It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Drug Problem in Portugal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm 

In my local newspaper on Sunday they had an article (which I cannot find) about how Portugal decriminalized drugs 14 years ago. The author did a comparison to the USA drug policy and showed which country was doing the best job.

The numbers were astonishing. A 75% drop in overdose cases in Portugal. If you get caught with a small amount of heroin or whatever they issue a ticket and put you in an education class. This is what I've been saying for years about our "War on Drugs" method. Our rates went up and their rates went down. They spend the money on education instead of lockup.

Do some research for yourself and you'll see what I mean. If and when I find that article I'll post the link. Here is one that is kind of close.

https://www.smartdrugpolicy.org/decriminalization-the-portuguese-example/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another site I visit is the Drudge Retort. A news aggregator that readers can comment on. This topic is visited periodically and the flame war will commence between the drug warriors and the decriminalization partisans. We aren't going to arrest and incarcerate our way out of the current problem. One of the reasons I was so disappointed to see Jeff Sessions appointed as Attorney General, his solution is more cells and longer sentences.
Some drug courts aren't helping matters by mandating Vivitrol and not allowing people to use Suboxone or Methadone.
Wish we had pharmaceutical grade heroin here to be dispensed in special units. At least we could stop some of the deaths from the stuff being dumped in the current street supply.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm 

Thanks Docm2, for that other tidbit of information. Portugal still arrests dealers but goes easy on the addict. Plus, like you said, they give out clean needles and are really into education. If only we were so smart.

Tell children the truth. We have a bad habit of saying "Don't do that!" and of course that is exactly what a child will do. "Just Say No" :lol: :lol: :lol: what a joke that was!