It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dropping to 6mg Subutex
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I decided to drop my dose of Subutex from 8mg to 6mg today to see if I could stabilize at the lower dose. When I went to the clinic the nurse said they only come in 2mg and 8mg pills, so I would need to take 3 of the 2mg. She said they have a rule that you can only have 2 pills in your mouth at once though. Odd, I thought. So, I had to take 2 pills, wait for them to dissolve while I was at the clinic, then go back to the dosing counter, get my last pill, and let it dissolve before I could leave. This is what my clinic makes you do for 90 days before they will consider take homes - go every day and wait for the meds to dissolve before they let you leave. It's just kind of a pain. Anyone else have to do this? It seems like a lot of other people elsewhere get take homes or scripts right away. My drug screens have been clean for the 2 months I've been on Subutex, but they say there's no way around the rules. They tried to tell me it was a State regulation (Indiana), but I'm not sure. As always, thanks for listening. Everyone is so helpful and caring on this site. ~ Leslie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Leslie,

Sorry no one has answered or posted to you yet. I'm guessing it's because no one is sure what to say and neither am I really. I just can't believe they won't let you take all 3 of the 2mg subutex at once to save you some time. I have no idea if it's an Indiana regulation or not, but it sure sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me.

Ask them if they would PLEASE split an 8mg pill in half (4mg) and allow you to take a 2mg pill and half of the 8mg pill which would equal a 6mg dose to help YOU out? Might be worth asking, but from the sound of how they operate it might be highly unlikely. I'd ask anyway.

I realize you just reduced to the 6mg, but if you could reduce as soon as possible to 4mg then you would be in better shape. I don't know how long you plan on remaining on 6mg, but I would keep pressuring them to allow you to do it your way especially with your drug screens all being clean each time.

Hang in there Leslie qand best wishes!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for answering, Karen! I know my situation isn't a big deal, but its frustrating. Sometimes I wait in line 15 minutes, other times over an hour. Then to have to wait to split up the dose just seems ridiculous, especially when I'm trying to get to work each morning. I will ask about breaking up the 8mg pill. Also, my plan is to get to 4mg quickly like you mentioned. From what I've read on here so far, it seems like dropping from 6 to 4 shouldn't be too hard. It's when you start going below 4 that it can get a little tricky, right? Thanks again for your advice!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll be completely honest with you Leslie and tell you I felt about the same on very high doses of Suboxone as I did on the lower ones. My theory, or opinion is that once a person gets completely stable on their dose of sub, no matter what that dose happens to be, after a little time has passed on that dose it takes very little sub to keep a person stable. And that's due in part to the long half life of subs I believe. Again, that's my opinion only here.

I was inducted on 24mgs by my doctor. Sure wish I knew then what I do now, but that's another story. I was on that 24mgs for about 2 years and knew it was time for ME to get off the sub, but my doctor wanted me to remain there at 24mgs. I tapered during my 3rd year on it anyway without his knowledge down to 2mg and that is when I joined the forum here looking for help to taper lower and get off.

I can honestly say I felt just as good on doses of 18mg, 12mg, 10mg, 8mg, 6mg, 4mg, and even 2mg as I did on 24mg. In fact I felt BETTER as the doses got lower! My sleep improved, I wasn't as constipated, had more energy, thoughts became more clear, etc. Now that might not be the same for anyone else, but that's the honest truth how I felt. I found the real work began at 2mg and below. I believe you wouldn't experience many issues getting down to a dose of 4mg and 2mg yourself Leslie.

I have several friends on subs at one time or another. I have offered my help to them, and they have done the same for me. Most all of these friends say the same as I do, getting down to 2-4mg is fairly easy compared to going lower than that. I found you can taper fairly quickly from higher doses down to that 2-4mg range, but once there you need to take it slower going lower than that in most cases.

Just remain as positive as you possibly can when reducing your dose. And what helped me the most was to always remember that I was getting off very strong and powerful drugs in the subs so some level of discomfort was to be expected. It's not suppose to be easy to do in my opinion. Thinking that way really helped me in the long run.

Your very welcome Leslie, glad to be of any help I can. Take care and keep us all updated with your progress. If you have additional questions just ask.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you being treated at a methadone type clinic? If so they are not regulated like Suboxone doctors. They are not subject to the cap, hence the same rules as someone taking methadone. Only such a facility would have such a rule, observed dosing for 90 days after each change. Consider finding a Suboxone doctor so you can be seen much less frequently. They might require the films instead of Subutex but might be an ok tradeoff for you. Indiana has over a hundred sub doctors registered. PAX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Karen, I feel much better about reducing my dose after reading what you had to say about it. I think that getting to 4mg is a good plan and will be fairly easy. I very much appreciate that you have taken the time to respond to me in such detail and with so much thoughtfulness. You are a very kind person. Docm, thank you also for your suggestions. You are correct, I am dosing at a methadone-type clinic. I just figured that every place was the same but now I see that is not true. I will do a search for Sub doctors and see if there is another place nearby. I guess if all else fails, I am just a month away from getting take home medication if I can just hang in there! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:01 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I dropped from 8 to 6mg.
It may be just the power of suggestion, but I feel much better on 6, less side effects and still no craving.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with clinic nonsense, I hope you can find a doctor. I think it will help almost all your dosing concerns.