It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: It's your recovery
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am fairly bothered by this Doctor's comments as while I know her heart is in the right place, her fears are not consistent with the research or the standard when treating an addict with ADD. Yes, many addicts lie about ADD to obtain stimulants but this does not mean that the honest addicts should be punished. There are tools in the trade that you can use: pill counts, drug tests, etc. Addicts take high quantities of stimulants to get high so prescribing a normal dose and maintaining a relationship with the patient should be productive. Please read his article. http://www.sosdallas.com/Link.htm

In my case, I had an opiate addiction and never ever abused a stimulant. I have severe ADD and was recently was prescribed Vyvanse by my psychiatrist. It has been a LIFE changer as I am wildly impulsive and treating the ADD has helped greatly curb some of the impulses that lead me to using.

If you are scared to prescribe stimulants, try Vyvanse, which is a pro-drug which is only converted to L-Amphedimune during digestion. This med has a much lower potential for abuse.

Please know that I respect your clinical opinions but if my psychiatrist had that mindset and didn't believe in me, I would be back to battling that endless cycle ADD that always temped me to take "extra" Suboxone, etc. compulsive behavior can often Ben curbed by treating the ADD. For the record, I was on Stratera for 10 years and it is a complete waste of money. Very little add relief

docm wrote:
Either your doctor has a great deal of experience, or is quite reckless. When I have a patient on Suboxone I don't prescribe or allow another controlled substance. That means no benzo's or stimulants. When I review the prescribing history from the state and find another provider involved they have to choose. The risks of cross addiction are too high for me to support this. I know others do, just my practice. My patient's know this, part of the signed agreement prior to induction so they aren't surprised months later when this comes up. Treat the ADD with someone else or the addiction with me. Same with anxiety or panic disorder. There are non-controlled medications and effective therapies for these conditions that I will steer people towards.
PAX