It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Eclipse Time!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 am 

Well guys, tomorrow is the eclipse for those of us in the US and I'm sooooo excited! Is everyone going to be watching that can? I know myself & Razor had talked about it and we'll definitely be observing :)

I live in East Tennessee and I'm 33 miles from totality. Middle Tennessee will be in complete totality but if I step on my back deck I'll be able to see 98.5% of the eclipse. It's going all the way from Oregon to South Carolina. I'm not hugely informed about eclipses or anything but I'm excited and I hope some of u guys are also. It's going to be an awesome minute lol!!

There's a website I used and if u type in ur zip code, it'll tell u what percentage of the eclipse you'll be able to see. I can't remember exactly but I think it's Vox or something like that, I'm sure u can google it or I can look the exact website up and tell anyone who's interested.

There's schools cancelled around here and if u drive through Nashville there's all these huge flashing signs advising ppl to not pull over during the eclipse, all the eclipse glasses are sold out along with any hotel room around. There's actually a lot of madness (too much madness really) but I'm just gonna step outside and watch it all happen. I hope anyone else planning on watching has a great experience!! Let me know how u liked it, especially if anyone is in the totality path :)

Post subject: Re: Eclipse Time!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 am 

Jenn,
You are only 30 miles from a wonder of science and space. While 98% sounds great, Total is a completely different experience.
Please tbink about a short drive to the Total zone.
There are two great docs on Amazon that really opened my eyes to just how great it is. Im in the 88% zone and will NOT be looking up at the sun. Glasses or not. . We will enjoy watching the darkness come. Im kicking myself for not planing a 7 hour drive to see the Total.

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Great post Jenn!! I'm definitely pumped up and ready to go for blackout. I love science and I love anything that has to do with space especially. My dad raised me on a handful of classic sci-fi movies that we know by heart. In fact, to get ready for the eclipse we just watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind and 2001: A Space Odyssey in the last week.

There has been a crazy amount of excitement around here since there will be a total blackout just miles from me. Hotels are booked and nobody can find those darn glasses. Well you can on eBay for like $50 - $75 a piece. Whoa!! Somebody is raking in the dough. The only real concern now is cloud cover. I'd like to get a real good look at it myself.

A friend of mine is going to try and get personal drone footage and has a high speed camera hooked up to a telescope to get some great pictures. Should be fun... for a few minutes at least. I think the part I've enjoyed the most up until now has been some memes I've seen on Facebook. There was one where it was a note to God from America. It said something like... "Dear God, if you want Trump to leave the presidency please give us a sign in the heavens. Blot out the sun with your mighty finger. Some time in the next week would be good". That one cracked me up.

- OpenMind

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm in the 92% or something like that zone...I think. Central AL...a couple hours from the total zone...but with kids + school + nephew ...plus wife works tomorrow night...it's just too much to make that drive.

I had told my wife that i was keeping Reagan out of school to see the eclipse...but she already knows my trick. Every time it sprinkles a little rain or I think she may just be tired or need a nap, I'll suggest to my wife that I go check her out of school. It's really just because i miss her, but i make all sorts of excuses to try and get her from school...

However she won't let me get her from school for the eclipse tomorrow...she says "she doesn't need to miss any days"....blah blah blah....
ANYWAY!!

Will make the 'at-home' box+pin-hole viewer to look at it..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 am 

Well unfortunately my fiancé is going to be at work and my mom is having a small outpatient surgery on her arm today, and I don't have anyone else to make the drive with me so I just decided to stay at home and view the eclipse. I know I'll kick myself in the butt later but I'm gonna be home on the back deck with a #14 welding glass viewing this thing :) I could not find one set of glasses, they're sold out everywhere OpenMind, it's crazy!

I heard this news report the other day, this lady in Oregon has this farm and she got the idea to section the field off and sell the little lots (don't know how much she charged). So ppl reserved these lots to put tents on to view the eclipse. She made around $100,000.00!! Can u believe that? Whyyyyy couldn't that have happened to me lol?

I hope everyone that can see it has a wonderful viewing experience. Maybe the eclipse will bump the heat down here a few degrees for a min :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am 

Well Jenn,
Life happens and it is great you can be of help today to your family.
I have three tvs runing on different channels to watch this. At 2:39 pm here it will be the darkest.. so..

Sunny and hot here too..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That was a great experience. I was able to simply open my front door to observe the eclipse. I'm so glad I didn't have to drive anywhere because the roads turned to molasses afterwards as everyone was trying to get home. There were a few local news stations covering the event and for the first time since before the 2016-2017 election season, it seemed like citizens from around our country were happy to come together. There were no crimes or acts of violence to report. Traffic was heavy but people were polite with one another while enjoying the "afterglow" of such a rare spectacle of nature. It was such a nice break from the intensity of our modern culture and I wish we had more opportunities to "give peace a chance".

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 am 

So awesome OpenMind! And razor I found out pretty quickly that I was wishing I could've made the extra thirty something miles to see totality. I had a wonderful experience with my kids but I wanted to see the complete ring...... I was almost as close as u could get but ur still not 100% but I enjoyed it. I also had the local news playing live from 10-230 lol.

The eclipse was the only good thing that happened to me yesterday because our air conditioning stopped and the guy we called to fix it couldn't come til this morning. It was 95 degrees inside at one point! Now East Tennessee has become miserably hot from May to the beginning of October pretty much and it's the high humidity that will get u down. Yesterday was one of the hottest days of the year here too (my luck)!! So I had to put window fans in windows and try to make it best I could except when I was at my moms who was in outpatient surgery most of the day. I'm glad that day is over but the one saving grace was watching the eclipse. So I hope all ur guys day yesterday was much better than mine :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jenn, I'm such a wimp when it comes to heat and humidity!! I probably wouldn't last long without air conditioning or at least a room fan of some kind. I'm in the pacific northwest so I'm more used to rain, but we have had some pretty hot days and all I've got is an old, worn out window ac unit and a fan in the hallway. I've seriously felt like I was about to start melting a few times this summer, so I feel for you. Tennessee would probably be pretty intense for me until I could get acclimated to the change in environmental conditions. Life there without ac would be really tough.

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 am 

OpenMind thankfully we had the air bk on by 10 the next morning but wow what a miserable experience! I'm literally feeling traumatized lol. I don't know how ppl live down here without air and I know ppl do. There's an abandoned place on down the road from me and I think there's been addicts staying in it because I see them walking all the time and when I've driven by I've seen them going in and out of the place. There's no electricity so I know there's no air conditioning. It breaks my heart. The heat here is a muggy kinda wet type heat, very humid. If u look u can somewhat see it.... ugh it's bad. I can tell that the summer is getting hotter and hotter each passing year. It really stresses me out and I know that sounds silly but I can't help it. My son can't even go out and play. I could handle rain OpenMind :) I'm weird, I kinda enjoy rainy days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 pm 

The eclipse here in Vegas was supposed to be at 95% but the sky didn't darken one bit. Of all days to have clouds in the desert we had them. A quick sneak peek revealed only a small sliver so it was not even worth getting the glasses to view.

A few days prior, I took a neighbor to the airport. They were going to visit family in Portland, OR. and picked the wrong week to go. He told me that they tried to rent a car like usual but the only one left was a SUV going for $2,000 per week, that week only. What a rip off! Yes, many people made a lot of money from the tourists. Another neighbor of mine went to Government land and camped so it didn't cost anything. He showed me the video of the horizon getting dark. Very cool video!

The bigger question is: Did everyone look skyward at night when Hale Bop comet was visible for two weeks? I can't believe how many people didn't see it. That was the event of a lifetime. Forget Haley's Comet, that was a dud. With just a pair of binoculars it was huge in the night sky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:57 pm 

That was amazing Rule. We went out every night to see it. Ill never forget it.
And folks, you want see something very cool, get the ISS app and watch the space station fly over . That event happned for us back in June.
It is fast and very very bright.

Jenn, we had a cold front come though here tues and it washed away all the heavy muggie air. We're in the mid 70s now for the next 5 days. Very cool for this time of year as you know.
Life in the muggie mts..gota have,AC..