It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dr Drew is an idiot!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you watch that show "Celebrity Rehab Season 3" tonight?!

Dr. Drew just said on there "Suboxone is a taper drug and should never be given for more than 3 days". No wonder why everyone relapses on that show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah really pissed me off for a minute. Maybe he should check the success rate with sub vs 12 step recovery rate no offense to anyone using that method

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 pm 
No I did not see that! But that really upsets me! Really?!?!?!
I was just talking to someone a couple of days ago after it was announced that the Johnson heiress had died at 30 years of age. I was saying how I didn't understand why so many rich, famous people are dying of opiate addiction. I realize it's not known yet if that was the cause with this gal or not and I realize that in a lot of these cases there are other things involved than opiates. But...take the opiates out of the equation and I bet a lot of these people would not have died.
I was talking about how these people have all this money and access to the best medical care and all that, so why aren't they on Suboxone and doing better like us 'regular' people on this forum!!??
Well, that's great - Dr. Drew. That's part of the answer to my question I guess! What an idiot! He needs to talk to Dr. Junig and get his head of the sand!! These people are dying...their lives are being ruined...and this "expert" is saying on national tv with so many people watching who need help and hope, that the very thing that could save them can only be used for a few days!! Unfreakinbelievable!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Prior to the Suboxone comment he stated something to the effect that "Methadone takes your soul away." Or something like that. What a setback. My daughter has already asked questions and made comments about my use of Suboxone and trading one drug for another. I'll bet she saw that show and heard Dr. Drew's comments. I'm sure that will really help matters with me.

I had actually thought Dr. Drew knew what in the hell he was doing and talking about. But which is it? Can he be such a moron or am I? Don't get me wrong. I'm not about to stop Suboxone or even seriously question the path I'm on, but it really makes you wonder if we are doing the right thing. Does everyone think this way? Will everyone thinkg Suboxone is "wrong" now that he's said this? Well not "everyone" but you get my point.

Then on top of it he says that he would rather have the patient cold turkey off of it and he will just medicate them with other things. He did allow a "taper" but I have to wonder if his "taper" will be three days, like he spoke of.

Perhaps this is bothering me more than it should, but this really sucks. It's hard enough to get well without "respected doctor celebs" saying that what you are doing is 100% wrong in no uncertain terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have to admit that Dr. Drews statement went along way with my hubby. He likes to listen to him and I did to. I found that I agreed with some of his opinions on other topics. Well, my hubby approaches me with what Dr Drew said so I have to break out this website, and a few other educational papers I have, to convince him other wise, luckily I spoke to my Sub Doc and told him the situation and he was very disappointed with Dr. Drews statement, so he called my husband up and had a long talk about long term use and how I would probably need it as long as I lived. Now my husband has been a little more educated about the matter and understands it better so hes ok with it. Thats the problem, if people would just take the time and really do some research on this drug they would maybe change their one track minded opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I'm in school right now to be a chemical dependency counselor and you would be dismayed at the level of ignorance about Suboxone treatment among the teachers as well as the students. Ignorance and close-mindedness as well. So much so that I felt obligated to out myself as a former Suboxone patient so I could speak with some level of authority about the issue and refute some of the bogus shit people were asserting about Suboxone.

The same is true for methadone. There was a girl in my pharmacology class who had been on methadone and during some of the class discussions I thought her head was going to explode.

It seems like there is an ideological divide among chemical dependency treatment providers regarding medication assisted treatment. Fortunately, scientific evidence is starting to show that longer-term sub maintenance has better outcomes. And I think it's only a matter of time before more medications are developed to treat addiction.

I remember back when I first started getting treated for depression. Back then, you had to be hospitalized when you started medication because the side effects were horrible and dangerous and you had to be constantly monitored. Taking psych meds was a BIG EFFING DEAL back then - this is like 22 years ago - and people gave me and my parents crap about it all the time and the judgement about it was incredible.

Then SSRI's were invented - much safter and more effective drugs - and now taking psych meds is as common as dirt. I bet there's not a person on this forum who hasn't either taken an antidepressant or has a close friend or family member who does. Someday it will be the same for addiction.

And Doctor Drew can go fuck himself. Really.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just shows many people are uninformed about long term suboxone use. Even doctors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dr. Drew isn't a real doctor, he just plays a doctor on TV. Hey, and how about that Heidi Fleiss... looking foxy huh! That Tom Sizemore is one lucky dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

She's on crystal meth and suboxone lives in the desert with 20 parrots looks like she's 75 but she's only 42. I'm glad crystal meth never made it to rhode island. Unbelievable what that drug does too people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think we should put Dr. Drew Pinsky on methadone, then raise his dose to 100mg/day. Give that to him for a year, then just cut him off because "its taking away his soul".

Maybe he might have some EMPATHY for addicts. He treats them like crap if you ask me, has no compassion for the suffering.

Did you see in the previews that one has a seizure? Thats totally uncalled for and dangerous.

Come to think of it, http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/21/local/me-lasencinas21 is about deaths at the Pasadena treatment center that has caused them some heat. Wonderful drug treatment facility eh!?

Quote:
Three adult patients died unexpectedly and a teenage patient was raped after entering a Pasadena psychiatric hospital known for its association with celebrity physician Drew Pinsky, records show.

The incidents occurred in the last five months at Aurora Las Encinas Hospital, which advertises itself as a "world-renowned" haven where patients with acute mental illness and substance abuse problems can recover in safety and comfort. It is a favored destination for rock musicians and actors, among others.

I can imagine this place is >$50,000 too.

Quote:
This month, a patient in the NASH House, which treats substance abusers on the hospital grounds, hanged himself from a wooden beam, the Los Angeles County coroner found.

One day after his body was found , a 14-year-old girl was raped by a 16-year-old patient as hospital staffers and the suspect's probation officer slept nearby, according to two sources familiar with the matter. "Not a very good track record, especially at an expensive hospital like that," said Taras Otus, the brother of Timur Otus, the 43-year-old bipolar patient who hanged himself. "I don't understand what's going on there exactly."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought he was the LOVELINE doctor.......not an addiction speciaisit.......saw him on The Today Show this week......definitely all about him.......thought the Johnson girl was a major surprise and that she should have been focused on her diabetes meds........certainely doesn't understand suboxone......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
You know, I'm in school right now to be a chemical dependency counselor and you would be dismayed at the level of ignorance about Suboxone treatment among the teachers as well as the students. Ignorance and close-mindedness as well. So much so that I felt obligated to out myself as a former Suboxone patient so I could speak with some level of authority about the issue and refute some of the bogus shit people were asserting about Suboxone.

So am I Diary, and you are so right! My professors are so clueless. I have done several presentations on medication assisted addiction treatment and every time someone comes up to me afterwards and asks me for a brochure or business card and they say, "I never knew these medications even existed", or they just think they are all evil. It's amazing to me, even at my internship site- clueless!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's kind of scary, isn't it?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You know, I have often thought that only ex-addicts should be allowed to counsel and treat people with addiction issues. How can some stuffed shirt with a piece of paper from a fancy university understand the physical and psychological problems that we face? No wonder so much arrant bullshit is talked about the meds we use. And as for this Dr Drew character, I have no idea who he is, but we have arseholes like him in the UK too. Give him 3 bags of Afghani smack a day for 6 months, then let him go cold rattle. He will soon be screaming for suboxone, and I bet for longer than 3 days too. On second thoughts, I wouldn't wish addiction upon my worst enemy, but you get my drift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must admit I always trusted the counselors who had been on drugs once themselves. As an elective for my psych program I took a couple chemical dependency courses. There was this prof who clearly had never used. She was such a tight ass. Anyhow...she preached against anything addictive. It was a five hours class and she would lecture us smokers about taking breaks to smoke and prohibited it at one point. I brought in chew and started spitting in a cup during class. Not a big deal except I was being a smart ass and I am female so it was a bit odd. She shut up after that though. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree with SneakyE and JackC about the better drug counselors being the ones who are in recovery themselves.

Think about this:
Would you take your broken car to a mechanic who didn't know how to drive?

-Annmarie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What I hate about Dr. Drew and the show as it kind of seems like it's viewed through his eyes and that he is some high and mighty creature...He does commentary on his experience with the patients and what it was like dealing with this group of people and to me that seems totally unprofessional....He's trying to combine loveline and addiction and that doesn't work in my opinion.

On the of the last episodes Heidi Fleiss and the crazy person that she is left rehab and rolled her car...One of the counselors asked her if she still had Suboxone at her house and suggested she throw it away....She skipped out on rehab for two days and crashed her car with her friends in it...Now, I'm not doctor but that seems like an event that could trigger and relapse and wouldn't you RATHER her taking SUBOXONE than going back to shooting tar? They demonize the drug and the misinformed public look at Suboxone in a rather negative light. For God Sakes Mike Starr the former bassits of Alice and Chains was checked into the rehab center for something like 180 MG of Methadone a day and a black tar addiction. Although I don't agree with those short 1 week suboxone they have out there it seems like this is a case where it could help the patient out tremendously as he would be under constant supervision the WHOLE time. I'm not saying for the whole withdrawals as I know methadone and take MONTHS to do it but at least for the worst part in the beginning...It seems like cruel and usual punishment to me.

Also, on a past season of Celebrity Rehab Amber Smith was in there for withdrawal of 1 milligram of Suboxone and was literally dying...I know cold turkey withdrawal from suboxone can be bad but THAT SEVERE? Either she was lying about what dose she was REALLY taking or she was taking something else. I've been through withdrawals of a 20 Norco a day habit along with doing 2 balloons of black tar heroin and my withdrawals weren't THAT severe. I know everyone is different but come on!

Drew seems like a nice guy and all but his complete opposition of Suboxone bothers me. It seems like a lot of us people on this forum are doing a lot better than the people on the show are and they have God in human form Dr Drew Pinksy on their side who says himself people can DIE from cold turkey withdrawals. I mean, he suggested Jeff Conway...he couldn't even stand up straight let alone walk not be on ANY pain killers. There is such thing as pain management...These drugs were invented for a purpose to help people. You don't cut off someone with extreme operations and issues like him just because he was abusing it. You monitor his dose like EVERY OTHER DOCTOR does. He seems like a prime candidate for a close pain management regime followed by long-term suboxone use.

The sad part is...I still watch the show. Call me a hypocrite I suppose lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I still watch it too and now I am watching "Sober House" too. I can't help it. I believe Amber was using suboxone to get her "high" versus coming off it but from watching her on the show, you would have thought she was ON suboxone because that girl NEVER looked terrible. I don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty sure NONE of us are immune from looking like total poo when we are in withdrawals. Her laying in the hallway seemed much more of a drama moment than anything else to me. I felt like crap in withdrawal from oxy and suboxone but I could still make it to the comfy couch unless I was puking in the toilet which is an easier reach than the garbage can on the floor in the hallway. :roll:

In watching some of the sober house previews, seems to me that Mike and Tom ought to both be on suboxone and it seems dangerous and unethical to keep either of them off of it at this point. A relapse for either of them could easily be death. I get that they are polysubstance users but wouldn't suboxone ease things a bit for both of them?

I heard at one point that at least one of the former cast is now on suboxone but I do not recall who it is. I would be curious to know how they were doing now.

Cherie

Post subject: Dr. Drew, real or fake??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:01 am 
I've heard that Dr. Drew is nothing more than a TV Doctor. Only hearsay but quite possible. I do still watch the show and i had respect for him up until he made the false statement about suboxone. He only see's things his way and is very close minded. You would think that someone in his position should be a little more caring and understanding. I felt terrible for Mike coming off such a high dose of Methadone with basically nothing. I had a 60mg's a day methadone habit and i couldnt have made it through the withdrawals without suboxone. Im now 10 months clean because of suboxone. Then Mindy Mcready had that siezure probably because Dr. Drew made her completely stop taking her xanax which were prescribed too her. You dont just stop somebody's medication all of the sudden. Especially a narcotic medication. Its just senseless!! To everyone that reads this Have a great day being clean and sober!! ~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, I also LOVE watching those shows. Amber claimed to only be detoxing off 1mg of Sub???!!?? IMPOSSIBLE. She HAD to be taking more opiates than that. She's a drama queen and was just trying to get some attention by lying in the hallway throwing up all night. Please.

And don't even get me started on that poor girl who was having the seizures. That was very dangerous. Perhaps Dr. Drew is denying them comfort meds for prime-time ratings. On another show, I watched him NOT give the "heroin twins" their Sub for days and days. He kept promising it, but kept saying he didn't think the girl was hurting badly enough to take it. And if she asked him for it, he said she was drug-seeking. Poor thing couldn't even get out of bed to use the restroom (yes, she had an accident), yet he kept trying to make her attend a therapy session. Therapy is not effective if the patient is incoherent from pain.

Dr. Drew, I'd love to jack you up on a bundle of smack for a few months, slap you in front of a camera, then dangle a Sub Rx above your detoxing head for a few days. It's a new, spiteful technique I like to call "Forced Empathy." He is such a bastard.

I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent.