It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why don't you just send something anonymously to the teachers so they will stop spewing garbage? Just curious. If you don't want to do it, PM me with the name and address and I would be happy to send them some literature :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He is a MEDIA WHORE who doesn't give a shit about anyone. I agree TOTALLY!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack wrote:
Why don't you just send something anonymously to the teachers so they will stop spewing garbage? Just curious. If you don't want to do it, PM me with the name and address and I would be happy to send them some literature :-)

I would but i rather prove them wrong and once i become what i want to be ill come back one day and tell them how wrong they are once i have the tittle in front of my name were theyll actually take what i have to say serious. sending an email to them isnt worth it cause teacchers are so closed minded and wouldnt even think twice of what they say to us. i have once teacher who use to run a methadone clinic and shes the only one who has no problem with suboxone i have talked with her about this issue and she told me just be bigger then it no matter how much it makes u upset in the long run they are wrong and you are living proff of that!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have to say, when my friend had to cold-turkey 4mgs because she lost her job and insurance, she tried to contact Dr. Drew. He doesn't even work at the Pasadena Recovery Center, and for generic advice, you have to pay. I still watch Celebrity Rehab, and Sober House because I find it somewhat amusing. But am also left with many questions.
I think I started really disliking him with the whole Carrie Anne thing. Along with the fact that he is not out there really helping us regular people. There are so many wholes in these celebrities rehabilitation's. It is all about the drama, and not informative or helpful to people that watch!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

sugarcain wrote:
I think I started really disliking him with the whole Carrie Anne thing. Along with the fact that he is not out there really helping us regular people. There are so many wholes in these celebrities rehabilitation's. It is all about the drama, and not informative or helpful to people that watch!!

I know! When Kari Ann joined the show mid-season I got the feeling it was because there wasn't enough drama in the group. I was actually thinking to myself before she joined "wow, this looks like the best cast ever" and I loved how there wasn't that person in the group who always derails everything (Jeff Conaway). I bet they thought this season it would be Dennis Rodman, but he turned out to be too laid back. They also tried to get some sparks flying with Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore, but then they turned out to get along. So they had to bring in Kari Ann.

It's gotta have an effect on their recovery to have them trying to constantly inject drama for ratings, then again they are getting free rehab so I guess the producers feel justified in doing whatever they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just had to reply re: Dr. Drew. Maybe I felt the need to reply cuz I have always had a secret crush on Dr. Drew......ooops did I say that out loud???? Anyways......I think different docs have different philosophies regarding subs. It's unfortunate b/c we all know how well this works. I think Dr. Drew is an addictionologist (whatever that is). But some docs believe it is strictly for detox. I have dealt with several docs like that. I do have respect for Dr. Drew even tho I find Celebrity Rehab kind of exploitative and sensationalistic. But I have his book "Cracked" and there is no doubt in my mind that he does care deeply (almost co-dependently) about his patients. I think he just has an opinion that differs from ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I used to respect him. Until I saw some weird stuff that made ZERO sense on his shows. Especially with Mike Starr.
Then when he said, and I quote, "Suboxone can be somewhat addictive" I was FLOORED. REALLY!! Come on Dr. Drew. Subutex is the most misused opiate in Europe right now. People watch these shows for advice. And when everything is spun and not told to us in it's entirety, we get no insight as to what he is dosing them with and I think that is an important piece of information. Had NO idea Mike Starr was on Suboxone until he asked Jen for some. I dunno. I will watch it BECAUSE of the stupid drama. I enjoy that part. At least it shows people when they are raw. As far as this last group of drug addicts, I think Tom Sizemore is the only one with any chance for sobriety. He was on Larry King and gave a raw, incredible interview. He is a great actor. Hope he pulls off a Robert Downey Jr. and gets his ass in the saddle again!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm 
I wanted to bring this thread back to life. It's already two pages and I haven't read all of it, so I apologize if this has been said already. So, I think that Dr. Drew and Counselor Bob played a role in at least Mike Starr's death by denying him replacement therapy. From what I can gather, he was a heroin addict, then was detoxing from methadone during Celebrity Rehab, then was at some point put on Suboxone. He vaguely mentioned it/was dosed with it on the show, but on one of the last episodes, Drew has Counselor Bob go to the Sober House to 'get that fuckin Suboxone outta there?!?!?!' I think Starr was complaining that his Suboxone dosage wasn't high enough and Drew thought this was addict behavior, so he wanted him off. With the low opinions drew and Bob have of methadone/suboxone his dose was probably too low, or he was on some kind of unreasonable taper. Anyway, Bob plays the cool-exrocker-friend-counselor and guilts Starr into letting him take away his Suboxone. I think he even said 'you don't need this shit.' I emailed Drew about this after I saw this clip on the VH1 site pre-Mike's death. Needless to say...No response; it likely never even got to him.

RIP Mike Starr. Yet another opioid-related death that may have been prevented.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

travispnorton wrote:
I wanted to bring this thread back to life. It's already two pages and I haven't read all of it, so I apologize if this has been said already. So, I think that Dr. Drew and Counselor Bob played a role in at least Mike Starr's death by denying him replacement therapy. From what I can gather, he was a heroin addict, then was detoxing from methadone during Celebrity Rehab, then was at some point put on Suboxone. He vaguely mentioned it/was dosed with it on the show, but on one of the last episodes, Drew has Counselor Bob go to the Sober House to 'get that fuckin Suboxone outta there?!?!?!' I think Starr was complaining that his Suboxone dosage wasn't high enough and Drew thought this was addict behavior, so he wanted him off. With the low opinions drew and Bob have of methadone/suboxone his dose was probably too low, or he was on some kind of unreasonable taper. Anyway, Bob plays the cool-exrocker-friend-counselor and guilts Starr into letting him take away his Suboxone. I think he even said 'you don't need this shit.' I emailed Drew about this after I saw this clip on the VH1 site pre-Mike's death. Needless to say...No response; it likely never even got to him.

RIP Mike Starr. Yet another opioid-related death that may have been prevented.

TBH, when i first saw the subject line of this thread- that Dr. Drew is an idiot-
I did not agree. However, when I read the post that is quoted above, I must admit that
I have now changed my mind about Dr. Drew. Apparently, denying Mike Starr's Suboxone
has seemed, in my opinion, to have played a role in his untimely death. And that is very
unfortunate, indeed.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had to reply to this post....
and I too remember the thing with mike starr, he WAS coming off methadone, like 120mgs a day,,,and before sober house he was on suboxone. and we all know he cuda had a very different ending if MAYBE he wouldve been allowed to continue. I agree,,,,,,,RIP mike. the reason I remember so well, was I was sick at the same time. when the cel rehab season 1st started, watched a marathon of it on a sunday, and they started sober house, the 1st episode that night.
anyways,
I watch doc drew once and awhile on HLN and he totaly disagrees with ANY kind of replacement therapy. I watched an interview he did with a mom and her teenage son, he was on sub, and dr drew said that "abstinence is the only way to get well" and he demanded the mother quit giving him access to the doc and subs. I couldn't belive it. at the time of sober house I had no idea what bupe or sub was, and I used to like doc drew.
I have heard him on more than one occasion say nothing but negative things about any replacement therapy. Im convinced it's this type of closed minded, old school, straight-jacket "make it thru the kicks" attitude that gives suboxone a bad wrap. C'mon doc drew,,,,,lets go into the next century and actually look at research with an open mind. any doctor with that LARGE of a listening audience oughtta WANT to educate others. even if he doesnt agree with it, he could say more than "its pure poison" as I have heard him say!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I went back and watched those clips of Mike Starr and I was bawling my eyes out. (I'm an emotional wreck - 1 week off of Sub). Maybe staying on Sub for life isn't for everyone, but he was most definitely a candidate - 20 years of opiate abuse, IV drug user, many near death overdoses - not to mention the mental issues and feeling responsible for Layne Staley's death. It was just so fucking heartbreaking to think that he could have lived if only they would have let him stay on maintenance. Maybe he would have relapsed and died anyway, but at least on Sub he would have had a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I whole heartedly agree!!! I watched the season with Mike Starr on netflix last weekend.....so so so so very sad.
It was amazing to me doc drew's attitude about the whole thing.
ANd Ive watched his shows before on HLN where he talks soooooo much shit about suboxone/subtex. You would think, all the publicity he gets, he would be just about as informed as a person could be.
I hope someday that there are ALOT MORE people eduacated about this form of treatment.
My family would agree, that it sure saved MY life