It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: DSM-V
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This thing would be funny, if it wasn't serious.

Here's some of my favourites:

- Officially, being female is now a mental illness!
http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=484

- Is your child prone to tantrums in the supermarket?
http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=397

- Is your child not the academic type?
http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=384
http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=429

Strangely, there's no illness listed for Over-diagnosing people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know you're just being funny, TJ, but the first link is to PMDD, a very, VERY, serious condition that affects many women and their daily living in a very huge way, even a dangerous way.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but jokes about women and PMS that end up into the realm of PMDD bother me. However, I'm thinking you probably don't know anything about this condition, so I thought I'd just do a quick post on the condition.

If anyone wants to know more about it, please just ask.

Please, though, just don't make jokes or minimize the seriousness of PMDD. It's not a joke.

Again, Tearj3rker, I know you were just kidding and I'm not taking any offense from this at all. Just the opportunity to educate. All's well, no hard feelings. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was being serious. If there was any humor in it, it was poking fun at the criteria, not at women. But you're right, it was inappropriate. I know better than to do that, mostly. Now me, a guy, will try to have a serious discussion about PMS without digging myself a hole.

My point was the criteria is blurred. Take criteria B:

Quote:
B. The symptoms are associated with clinically significant distress or interferences with work, school, usual social activities or relationships with others (e.g. avoidance of social activities, decreased productivity and efficiency at work, school or home).

Is meant to differentiate PMS and PMDD. But it's a blurry line, and really subjective. If I have fights with my partner while she's pre-menstrual, is that a clinically significant interference with relationships? If people at work need to tiptoe around their manager when she's pre-menstrual, is that interference at work? Once that criteria gets ticked,

Hatmaker, I don't doubt that PMDD is a very real, debilitating condition for some women. My concern with the criteria is that it's unclear. It probably wouldn't worry me if there were more female psychiatrists, as they no doubt have a better idea. But at least where I'm from, psychiatry is still a bit of a boys club. I'm concerned that some male psychiatrists with less understanding or compassion about women and their issues could throw this diagnosis around carelessly.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're not alone in your confusion when it comes to PMS and PMDD. If I didn't suffer from PMDD myslef (now successfully treated, thank the gods), I would have trouble seeing the line, too. But I can tell you that it's a very distinct line - no fuzziness or blurriness at all. If you knew someone with PMS and another with PMDD you would see the difference between the two IMMEDIATELY.

Oh and the two are very different conditions physically, too. One is caused by fluctuating hormones and has little effect on daily life. The other is the body's INABILITY to handle the normal fluctuating hormones that occur every month with normal menses and it literally interferes with one's everyday life on a serious level. Very different conditions.

Anyway, when I got my diagnosis, I was very distraught over it. You see, how could I reconcile the fact that I was a successful, independent, feminist who strove for equality when I had a condition BECAUSE I'm a woman and it makes me practically a crazy person. It didn't feel good, let me tell you. It was maddening.

Like I said, I'm stable now, but it was a terrible struggle for me and my husband while we searched for a treatment that worked.

I appreciate you even being interested in learning about this. Most people just joke about it and won't even listen or take it seriously. If you have more questions about it, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to try to answer them.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just really hope these conditions & labels are treated with respect. When I was ill with bipolar 1 in my early 20's, I ended up in both public / state run hospitals & private ones. The public patients were the ones who presented after attempting suicide, or becoming clearly psychotic. They were so busy they'd only take the sickest. The private clinic wouldn't take people that sick, as nurses didn't want to deal with them, and clients found them concerning. Yet in the private clinics, which would only take on patients that were less of a liability for them, always diagnosed their patients with more conditions, and put them on more medications. The contrast was massive in the number of pills in those cups. Go figure?

I met a guy in a private clinic who had been taking a lot of MDMA, partying, clubbing. He'd just been diagnosed with Bipolar rapid-cycling after his parents took him to the clinic concerned about his partying. He thought the doctors were full of shit, so he left, stopped taking his lithium etc. It's almost a decade later, he long ago stopped partying, and he's started a successful hi-fi company and just got married. And he's obviously happy... until anyone brings up psychiatry! I was inspired by him, and went off my lithium. My outcome wasn't as happy. Today I've realised that I have a wise, talented doctor. The one my friend was given is known as a "doctor for hire" in legal defenses. He recently justified a man throwing his son off the Westgate Bridge as suffering "disassociative disorder" at the time, as he was angry about his wife having custody.

Quote:
Anyway, when I got my diagnosis, I was very distraught over it. You see, how could I reconcile the fact that I was a successful, independent, feminist who strove for equality when I had a condition BECAUSE I'm a woman and it makes me practically a crazy person.

I always had this pseudo-spiritual idea that women are given approx 10 years longer life than men because of the extra stuff they have to put up with. I don't know if this will help in the slightest?

anywa...