i better go research and mayb get on phone tomorrow and find primary care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

tearjerker did you have hepc then not? i not understanding the treatment and i dont have hep statement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah. I had Hep. I did 6 months of treatment for it last year. While I'm technically not yet cured, my last test was negative, and if the next one in three months is negative, then I will be cured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

i went and read a little on google. probally made the biggest mistake by not monitoring my liver. to my understanding acute hep is prob what i had but that turns to chronic eventually. its better to treat before that stage. so like the rest of my life due to addiction i put every thing on the back burner due to using. its really amazing how i feel like i am re submerging after being on subs. i am so far taking them right. actually i am prescribed 8mg/twice daily. i have found doing pretty good on 4/twice a day. i need to go back and read some forums on dosing again to see if others r doing same and what the outcome was. i did go to opiophile and bluelight but found i was reading a bunch of junk in between useful knowledge it almost made me want to take another strip lol. but here its pretty grounded. ty this has been a serious tool in helping me thru this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I find with opiophile and bluelight that people are still talk about using a lot.

Don't stress too much wisharer but it's still definitely worth getting your liver checked out. Do some reading on hep. 25% of people can have acute hep but clear it naturally. The other 75% end up with chronic hep, which for the most part just sits there. Occasionally it inflames the liver, which gradually can damage the liver over time.

Once a person has chronic hep, the only cure is treatment.