It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: DXM for withdrawal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has much experience using DXM for opiate/suboxone withdrawal? In my experience it helps more than any other medication; often causes the RLS and many other uncomfortable symptoms to disappear entirely. I don't condone abusing cough meds, or substitution dxm for opiate, however I searched the forums for dxm and didn't come up with much so theres my two sense. Hopefully it helps someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you need to abuse drugs to get off suboxone, maybe it's not time to get off suboxone.

I would focus on your recovery and learn the proper tools to deal with the disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah. It sounds a bit risky. Maybe it does help withdrawal? But if you're still in the kinda mindset that believes it's acceptable to gulp down whole bottles of Robitussen with zero medical research, despite potential risk to health and life, then like matt said, your chances of staying clean long term aren't looking good, and maybe you should stay on Sub.

This is something that hasn't been researched at all apparently apart from a bunch of people on bluelight / opiophile experimenting on themselves.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have taken a swallow of NyQuil before bed to help me sleep. I make sure it is not everynight and I also only take the recommended dose. That is plenty for me to get sleepy and sleep through thte night. I know DXM is a danger if taken to excess and regularly, but I am in the final stages of getting off Sub and while I adjust to increasingly smaller doses, I will take whatever relief I can find. OF course I will stop once I am done with subs and I would never take it during the day (I would be a zombie), but a little bit of relief helps keep me going. I don't think it is any worse than people who are taking Xanax or Valium for Sub wd's. And yes my doctor prescribes Xanax for wd's, not to mebut to the friend who introduced me to her sub doc.
As with any off label usage of something, be careful. But if you take it as directed and don't take it every day, I don't see the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've never used DXM to help withdrawals...but almost half a year ago, i was completely off pills AND subs and i overdosed on DXM to get high. (obviously I was still in drug addict mode) Anyway, the DXM CAUSED RLS and other withdrawal symptoms even though I had been clean for two months off everything. Everyone is different, but that experience was awful. I wouldn't suggest using DXM at all especially if you're trying to quit a different drug. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:05 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Schmoops is absolutely right. A lot of us are here because of legally prescribe drugs. All I meant was that if you take it AS INDICATED (I have a feeling schmoops did a lttle robo-balling and drank way too much) to ehlp with symptoms for me it was like any other comfort med that would normally be prescribed. Once I finally got Clonidine (three days ago) I stopped using it. I also never used it more than a couple three times a week for fear of tolerance or addiction. If you are truly out of your addict mentality and use it for a legit reason and in small doses, I think it can really help. It did for me.

SChmoops- no offense to you at all with the robo-balling comment. You just were not in the right moment and you found out the hard way. I am glad you are okay. Everyone needs to do what is right and works for them. And it is really different for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I haven't done DXM in over a decade, but I simply cannot see how this could be comfortable at all during a withdrawal. It also often made me feel like total garbage the next day.

Post subject: Re: DXM for withdrawal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Peer reviewed research article describing the trial protocol. Good luck. But it's true, don't bother doing this protocol if you're not ready to quit, there will be no more lifelines after this, if you get even tolerant of dextromethorphan. It only reverses the physiologic addiction, not the psychological addiction of opioids. You would have to remove yourself from whatever social circle that gives you the opioids, leaving "friends" for your own good. And if you have pain conditions, you would have to control it with non-opioids (Lyrica, NSAIDs, Cymbalta, etc.), or it's back to square one.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/546030/

The pertinent text:

The second group received clonidine 0.4–1.2 mg per day in three divided doses according to the patient’s tolerance, Clonazepam 1 mg every eight hours, acetaminophen 500 mg every six hours, and dextromethorphan 75 mg every six hours...

The treatment duration was four days. All of the patients were evaluated for severity of withdrawal symptoms at the admission time and 24, 48, and 72 hours later by a physician blinded to the grouping of patients.

Post subject: Re: DXM for withdrawal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great responses that make me proud to be part of this forum. Experimentation is a slippery slope that almost always leads to problems down the line. And I appreciate the follow-up, and the reference.

We all have that part of us that wants to fix things on our own-- which too often has led us to greater misery. But at the same time, modern medicine has little or no interest in finding the answers to the problems faced by people with addictions.