It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Drug for a drug?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone! I'm new here & just registered. I am 21 years old and have been struggling with opiate addiction since I was 15. (Mainly morphine). But anyway, I've been in 5 treatment facilities in the past year and I always get to several months clean, and then relapse again. The cravings do me in every time. I've quit college & also not had a job in two years due to my addition. After talking to counselors & doctors at the last detox place, they reccomened medication maintenance. I was setup with an outpatient program that prescribes suboxone. I started on 8mg strips daily last Wednesday. I am feeling so much better, I can't even explain it. I just feel normal for the first time in a long time. I don't feel like something's missing. (How I always felt before sober). It's amazing. I've also been going to groups and a couple meetings (aa/na doesn't really agree with bupe) so idk how that will go. Anyway, unfortunately the only person in my life that knows I'm on it is my mom, she's amazing and so supportive. She's done lots of research on suboxone and really educated herself and agreed it was the best treatment. Her & I say and read dr. J's blog for hours and hours. My boyfriend of 6 years (who I live with in our apartment) doesn't know, neither does my father or step-mom. All them only agree with bupe for very short term use (detox). I'm trying to figure out how to tell this to them because they're bound to find out. Especially my boyfriend. I searched the blog for "drug for a drug" and found a few good key points in some of dr.j's writings but I seems he says "I've wrote about this so much in the past" and I can't seem to find those older blog posts. So I was wondering if you all can give some input on what I might say to my family who outright disagrees with this treatment only because they're not EDUCATED! *sorry this was so long you guys .

Post subject: Re: Drug for a drug?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:24 am 

Welcome to the forum Osborne! !!

And your new life!!

Im a bit on the run this morning, and have to keep this short.

You are doing the right thi g nere, snd its wonderful mom is on board.
It seems to me that the number one reason why people go off sub is because "loved ones"think tbey know better than the addict .

You nailed it with the word EDUCATION! !
They need more information.
Im very glad to read you are a Dr J fan!! The best in the bizz. This place is where everything you will need to teach your family. .

So many great posts from dr j, and threads ..

Family an others who do not understand bupe or addiction may have trouble with maintenance. Hopefully you will get the bf on board too..
If you go to the Search bar and type appropriate words aot titles, the blog posts you need will pop up.

Ill look for more of them after i get to work. And i KNOW others will be here to help ..

Congrats on your amazing start to recovery Oz! 93...
The sky's the limit for you now..

Razor55....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm 

Hey Osborne,
Another thing you can do is check out dr j s videos.
They are on this site too.

What people need to be convinced of is this is a medical problem.
Others who dont have this issue see it as something to just stop or flat out bad behavior.
Suboxone is a lifesaver. Without it many addicts can and do die or this addiction.
Buprenorphine is like any other medicine that a human being needs to survive an illness.
I see this in the recovery world first hand. The negitivity of this treatment.

It is a tool. Plain an simple. Use it as a med then it is a med. Not a drug.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:29 pm 

Osborne, well done!

I had the exact same reaction to be induced and feeling very normal. I had a ride home, but I really think that I could have driven myself with no problems!

If you and your boyfriend are serious and/or heading for marriage, you need to tell him that you're on sub. Other family members do not need to know! When you hit the 1 year mark, maybe tell them then. They will see that you've been doing well the past year and that will help bolster your case!

Feel free to ask any other questions you have, OK? We're not doctors, just addicts who have learned a lot along the way!

Amy