It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for 3.5 years. I have monthly appointements with my doctor and a urine drug test. I got a letter from him saying the results of my drug test said that I did not have any suboxone in my system. He went on to say that it had to be 2-3 days since I've taken any. This is absolutely not possible. I take it 3x per day and never miss a day. My last appointment was at 8 in the morning so not sure if I took one that morning yet or not but would have taken one late in the day the day before. The only reason I can think of that it would show up with no suboxone in my system is that I take a drug call Lasix. It is a diuretic for the swelling in my feet (from the suboxone). I always have trouble peeing in a cup so I take my Lasix a few hours before my appointment to ensure I can go. By the time I take the urine test, the urine color is completely clear and wonder if it's not so diluted that it's not showing on the drug screen. Does anyone know if this can happen or have any idea why it would not show up in my system when it should? I am going to call my doctor asap to talk to him about this. I don't want to wait until my next appointment. Please advise.

Thank you in advance,
Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, how weird is that? I can't answer your question about the Lasix, but I just wanted to give you my support. I don't blame you for wanting to see the doctor sooner rather than later - I would, too. Have you tried doing a Google search related to Lasix and drug tests? Just a thought.

Maybe Dr. Junig will see this post and give you his opinion. Please let us know what you find out. Oh, and BTW, it's always good to "see" you again! Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey it's great to "see" you again too!! Thanks for the input. I've never had a bad drug test in 3.5 years or given my doctor any reason to doubt me. In fact his nurse constantly "bends" the rules (ie not coming in the bathroom with me etc..) and says, "he's not worried about you". I hope that helps my case. He said something in his letter about the lack of meds being a "violation". I suppose one could jump to the conclusion I'm selling them or something..who knows. I just know the test results are WRONG, not remotely possible. Thanks for the idea to google it, I'll give it a try and let you know what I find out.

It would be AWESOME if the doc responded to this!!

Christine

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In an article on how pass a drug test, this was there....

6.2.7 Lasix:

Take an 80 milligram dose of prescription diuretic lasix (furosemide). Prescription diuretics are the most potent. Some over the counter diuretics will color your urine blue and should be avoided. WARNING! -Diuretics can be harmful to people with kidney problems, pregnant women, and diabetics.-

Wow hua....I guess I my hunch is likely right. I can't remember how many milligrams my pills are. What is confusing to me though is that I always take a Lasix before my appointments but this has never happened before. I do think however, I usually take it like an hour before and this month I took it about 4 hours before. My urine would be much more diluted then. The lab gal knows I take it before and so does my doctor (I've told them both) and my urine is always almost clear and nobody ever said it was an issue. I just hope this "violation" isn't something that he's going to refuse to keep prescribing it to me. I'm going to keep reading on it.

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just thought of something else. If it were me, when I went in to discuss it with him I would bring with me my prescription bottle and whatever pills I have left. Make the offer that they do a pill count. Don't wait for them to ask you. I'd get my ass in there ASAP. The fact that he mentioned it was a violation would scare the crap out of me. (Sorry if my saying that scares you.)

Also, I just did a VERY quick, cursory Google search and what I found is that people DO use Lasix if they want to pass a drug screen. I'll bet that's what did it!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I absolutely agree with Hat,

But I would bring BOTH prescriptions into the Dr. The Lasix and the Suboxone to show him you have not been diverting the subs, and the Lasix to question him if that drug could have had any effect on the drug screen and I would do this sooner rather than later, as in ASAFP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Great suggestions. I couldn't get in today and I'm leaving after work out of town for my aunt's funeral but made an appointment for Friday. It's the same doctor who prescribes both meds but would guess he's not thinking of the connection of one to the other. I'll bring both bottles in with me. Don't worry Hat, you didn't freak me out with the "violation" comment, I was already freaked out and have been ever since I got the letter. Part of me says though that I've done absolutely nothing wrong, he's a very fair man and he won't just cut me off without considering the Lasix and having me take the tests when I haven't just taken it a few hours earlier. Every single time I go there I ask his staff if I can do my urine test immediately because I took my Lasix and can't hold it so they know I do that and have never been told not to. I just can't imagine he wouldn't consider this and not punnish me for something I didn't know or was never told to not do. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Christine