It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I discovered I was pregnant in December. I had put on a little bit of weight (maybe 5lbs) but thought nothing of it and have always had abnormal cycles so did not have any idea how far along I was but I realized I was pregnant bc I felt the baby MOVE!! Suspecting I was maybe 16-20 weeks (as that is about the time I felt my other children move) I made an appt right away with my OB and STOPPED taking ALL opiates. I had routine blood work done and at my first appt they told me I tested positive for opiates. I sooo wish that I just fessed up and told them of my on and off addiction to opiates but did not. A social worker came and spoke to me and told me that the baby would be tested at birth and that they would be back if the baby tested positive for any drugs. I have been on sub therapy in the past and have been taking subs since I discovered my pregnancy but they are not prescribed to me. This is just a HUGE mess!! I had an ultrasound and am due the end of this month! Not ony was I def pregnant but I had spent soo many months high on pain meds that I did not notice symptoms I otherwise would have noticed right away! My poor baby had been exposed to opiates for almost my entire pregnancy! I have done ALOT of research and pray she will be fine. My ultrasounds, bloodwork, prenatal testing all show thta she is just fine but I am still very scared! I should have told the docs of my addiction but ws scared to after the social worker came in and the nurses and doc were also very angry with me for testing positive so I did not fess up. I also was scred that if I told them that they would have CPS at my house for my other children or have them at the hospital to take my baby! I am so ashamed of myself and have no idea what to do? I take very little suboxone, 1 of the 8mg tabs lasts 4-6 days depending on how I feel. I did try to stop the opiates cold turkey but ended up in preterm labor so have been aafraid to stop taking them. Will they test my baby for subs? Should I just tell the docs that I was taking opiates during my pregnancy? I am sure she will not suffer opiate wd as it has been so long since I have taken them but am afraid they may still show in her drug screen? Or that she may have some wd from the subs? I plan on breastfeeding as I did with my last 2 children and have read on here that can help with sub wd in the baby? They have monitored me weekly since december as I was so far along and had no prenatal care combined with concern for my lack of weight gain, still only have gained 11 pounds total but do all I can to pack on some lbs! Via my ultrasounds, 3d&4d, I am able to see that she is physically normal and seems healthy but am scared I may have damaged her some other way!!! I pray all day avery day that she not suffer from any mistakes or bad choices I have made! I did tell the docs of some pain meds that were prescribed in the beginning as I would make up pain to get scripts and they are not concerned that those pain meds caused any problems so should I tell them of the other things? All opiate pain meds but stronger than vic and perc I was given. Idk, sorry to carry on but this is the first and ONLY link I have found that was helpful and that had other women in similar situations! Until I found all of you I felt like the only person to have ever dealt with this! And you all have also had the courage and strentgh to openly discuss your situations as well, which to someone like me is a godsend!!!!! You have no idea how appreciative I am of all of you and your courage and strength to share your stories! I have read every post on the forum and just finally joined today and mustered up the courage to post! So again, I apologize for the looong post but would love any feedback that any of you reading may have to offer! Ty so much!!

Post subject: Congrats!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First of all, Congrats on the baby girl! I am currently almost 6 months pregnant and on Subutex, Subutex is what the doctors prescribe instead of Suboxone when you are pregnant. I also have a 19 month old little girl and I didnt know about Subs at the time so I used percocets throughout my whole pregnancy and thank god even though I was addicted when I gave birth my daughter had no withdrawals whatsoever, I think its almost unheard of for that to happen so I thank god everyday that shes a happy, healthy toddler and that I did no damage to her because of my own fears and stupidity. IMO you should def. tell your doctor that you have been taking Sub and try to get into some type of treatment ASAP to get it prescribed. There is a good chance that your daughter will suffer withdrawal from the Sub, theres also a chance that she will suffer no withdrawal but if she does and your doctor has to find out about your Sub use that way I can almost guarantee CPS will be involved and they will assume that Sub is just your DOC instead of looking at it as you trying to help yourself. Im sure you want the best for your baby and its just not worth taking any chances just in case something goes wrong and she ends up withdrawing. Breastfeeding while still using Sub will not minimize any withdrawal she will have, not enough Sub passes to your breastmilk to keep her out of withdrawals if shes in them. Believe me, with all the risks involved, It will be so much better for your doctor to not find out because your daughter starts withdrawing in the hospital. Good Luck and I wish you the best.. Enjoy your new baby when she comes :)

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Sodone for replying to my post, I think your right and I will see the doc again Tuesday so hopefully I will have the courage to talk to her about the subs! I am trying to taper down and have made an appt at the counseling center to begin treatment. Unfortunately noone in NY state will prescribe suboxone without 4 weeks of being actively involved in a treatment program so I will not get a script for some time but am getting started with the process. If I were to admit myself to a medical detox or rehab I would be given them right away but the only 2 detox centers within a few hours drive of me will not take me this far along in my pregnancy! I kind of feel stuck in the meantime but have things started to get back on sub therapy again. My youngest is almost 5 and I never touched a pain pill until about 2 years ago so although I have other children at home I have never gone thru addiction issues while pregnant before! I am so happy that your baby was born with no problems and that your children continue to thrive! It gives me hope that all will be okay for my baby but nothing will stop the constant worry until I am able to see and hold her! I pray all the time that she will be okay, Idk what I would do if she were to suffer bc of poor choices I made! I went to detox and rehab about year ago and was on sub therapy but stopped as I felt I was fine without it as I went 4 months with no opiates but after experiencing wd from subs started back with vic and perc again which eventually put me right back into active addiction again! I will never allow myself to be in this situation again nor will I put any of my children at risk again! I will prob never rid myself of the guilt but will do my best to make all of our futures better and opiate free! Thank you so much again for your advice and for taking the time to read my ridiculously long post and reply! Your words mean the world to me and help more than I could ever express! Ty again and take care!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Just my story.......
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I as well just joined this forum and enjoy it because I dont see anyone judging anyone just straight up KEEPING IT REAL!! Other sites dont give you answers you want just people putting you down and not giving you any anwers. I can relate with just about every topic on this forum so I have found my self on here alot just reading and finding encourgement.

Now..... I was addicted to crystal meth for 10 years....It was my drug of choice until I met my husband and he introduced me to pills. It didnt help that my mother and half my family take pills too....
Anyways I was taking all kinds of perscription pills for about a month before I got pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I still drank and popped pills. (I was very very irresponsible).. My docotrs new my drug history (for meth) so I was automaticly drug tested through my whole pregnancy....but not for pills so they never found out I was on them. I eventually got very addicted to vicodine I was eating 20-40 10/325 vicodine towards the end of my pregnancy. I was very concerned about my baby but kind of pushed the fears to the back of my mind....(im good at that unfourtunatly) I worried about her going into withdrawl when she was born about them finding pills in her system and so on but i didnt want to tell anyone because I was afraid of CPS.....

When I went into labor I kind of didnt really enjoy it fully cause i was worried about what would happen at the end.... she was born 8/13 oz and beautiful....the first night in the hospital I watched her like a halwk Parnoid everytime she cried...THIS IS IT !!! I thought..The withdrawls never came!! and you know I couldnt breast feed because I didnt develop breast properly and had no milk so she cried in the hospital because she was hungry it wasnt until a new nurse came in and told me to give her a bottle that she quit crying and was able to sleep. I took my daughter home and she was fine such a beautiful baby.....no withdrawls.

I dont know how that happened and its a miracle. that was in 2005 my daughter is now 6. She has some behavioral problems so I took her to see my sub doc who is also a physciatrist and for the first time told a doctor the whole truth about what I did while I was pregnant....she told me that there is no link between the two.

Oh and she was drug tested in the hospital and they didnt find the opitates......but heres another thing .....i was in back labor with my daughter so when I got to the hospital they gave me a Iv pain drip or what ever I dont know if it was demerol or fentenoyl so maybe they did test for opiates and figured it was positve for what they had given me 6 hours earlier.

Now about suboxcone I dont think it shows up in a drug test. I was drug tested for a job recently and it didnt show up......I dont want to be crucifed for saying this but it sound like your doctors arent gonna be very understanding with you.....I wish you could just go see a sub doc first or something.........Either way your taking a gamble.....I cant tell you what to do....I wish I could.....have you tried buying an at home drug test and testing your self to see if it shows up positive???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The answer is NO..in a general 9-panel drug screen, Suboxone will NOT show up.

The test has to be given specifically to find Buprenorphine. Unless they give you something besides a 9-panel, then Suboxone won't show up...

Post subject: wow..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I live in upstate NY and never heard of having to do a 4 week program before they will give you a script. I would call every doctor possible in or around your area.. someone has to be able to help you. Please tell your doctor you're taking Sub to stay out of addiction, I cant stress that enough. I would hate to see you have to go through all the bullsh*t with CPS and have them look at you like just another addict because you tried to do what was best for you and the baby. I hope you have a happy, safe delivery and I hope your daughter is withdrawal free but if shes not, just try to remember that you taking the subs was the best thing for the both of you, it was a smart choice you made to take them instead of the pills, try not to come down on yourself. The last thing you need to do now is just talk to your doctor and explain your whole situation just like you did to us, then do whatever it takes to get into treatment, after that try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!! You shouldnt be worrying like this and adding stress to something thats already stressful enough.. you should be enjoying this time.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

what happened here??