It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:?: Hi Folks, you have never let me down, so hope to receive your wisdom now. When we first met my son admitted his addiction; asked for help; went on suboxone; quack doc overdosed him insanely; he quit sub; relapsed; got back on with a good doc; mixed sub with xanex; should be dead; went to rehab ($20k); relapsed; robbed dear elderly neighbors; got arrested. GOOD TIMES..NOT! He has been 4 months clean while incarcerated and is debating whether to try sub again or not. He has developed a love of learning and doesn't want to go on sub if it will interfere with his brain healing and development. Please remember, he is still a kid with a rapidly developing brain. Oh, he will also be home schooled,
away from temptation, unless he seeks it out. Opinions, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone doesn't inhibit learning anywhere near as bad as his drug of choice will.

I'm guessing your son is very young and the statistics for a young person staying clean are horrendously low. I hate to put it to you like that, but it's the simple truth.

Also, the fact that he's gonna be home schooled is a good thing, it gets him away from some of his triggers, but that is in no way, shape or form any kind of guarantee that he won't eventually seek drugs out. Your son is an addict, unless he has some real good recovery under his belt when that temptation to use hits, he's gonna use.

The fact that he's been abstinent while in jail is great, but I'd be more excited to hear that he's been abstinent and attending NA and seeing a drug counselor and serious about his recovery.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, I'm simply refuse to sugar coat anything for ya. If he were my son, I'd HIGHLY suggest Suboxone and intensive counseling. I remember being in my late teens and getting busted for using drugs by my parents and I lied through my teeth to them. I told them I was done with drugs, I put on a real good cry baby face and I lied and lied and lied. It's what we addicts do in order to keep doing drugs. They bought every one of my lies, hook, line and sinker.

Again, sorry if I'm coming off as harsh.....it's just that I was where your son is and I'd hate to see his addiction continue to have its way with him for even 1 second longer.

Best of luck to both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have to ask you said your son was overdosed on suboxone, how much was he told to take by the previous Doctor(s)? I'll also have to agree that as young as your child is suboxone is his best chance of staying off his drug of choice. You might not want to believe it but as an addict your soon WILL lie to you and will do things behind your back when it comes to doing his drug of choice. Suboxone isn't the only thing it is only a tool that can help an addict who wants to stay sober do so but if your son doesn't want to stay sober the suboxone cannot do it for him. I wish your family the best of luck with this.

Melanie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for your opinions. I am under no delusions about my son's addiction. He has been to rehab twice and now has been incarcerated. He has lied and stolen from me for years. He used Xanex while he was on suboxone. It is a miracle that he is alive. He is a an addict through and through.

The quack doctor had him up to 32mg of sub 3X per day. He weaned down to 4mg, but started in on the Xanex. He went to an abstanence based rehab and they weaned him off everything, including suboxone. He relapse and went to jail for buglary.

What is different now? He doesn't want to see his old friends, he wants to go to college, he is looking forward to home schooling and working on a farm. He says he has no cravings now, but fears that when he gets released and can get access to drugs the cravings will kick in again.

He said he doesn't want to take suboxone if it will interfere with his brain development. He finally recognizes that his is above average in intelligents and doesn't want to screw that up.

One thing that scares me is that he is not excited about NA. He says he'll go but no longer wants anything to do with anyone who has taken drugs or has a past like him. If not actively embracing NA, I definately want him on sub (preferably subutex), but it bothers me that he will not be working through the 12 steps and the root of his issues.

The other problem is finding a doc who will prescribe to an adolescent. The quack is out of the question, and the one we used after him has retired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand his fear of going on Suboxone, but I do think it's unfounded. As far as I know, Suboxone does not impair ones ability to learn.

Also, he needs to think this situation through logically (which is hard for an addict to do, we tend to live in denial about our addiction). To me, his situation appears to be to get on Suboxone and maintain a dose that addresses his cravings or he could roll the dice and give abstinence a shot. At this point in time, I don't think he's ready for abstinence....his last attempt failed miserably. He's worried about Suboxone interfering with his learning, I think he should be MUCH more worried about another relapse interfering with his ability to be alive.

If he's not interested in NA, that's fine. Maybe he could get in with a good addiction counselor. I think he needs someone to help him work through his issues with his addiction......the chances of him doing it alone are not good.

At the top of this page is a tab labelled Find Suboxone Doctors, you may have some luck finding a doctor there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello there. First of all, I just want to say that I am sorry that you are dealing with this. It sucks!

Second, and most important....Your son NEEDS anything to help him stay clean. I don't know why, but I can't
help but think that he doesn't want to go on suboxone because he wont be able to get as high, if he decides
to use. I'm sorry, but that would be my only reason for not wanting to save my life.

The highest APPROVED dose is 32mg DAILY. If he was taking 3x that, its no wonder he would worry
about not being able to think straight. If you find him a good doctor, which I know you are trying so hard to
do that, he won't be on near that dose. That will make a HUGE difference on how he feels while taking
sub. I am on 16~20mg daily and LOVE to read, write, and basically anything that is mentally stimulating.
Suboxone in no way interferes with that FOR ME.

I agree with Smuckerz and Romeo...Suboxone is not the end all, cure all, for addiction. He has to want this.
He says that he doesn't want anything to do with anyone that has EVER done drugs.... He needs to be reminded
from time to time, where he came from. As soon as he forgets....he will relapse. We are not bad people, we
have a disease. Once he learns that too, he should be more willing to have a few acquaintances that have
been where he IS, that understand ON HIS LEVEL what he is feeling if cravings hit. Some addicts that
are in recovery, with a good bit of clean time, that can talk him down.
Also, Romeo mentioned out patient/therapy/counselor.....I second that.
I have an addiction counselor. He is WONDERFUL! I also had a therapist for a little while that
helped me through the initial reasons I used in the first place. She is great and I will see her
again, if I EVER even think I need to.

I think from what you have said that your son needs school part time and an INTENSIVE out patient program
that he goes to 5 days a week. He is so young and his life is SOOO important. I am a mother of 3, and
I get that you are huting and want to help. I do. I know how much you love him. I also know that you want him
to have an education. His education, can still be obtained 6 months later. His LIFE CAN'T!
I am sorry if this sounds harsh, it isn't meant to, and I am really really trying to help you.....
I URGE YOU, to GET HIM HELP WITH THE ADDICTION FIRST! Please. I cannot stress it enough.
The opportunity to educate him will always be there, but only if he is alive to take advantage of it.

Best of luck to you, and PLEASE keep us updated...I really really care. I do. PM me if you want to talk, or
just need another mom to chat with.......I mean that....Take care of yourself too mom...Kelly[/font]