It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

anybody else catch the newest 'drugs Inc' show on nat geo, called "PILL NATION"???

It was pretty interesting, nothing I didnt know already though. except that the prices in mexico have gone WAY UP since 2002, the last time I went anyways.

there was also a show on MSNBC one night, called "the oxycontin express"
now THAT was a good show

anyway, just wondering what anybody else thought

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just happened to watch that tonight.

The things that shocked me the most were #1---28000 deaths last year from pain pill OD. As far as I'm aware, this number represents deaths from pain pill OD alone, it doesn't include heroin OD.

#2---2 million people in the U.S. are addicted to pain pills. 2 MILLION. Are you freaking kidding me, 2 million people addicted to pain meds. Stop and think how HUGE a number 2 million is. If you started counting seconds right now, it would take you 23 days of counting off seconds, 24 hours a day, to reach 2 million......that's how many people are addicted to pain meds. That's stunningly ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amber, I have also seen both of the documentaries you are referring to. Just like you I didn’t really learn anything new except a few random facts. I think both films do a great job of informing the public how dangerous and addictive pain killers are. For the people that don’t have prior knowledge on the pain killer epidemic, it gives a lot of factual information just how accessible the "synthetic heroin" is. People who try a potent opiate painkiller for the first don't realize it until it's too late that they are pretty much addicted to heroin.

I live in Georgia and it seems like all the doctors that didn’t get busted in Florida just moved up a state where there is still no database for prescription drugs. We as a society need to understand how controlling opiates have on people. I feel like the films accomplish this goal to some extent but there isn’t much advertising for the films so most people don’t even know they exist. By the way, anyone who hasn't seen the oxycontin express, it is on YouTube. Not sure about Drugs Inc. though. Intervention also had a special on the pill mills so you may want to check that one out too.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had mentioned the Drugs, INC show in a couple of my posts in the past week...I've been watching it, and I saw Pill Nation when it first aired (it's been out about 3 weeks now)

I mentioned it here:
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5 ... ill+nation

and here:
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5 ... ill+nation

Usually I find anything like that on TV and I'm all over it (mainly because I'm home all the time, and have DirecTv in the bedroom with my own HD receiver (and 46") in the bedroom to watch..so I flip channels and find anything I can that will spark my interest. And if I can't find anything, I hit the PS3 on that same TV and play my Battlefield 3 game...
But that's beside the point...

I'm glad someone else has seen the show now..

Amber, what did you think of it? Did you know those interesting facts, or did it seem like they were boosting them a little? I mean...are those numbers really possible???

And the guy from up north who travels to Florida to get pills and take back home...

There's ONE thing about it, when dealing with pain killers...you can NOT be taking pills, and sell them too. I learned that when I was an addict. I could either eat my pills, or sell my pills, NOT BOTH. You get to the point where you never have enough...

But the guy with the mask on, who was talking to them..He seemed like someone I could relate to, intelligence-wise.

I got to wonder though, like the trip to Mexico where the producer of the show was taken around and she actually SCORED OXY 80'S...aren't there legal ramifications that the show's producers are OBLIGED to report? I mean, they have people on video confessing to doing illegal activity...aren't they required to report the stuff that the guy said about getting Florida-based addicts to score pills for him, and sending them to him?
Just seems odd. Or maybe, scripted a little...like they "heard" this story, and scripted it out with someone in a ski-mask.
I mean, the guy in the ski-mask might be one of the camera men...or the water-boy...just seems odd they could actually interview the "big fish" in such a large drug operation. I mean, someone like him would be a ringleader that the FED would LOVE to capture, because he's crossing MULTIPLE states to commit felony doctor shopping.

Now, the Drugs, INC that focused on Crack...I can totally believe that they found crack addicts to talk to them.

Can't you see the crack addicts lining up to speak on camera for $10 bucks, because they could score a rock when they finished answering the questions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Not sure if anyone has heard of the movie oxymorons, but unlike the two you have mentioned, it isn't a documentary. I am confused if it has came out or not, or if you can only get it through the internet. There are two trailers for it, one is 8 minutes and the other is 2 minutes. Check it out it takes place in boston and how two brothers discovered oxycontin and once got addicted started robbing pharmacies and the entire path an addict goes through. Let me know what you all think.

8 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWjgddJscs
2 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFNzBqH ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman wrote:
Not sure if anyone has heard of the movie oxymorons, but unlike the two you have mentioned, it isn't a documentary. I am confused if it has came out or not, or if you can only get it through the internet. There are two trailers for it, one is 8 minutes and the other is 2 minutes. Check it out it takes place in boston and how two brothers discovered oxycontin and once got addicted started robbing pharmacies and the entire path an addict goes through. Let me know what you all think.

8 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkWjgddJscs
2 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFNzBqH ... re=related

Never heard of it, but I will check it out. I find it very interesting and somewhat educational to watch what I can on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the numbers ARE stunning,
and I DO believe it.

becuase ten years ago, I felt like the only one in my county trying to find pills. I could do it, but had much better luck driving to the 'big city' and going to 're-up' once a week.
towards the end, i was going twice a week, and like jonathan said, trying to sell to support my habit. we all know how well that plan worked out...... :?

Back to my point, a year ago, I had AT LEAST 50 phone numbers of ppl I could BUY from..... I mean it REALLY is an epidemic around here, too.
In the newspaper a few wks ago, they said in our county we lose more ppl to Rx overdose, than anything else ALL COMBINED. and I know this community isnt alone. Same story across america.

and Im glad these news reports are finnaly coming out.

I still get the 'look' from some folks, and they say "you were strung out on PILLS???" like its no big deal and Im some kinda freak. THEY just dont get how this thing gets ahold of you and DOESNT let go.
I even, for the most part, had my addiction 'under control' for a lil while at least. I rememeber for like two years Id only snort oxy on the weekends, cuz I was afraid Id be too tired at work, or not wake up on time.
but like all of you know, that lasted for a lil while, then It was EVERY day, then every FOUR hours.... :roll:

Its just got a grip like nothing else. Im shocked that some ppl can take them for pain, and be just fine, almost jealous I guess. Ya know????
and I even went to mexico, in 2003, we came back with so much shit...... and the prices then were NOTHING like what they are now. NOTHING..... they have SKYROCKETED according to the drugs inc show.
all you gotta do there (in 03) was pay a hundred bucks to see a doc, and get ANY/ALL Rx that you wanted, then go to the pharmacy....... there was ppl getting pure ephedra and everything.

Its been a chalenging day, if you cant tell by my post ....LOL
but Im doing okay, Im clean, except for my suboxone of course. but in my book, thats clean considering where Ive been.

Oh yea, and one of my family members watched the oxycontin xpress,
and she says, oh my god amber, I had no idea.....SHE was one of the ones that thought I was afreak for being hooked on pills in the begining. Im like "yea, I tried to tell you, its not just me, and Its not some sort of willpower issue"

Thats about all I got to say for now :) have a great night all

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello fellow brethren:-) I'm new here but have been spying for some time. I just started subs (2cd go of it) 6 days ago. I'm actually watching that episode of drugs inc right now- well paused it to do laundry and just jumped on here to see if there were any comments re: episode. I happen to live in Fla. and I can, as you all know, verify there are plenty of unscrupulous docs to be found. The pm I went to charged 300.00 a visit to simply write you scripts. I don't blame him as I knew the slippery slope I was on from the start. Funny thing is, same doc charges (he does not bill anything to insurance) 400.00 for sub induction ( even to his existing "pm" patients) and 300.00 for all f/up visits. I am one of the lucky ones as I am seeing an internist who is able to prescribe sub and he bills to my plan. I'm rambling! Sorry! I wanted to add that first time I was on subs (3 years ago), I told no one. I somehow managed to keep my out of hand affection for opiate Meds a secret. I relapsed.... This time around those closest to me know. It's made such a difference. I was naive to think that therapy I was utilizing to battle my secret addiction should also remain a secret. Didn't work for me... Clearly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Shytype wrote:
Hello fellow brethren:-) I'm new here but have been spying for some time. I just started subs (2cd go of it) 6 days ago. I'm actually watching that episode of drugs inc right now- well paused it to do laundry and just jumped on here to see if there were any comments re: episode. I happen to live in Fla. and I can, as you all know, verify there are plenty of unscrupulous docs to be found. The pm I went to charged 300.00 a visit to simply write you scripts. I don't blame him as I knew the slippery slope I was on from the start. Funny thing is, same doc charges (he does not bill anything to insurance) 400.00 for sub induction ( even to his existing "pm" patients) and 300.00 for all f/up visits. I am one of the lucky ones as I am seeing an internist who is able to prescribe sub and he bills to my plan. I'm rambling! Sorry! I wanted to add that first time I was on subs (3 years ago), I told no one. I somehow managed to keep my out of hand affection for opiate Meds a secret. I relapsed.... This time around those closest to me know. It's made such a difference. I was naive to think that therapy I was utilizing to battle my secret addiction should also remain a secret. Didn't work for me... Clearly!

The problem with Florida -- unlike it's neighbor, and where I live...Alabama...is that you could, if you wanted, go see a sub doc..get those..turn around and go see another PM doc, get oxys, go see another Sub doc...
and do that 3-4 times a week..

Then you could go have them filled at different pharmacies, and never be caught...because Florida doesn't have a system in place to red-flag scripts like Alabama does.

Granted, I think it takes a few to bring your name up to the D.E.A agents in Montgomery, but if you go get 120 Lortab today, and fill those, then go get 90 percs tomorrow, and fill those, then turn around and get 90 Suboxone, and fill those, and you do that regularly, then after a couple of months, you'll be getting a knock at your door from Mr. DEA agent asking you questions about your pharmaceutical meanderings.

I dont know why ALL states don't implement some sort of check-system for pharmaceutical drugs. At the VERY least, the Schedule III drugs, where Bupe is on that list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jonathanm1978 wrote:
There's ONE thing about it, when dealing with pain killers...you can NOT be taking pills, and sell them too. I learned that when I was an addict. I could either eat my pills, or sell my pills, NOT BOTH. You get to the point where you never have enough...

Is that really true? I knew a lot of heroin dealers who were full on addicts too. It can't be that much different with pain pills.

Does anyone find that these kinda shows can stimulate our addiction? I find shows like this, aimed at the general public, can talk-up the scene a bit and make the scene sound grander than it really is. With them husky voiceovers and all. If my junkie life was as interesting and rebellious and deviate as some of those so called documentaries make them out to be, why get clean? Kinda like those prison shows make jail to be like a suspense action movie .. when most of the waking day they're in lockdown staring at a wall. Slick production can make a bloke driving a truck in winter like an action movie these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tearj3rker wrote:

Is that really true? I knew a lot of heroin dealers who were full on addicts too. It can't be that much different with pain pills.

Does anyone find that these kinda shows can stimulate our addiction? I find shows like this, aimed at the general public, can talk-up the scene a bit and make the scene sound grander than it really is. With them husky voiceovers and all. If my junkie life was as interesting and rebellious and deviate as some of those so called documentaries make them out to be, why get clean? Kinda like those prison shows make jail to be like a suspense action movie .. when most of the waking day they're in lockdown staring at a wall. Slick production can make a bloke driving a truck in winter like an action movie these days.

You bring a valid point...I guess I should've said "in my experiences as an addict"...I couldn't manage to eat my pills and sell my pills to. I DID try..but after I sold a few, and came close to running out, I would always kick myself and ask "why did you do that, stupid?"...So I ultimately just quit selling any of the pills I ever managed to buy..

But they do make it seem like it's some sort of dream-job. The guy who traveled to Florida (on the show, Drugs Inc) to buy pills and was taking them back up north to re-sale them, they made him seem like a young entrepreneur in today's businessworld. He talked like an entrepreneur, like he was some sort of businessman...except instead of a suit and tie, he was wearing a ski mask. It does cast a misleading light onto something that should be viewed as an eye-opener, not a business venture. I wonder how many people saw that show and said "hey, let's head to florida!!"...

And how many people Florida has arrested from out-of-state since that show aired because they "saw in on NatGeo and wanted to try it out"...

We all know / or might have been pretty naive when we were eating our pills and spaced out...so think back to how you would've reacted if you saw a show that told you what you needed to do in order to secure 15,000 pills a week? Because that show basically gave the instructions on how someone could "essentially" travel and find a place to enable them further.

I think the only people that show could do any good for are people like us that are in recovery, who can relate to SOME of what they said on there. Most of what they said went to a higher tier than what some of us were in...beyond your 100-pill a week habit and into the thousands of pills at once -- someone dropping $5000 on pills and doctors and never missing a beat.

I for one never had that kind of money to drop down...I probably wouldn't be alive to be a testament to recovery if I had gotten my hands on an endless supply of money or pills, money + pills, pills, or just money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I could have never sold mine either. On a few occasions when I would simply give one or two to a friend ( when out drinking for example) I would always kick myself for doing so once I awoke the next morning and especially when I ran out and was forced to take tram's to hold me until my next monthly appt. Florida did, supposedly, get a pdmp up and running after much heat from those in the med community, law enforcement, etc. I tend to reason that this may be why it was so challenging for me to find a sub doc w/ an open slot. I could be wrong on both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Out of all the dealers I knew, they all pretty much used with the exception of one person. I could never sell to the same exact reason Jonathan said. If I ever had a hundred pills like the people I picked up from I probably would have overdosed. With my addiction I didn’t really have any self-control and did as much as I could as often as possible. Unlike me, the dealers I knew used with, but not nearly as much as me with one exception. There was only one dealer that didn't use and only sees it as a job rather than most who deal so they can continue to use.

In the area I live in oxycodone has become such a popular drug because it is a wealthy area and pills are very accessible. Pain management clinics have been opening up everywhere because Georgia doesn't have a monitoring system and its close for the doctors from Florida to move and open up. I can’t drive anywhere without seeing a sign for a new clinic opening.

As tearj3rker said "Does anyone find that these kinda shows can stimulate our addiction", I couldn't agree anymore. When I watch these shows I wasn’t sure how to explain why I enjoyed them but you said it perfect. It is also something I can relate to and it is a topic I am very interested in. When I watched the oxycontin express I found it enjoyable but also feel for the addicts and hope they get the help they need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman wrote:
Out of all the dealers I knew, they all pretty much used with the exception of one person. I could never sell to the same exact reason Jonathan said. If I ever had a hundred pills like the people I picked up from I probably would have overdosed. With my addiction I didn’t really have any self-control and did as much as I could as often as possible. Unlike me, the dealers I knew used with, but not nearly as much as me with one exception. There was only one dealer that didn't use and only sees it as a job rather than most who deal so they can continue to use.

In the area I live in oxycodone has become such a popular drug because it is a wealthy area and pills are very accessible. Pain management clinics have been opening up everywhere because Georgia doesn't have a monitoring system and its close for the doctors from Florida to move and open up. I can’t drive anywhere without seeing a sign for a new clinic opening.

As tearj3rker said "Does anyone find that these kinda shows can stimulate our addiction", I couldn't agree anymore. When I watch these shows I wasn’t sure how to explain why I enjoyed them but you said it perfect. It is also something I can relate to and it is a topic I am very interested in. When I watched the oxycontin express I found it enjoyable but also feel for the addicts and hope they get the help they need.

Where can you watch the full movie "Oxycontin Xpress" or whatever it is? I watched the promos *8min and 2min* but can't find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jonathan, here is the link to the oxycontin express:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DHMqHF ... 52C%2Blong

You also mentioned the two links I posted earlier. Not sure if that's what you meant, but it is called oxymorons and I can't find it anywhere on the net. I've never seen the entire film but hopefully it wont be too long before i do. I'm not positive but it may not even be released. There is a website for the movie and here it is.
http://www.oxymoronsmovie.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I watched the one that was on Current_tv, luckily that one is on youtube.

I would think that the Oxymorons movie would at LEAST be available to purchase on the movie's website...I have read that it can be hard for independent filmmakers to get there stuff "out there", but surely someone would pick them up and air it.

I remember when I first started my Suboxone, I would tell someone about it, and they'd be like "what the hell is that?" or ask me things like "how the hell did you find out about it, that can't really work like you say it does.."

Seems like SO long ago, because NOW...I hear RADIO spots, and there's even a TV commercial for one of the local network channels on Suboxone therapy at the Fritz Clinic in Birmingham.

I knew when I started taking this medicine and how wonderful it was to help me that SOMEONE had to get the word out there to people who wanted to stop and couldn't...I couldn't believe that this miracle drug wasn't more widely available or at LEAST offered to people..or even MENTIONED for that matter...but now it seems to be picking up more steam...whether that's from the pushing by Recket-Benckiser or by the doctor's themselves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That Oxycontin Express show was messed up. Great doco, but fuck I never seen pills peddled at that scale where I'm from.

Just hammers it home. The idea of heroin scares most people, but the pills are exactly the same shit. And even more sinister maybe because they're legal?