It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: DUI Charge for Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

]I just got out of jail;was there two weeks on a DUI charge for Suboxone! September 4th I was driving home and got pulled over becuz I didn't have a license plate yet for the used vehicle I just bought.(My bad I know!) So the cop started questioning me, and I showed him the title and insurance for the car to prove its mine. No problem there. But he calls another cop because he claims I am acting nervous and fidgety and talking too fast. FYI I'm being treated for anxiety/depression by a Psych and I'm sure I did come across as pretty darn nervous because I was scared as heck.They tell me to get out of the car. It's dark, I'm wearing flip flops, and I can't walk a straight line very well. They ask me if I take any medication, and I think I should be truthful, so I tell them I am a Suboxone patient and take Zoloft. I had taken 4 mg of Suboxone at 4 pm and this was at 11 pm. I've been a Suboxone patient for 2 and a half years; recovering H addict, clean and sober except for the Sub. prescribed by my doctor. They call in a 3rd Cop, who they identify as an "alcohol/drug impairment detection expert" on the police force. He does more expert field sobriety testing for about 30 minutes, they keep shining the lights in me eyes as I look from left to right and back again, etc, etc, and eventually they arrest me. They charge me with Driving While Impaired and take me to the police station.There at the police station, a 4th cop does about an hour of sobriety testing, you name it, he did it. At the end I asked him if there were any problems,and the only thing he said was that I teetered a little walking the straight line again. I consent to a blood sample because I want to show that I only have the Suboxone in my system. Also at the station the 3rd cop "expert" shines the lights in my eyes, explaining to the 4th cop "expert" that my eyes were doing something that happens when you mix Suboxone with an anti-depressant. I have no idea what he meant! This whole thing has been a nightmare and now I am scared to drive at all. BTW, I detoxed cold turkey off suboxone when I was in jail, that was tough. I am hoping to beat the charge, let me know what you think. :( :?:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 am 

What do I think??
Total unnecessary BS!!!!!
here we are trying to do the next right thing and do not get respect for it. AGAIN...
If a cop ever pulls me over my mouth will be shut on the sub issue.
Soon sorry this happened to you but this isn't the first time I've heard of this..

Lately I've been coming off a bit bitter.. I guess it's because of stories like this. We try an try, they call it a disease, but.. .

i think a good lawyer is needed and you should be able to get this thown out... Imo.. A good lesson for all of us here...... Razor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Horrible! I'm so very sorry you were treated so inhumanely and forced to detox from suboxone in jail. It is abhorrent that you went to jail to begin with! I have to say that I have been feeling more and more like razor 55 lately too. Even the very people who claim to subscribe to the fact that addiction is a brain disease, DOCTORS, and other medical professionals, are helping to have people like you and me jailed for treating our disease now? ?????? Legal counsel is absolutely in order. Find a lawyer who has experyise inthese type of cases, who will be able to have his own experts testify that studies have been done showing that patients on a stable daily dose of suboxone are not under the influence, and are perfectly capable of driving, and that medication assisted treatment of opioid addiction is one of the most evidence based treatments in medicine! I hope you'll consider it, and try to give it a shot making those cops and even their so called expert pay for the way they made you suffer. You didn't deserve it! I have in fact read about lawsuits being brought and won against jails that refuse to allow an inmate to have their legally prescribed medication. So things are changing, albeit, too slowly for your case. Being forced to detox in this most inhumane fashion would certainly have traumatized me! I think not accepting this kind of nonsense, and advocating heavily for ourselves and others like us is going to be the only way. .. but then again. .. you tried to be honest, and look what happened to you. ....I truly feel for you! And I'm angry for what they did to you!

I know 100% that I'm not impaired on suboxone, and if ever pulled over by a police officer, I'm not saying a word! I would want to be honest if asked. .. But after reading the experiences of others who've been honest with law enforcement; it scares me that doing the right thing could land me in a jail cell! it's none of their business anyway. We have a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and if you're on a stable dose of buprenorphine for as long as you were, you weren't impaired.

You've been through quite an ordeal, How are you feeling now? Do you plan to go back on your suboxone? If not, what kind of relapse prevention are you utilizing? I'm only asking because this is indeed a stressful situation, and I am concerned for you. Please keep us updated on how you're doing, and what you're going to do next. You have support here.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for your support; I appreciate it very much!! I am definitely looking for a lawyer who can defend me well. Thankfully I got a great letter from my doctor stating that I am a long-term patient with no relapses and that I was taking a therapuetic dose and could not have been impaired. As for detoxing off of Sub, I was feeling pretty lousy when I got home, weak and anxious with stomach problems,so since Saturday I have been taking 8 mg per day and I am comfortable. I was surprised how long the withdrawal lasted, having the opiate sneezes 15 days later! (Down from 16 per day before I was jailed.) I have an appointment to see my Doctor....I don't know, I think it may be time for me to wean completely off with his help because it's the scary truth that I could be pulled over at any moment and accused again of being impaired. And I have my therapist and 12-Step community for relapse support. Suboxone really did save my life from H addiction and I am so grateful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am glad that you're back on a stable dose of sub and feeling better, and that you're looking into obtaining legal counsel. You've really been put through the wringer and didn't deserve it. Hopefully that letter from your Dr will help you. If you truly want off sub because you're through with it,and is run it's course in your life, then I wish you all the best, I just hope that you make sure that is your decision and no one else's, and that it's not for the fear or undue pressure from law enforcement, or the fear and stigma and lack of accurate knowledge that we, as sub patients, are unfairly forced to face. We really aren't impaired on our medication and we are clean. What a shame! Good luck no matter what you decide to do. We'll be here for you, and thanks for the updates. Keep em coming! You've got support here.

Liz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just to update, I am trying to get the toxicology results of my blood sample. The lab is telling me it could be a while. From what I have been reading online, it looks like a range of 1 to 8 ng/ml blood level is considered a therapuetic dose and not abusive. I had taken 4 mg of Subxone at 4 pm and I was tested around 11:30 pm. I'm really curious to know what my level is because I am hoping that if I can show a therapuetic level then the charge won't stick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:30 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that happened to you. Awful awful awful. Wow. I've never heard of that happening before. I don't know what to say but I'm so sorry that happened to you. So wrong. It would have been one thing if it was your first day in treatment, or if you were taking it illegally but neither are true. I'm so so sorry and hope this is dropped.

Please keep us posted.
xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Yeah that is something which is unlawful. My friend is doing his intern with some Los Angeles DUI lawyer. I asked him about this and he told that you need to have a good lawyer to represent you as this is something totally unacceptable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does no one know about the blood levels? Was this issue ever resolved? What does it show up as if you are taking only 4mgs? I'm prescribed 32mg of Subutex (not suboxone) daily. I take under my prescribed amount but if I'm prescribed that high amount is that not at a theraputic dose if my blood shows up as under the amount prescribed? I have never taken 4 pills and started driving but I don't know what builds up in your system?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SimilarSituation2015 wrote:
Does no one know about the blood levels? Was this issue ever resolved? What does it show up as if you are taking only 4mgs? I'm prescribed 32mg of Subutex (not suboxone) daily. I take under my prescribed amount but if I'm prescribed that high amount is that not at a theraputic dose if my blood shows up as under the amount prescribed? I have never taken 4 pills and started driving but I don't know what builds up in your system?

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on, frankly. I'm sure they've tested 24 mg to set the upper limit and how can they discriminate someone who is abusing their meds from someone who is taking within the limits? The upper limit of your blood sample. That's the only tangible evidence. If these people are getting DUIs within the limits, the DAs must have some reason to pursue charges.

Why 32mg? Just wondering what pushed you above the recommended dosage/such a high dose, being a member of this site, I assume you know at least the basics of a ceiling dose.

Individuals who have a strong interest/experience in medicine.
New Suboxone doctor/psychiatrist/therapist in the Boston area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Outrageous! I don't know where you are from, but it seems the police are very vindictive and possibly don't have much else to do? I've been pulled over on subs for a traffic violation, I had a legit script, but the cop never even looked at me funny! I think your doctor should def back you up, and you should seek legal counsel for sure. Nobody on sub for maintenance therapy should be so impaired they're charged with a dui. That's a serious charge, I have a feeling you have a good chance of beating it. Obviously police and a lot of other people in this world have a whole lot to learn about sub therapy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I guess it really does depend where your from. Before I ever touched an opiate or sub I was driving home late from a halloween eve party. I got lost and sat through 2 red light cycles trying to mapquest where I was. There were no other cars on the road so I thought nothing of it. I thought I had a good idea where I was going, so I drove away when the light turned green and boom I hit a deer. So I stopped my car to assess my damage, and while I'm pulled over a cop pulls up behind me. My initial thought was "good he can tell me how to get home. I didn't do anything but hit a damn deer" but he came up and accused me of dui. I had been drinking a bit, but I felt fine. I stood outside arguing with him for hours, and I talked myself out of the dui, even though he made me blow and I was slightly over the legal limit.