It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I have read so many horror stories about how awful dropping from one dose to the next is. I was put on 24mg a year ago and for the first few months I felt fine. I work out eat great work full time but it started giving me mass amounts of anxiety which I never had before. I decided to take on tab of 8mg and hold off as long as I could before taking more.. I cleared my mind of all negative and wow.. I have been on 8mg for 2 weeks now not 24mg and I feel like my mind and spirit are back. Clearer more focused able to concentrate. Sleep wake up easily. Life is just better.. Our minds are so powerful and to any one thinking it's going to be hell. I would suggest exercise and eating proper first. I don't smoke or drink so that could help also.. My doctor wants to keep me on 24mg despite what I asked. Which was to lower my dose.. I feel great and in a few weeks want to drop to 6 mg and then to 4mg. That journey I hear is a lot harder and as I work 10 hour days I can't be ill for weeks on end but do want to get off suboxon as fast and as comfortable as possible. What could you tell me about the journey from 8-4-2-1 and off ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for posting your expierence! Just one question, your threadlike says you went from 24 to 12 but the body of your post says you went to 8. Which is correct? Either way I hope everyone sees this as it is so much more typical than many believe it will be. Yes going from 8 to 4 likely won't be as easy but still doable in steps. At 24 mg you are so far over the threshold where bup stops going amy higher that you baby could barely sense any change. So many people, as you stated think it will be a huge change but it's not. I wish we could reprogram, everyone's thinking about bup. Anything over 8 mg is nearly always minimal unless used to treat pain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said.

From what I see, the journey gets harder below 8 mg, and harder still below 4 mg-- which mirrors the way that buprenorphine doses work at receptors. Below a certain point-- maybe 2 or 4 mg-- buprenorphine tapers are similar to tapering other opioids (i.e. agonists).

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am sorry I meant to say I went from 24-8mg and infact I notice a major positive change. For the better. The fog and anxity was gone and I am feeling my sences and emotions again.. I have done so much research on this. I didn't read the negative only the success stories and factual information.. It was then I started to have an anger inside as to why I would be put on such a obsurd dose when it's seems beyond pointless.. Doctors can only go with what we tell them and there training so perhaps this is my fault I didn't read more and understand it better.. Non the less I am very happy I have learned this now not 1-2-3 years from now. Working out and going to work is no where near the hardship. So thank you for posting and confirming I am not some mirical case and anyone can do this and will infact feel better or should feel better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Without a doubt the positive changes from 16 or 24 down to 8 for many are evident. I didn't intend to say there would be no changes just no negative changes. We have so many report they feel withdraws etc dropping even slightly below 16. That's just not typical physically. It's mostly mental. I totally agree that the side effects of being at 8 mg or in my case 2 mg are far less. Not nearly as tired. Not nearly as sexually disinterested. Closer to normal stool. Able to get pain relief if needed - rarely needed but you never know. It's true it would be easier to dabble back in using at my lower dose but for me it's no issue at all. I have fewer cravings now than at 8 mg. I'm certain that is due to other areas of my recovery and not bup action but it's still the case for me.

Perhaps best of all you are paying about $300 a month for medication versus $900 a month. That's huge! I'm paying $62 a month rather than $300. Multiply either of those by 12 and it's a new car in a few years!