It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Eating Disorders
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
This is National Eating Disorders Awareness week and I just wanted to mention this to everyone here in recovery.
Eating Disorders have the highest mortality rate of any other mental illness. I love someone very much who has an eating disorder and I can't tell you how devasting this illness is. I have noticed several similarities between her illness and my addiction, and many of our recovery practices are similar. I know that my own addiction and recovery has enabled me to empathize and understand my 24 year-old daughter's struggles with anorexia. For that I am grateful. I can't say I don't wish that I didn't need to have become an addict in order to help her better, but sometimes it really does seem like I do 'get it' better than I might have otherwise!
I tended to think that if my daughters made it into their 20s without such issues, we were in the clear. I was wrong about that. She left home at 18, almost 19....coincidentally that was about the time my addiction took off. She got sick at about age 22. Because she wasn't living at home, I didn't get a clue until her weight had really plummetted and by that time she was ready to get help. She moved back home, has been back here for a little over a year and is slowly getting better, so much better actually....with a lot of help.
Anyway, I read somewhere that eating disorders and alcohol/drug abuse often go hand in hand. I didn't know that. Obviously there are a lot of co-occurring mental disorders out there. And they all suck! But to learn that the eating disorders have the highest mortality rate was a little surprising to me. That's really scary!
I know this is off-subject. Thank you to anyone who wants to join with me during this awareness week in support of those who struggle with another very challenging disease. The color is periwinkle if you'd like to make a little pin-on ribbon to wear to show your awareness and support.

Post subject: awareness
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks for sharing that with us...I feel for you...I know eating disorders can be very protracted and difficult to treat. I'm really glad your daughter is doing better...you can probably relate on many levels with her...

Another issue that isn't talked about much but needs to is cutting....this is another commonality in addiction and not only for teen girls....many young women suffer as well as teen and young men, which may be surprising. I mention it only to bring it more to awareness...and in case there is someone out there who struggles with it knowing they aren't alone.