It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can't believe what i'm hearing about this Dr Drew character. We don't get this program in the UK so could somebody please give me a link to see an episode of this Celebrity Detox or whatever it's called? Sounds more like Celebrity Torture to me. Why has this person's medical license not been taken away? I thought the very first line of the Hippocratic Oath was ' First do no harm'. How much harm is this guy doing not only to the subjects on the program but also to the thousands of addicts who are watching this and are being scared off Suboxone therapy? Absolutely unbelievable.

Post subject: Does this help?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:41 pm 
Sneakyelephant: The show is called "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew". I think the link is www.celebrityrehab.com and its season 3. That should help you get to where you need too be. Hope this helps!! Hope everyone has a great day being clean!! ~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:48 pm 
Sneakyelephant: Hey i forgot too say that you may have to go to yahoo or google to search that show title for episodes and anything further in detail. ~PEACE~

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Agreed, you can't just take someone off of benzo's cold turkey. It's the worst torture I could ever think of. I was heavily addicted to Xanax for about a year till eventually under my own will I just quit. I couldn't stand not remembering things, spending money and having nothing to show for it and just being a sloppy mess altogether. I would not wish Benzo W/D's on my WORST enemy. I would have to rate it worse than opiate withdrawals. I had about two seizures and I felt like ripping out my skin. Also, the mental aspect....I remember just breaking out in tears for no reason then turning angry...Ugh, I don't even wan to think about it.

I just think what he is doing is unethical.....Why did Dr. Drew let Mike Starr leave after Celebrity Rehab? He was gone for a week and apparently relpased within a few hours of leaving the center. Someone like him is WAY too sick to leave. He could of been given Suboxone the whole time and I guarantee he would of stayed and not gone back into relapse. Putting someone through cold turkey withdrawal when they were taking over 180 MG of Methadone and a black tar habit is torture. The CIA, FBI, and Military were all accussed of torture....If they really wanted to torture someone they should of shot them up with smack for a month straight then cut him off cold turkey. They would tell you ANYTHING to stop the pain and suffering.

DMX just got arrested...In recent months he was apparently clean and only high on god...Well, he violated probation five times using street drugs and instead of sending him to jail Dr. Drew sent the judge a letter pleading with him to send him to Pasadena Recovery Center. Would any of us receive this treatment with an extensive prior record? No. All Dr. Drew is putting in celebrities mind is that they're above the law. They can use and it's fine, they'll just end up Pasadena Recovery Center boosting the ratings for his show. It is amazing to me the pull this guy has in Hollywood and why is such a widely popular talking head.

He tells the patients he feels sorry for them and knows Mike Starr's pain from detoxing on methadone....Do you really know their pain Dr. Drew? Just because you read a book and treated a few pompous celebrities doesn't mean you can relate to anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SneakyElephant wrote:
I can't believe what i'm hearing about this Dr Drew character. We don't get this program in the UK so could somebody please give me a link to see an episode of this Celebrity Detox or whatever it's called? Sounds more like Celebrity Torture to me. Why has this person's medical license not been taken away? I thought the very first line of the Hippocratic Oath was ' First do no harm'. How much harm is this guy doing not only to the subjects on the program but also to the thousands of addicts who are watching this and are being scared off Suboxone therapy? Absolutely unbelievable.

Sneaky here is a good start on YouTube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2OvaNjKxU[/youtube]

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did you guys see this about Jeff Conaway?

Quote:
Two stints in Celebrity Rehab didn't take for Jeff Conaway. And now the reality for the Grease star is pretty grim.

Just ask his exasperated girlfriend, Vikki Lizzi, who has now come forward in an impassioned plea to get him help after he wound up hospitalized following a drug-fueled fall at his home.

"This is just devastating," Lizzi says in an exclusive interview with E! News. "I tried to save him from himself by trying to get him help...He wants to die at home. He knows the meds are killing him. He can't get off them."

The 59-year-old Conaway has been unable to kick a prescription drug habit. Things have gotten so bad that he's been contemplating his own funeral.

"He's talking about being burned on a boat and sent out to sea like a Viking funeral. It sends chills up my spine," Lizzi says. "We're all trying to save his life, and he's not listening."

According to Lizzi, Conaway has repeatedly brought up the subject of suicide and his condition has become so erratic that he has suffered several falls at home. The latest one this week resulted in emergency surgery for a fractured hip and head injuries. He is still recovering.

"I don't think he wants to die. I think it's the meds that are destroying his mind," Lizzi adds.

She says she's tried to get him help, but only a few of Conaway's famous friends have shown any interest. His old Grease running mate John Travolta expressed concern by sending flowers this week, and Celebrity Rehab guru Dr. Drew Pinsky is once again consulting with Conaway, although Lizzi isn't sure it's enough.

Conaway, she says, "is just stubborn. He needs an intervention."

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b163217_girlfriend_on_relapsed_jeff_conaway_he.html#ixzz0iUS5Mcrh

Looks like that abstinence is really paying off! Way to go Pasadena Recovery Center!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Annmarie,

I am confused. I don't recall any heroin twins with Dr. Drew. I do recall 2 heroin twins on Dr. Phil however. I recall this vividly because on the first day of the show and the two women were in that Dr. Phil House and one was coming off heroin REAL BAD...I was taking the day off work in oxycontin withdrawal with vomiting and restless legs, runny nose, yawning and the whole nine yards. I was so damn ill and I remember this doc coming in and setting this liquid stuff on the coffee table just in this poor woman's reach and asking if she wanted the bupe. Of course she was like "yes...give me the bupe". He wouldn't give her the bupe. I was at home watching and I was like...."beeoopa what"? What the hell is that? I just thought it was some narcotic same as all the rest. I think it was also that day where I started researching online to see what this "beeoopa-what" thing was and also thought in my head "heroin would be cheaper...wonder if I can get any". I recall that Dr. Phil episode like it was yesterday. I also recall that part 2 would be on the next week same day and of course I was high again by then and missed it. But I did see a follow up of the heroin girls when I was on the sub.

Anyways.....if there is a Dr. Drew and heroin twin episode then I would like to see it and someone catch me up as I don't recall who these people were.

As for Jeff Conaway or whoever he is.....I love it that John Travolta is sending flowers. Don't scientologists believe they can save everyone else because they are a "higher species" or something? If so..is this how he intends to save Jeff? Because they don't believe in psychotropic drugs so are flowers better? Do they have healing quality to them? Just curious because if this is the new cure for addiction I need to head to a nursery ASAP.

Post subject: Drew on Phil
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, that is the episode I was remembering, too. Dr. Drew was highlighted as the Detox/Addiction Doctor and he was in the house with the twins on the Dr. Phil show. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Wasn't that horrible?? The way he dangled that carrot in front of the suffering/craving addict...only to deny her. Situations like that scare people away from rehabs. I mean, if an addict only needed "tough love" to get clean, you'd never have to venture further than your Mom's arms to achieve sobriety.
(Or a copy of 'Dianetics'.)

What a joke.

....although, strangely, I can't stop watching those shows...

Last edited by annmarie on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL...Jackcrack you're showing your age. Jeff Conaway used to be on Taxi. Tee hee.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Drew vs. Probst
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

New Reality Show Idea:

Dr. Drew heads to the pacific, leading a group of junkies through the ultimate obstacle course of sobriety.
We can call it "Detox Island."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YES. DETOX ISLAND!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LMAO!!!! Love it!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

They dangled Bupe in front of a junkie's face while she was detoxing? Did they ever give it to her? I don't see HOW that could be medically beneficial in any way...I would of killed them. Would there happen to be any video of this? That is just sickening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There probably is video if you go to drphil.com and look up heroin twins. It was horrible. When I watched it I thought she had AMAZING self control to be coming off heroin in full withdrawal with some jerk hanging the bupe over her head like that. I would have said "F you people" grabbed the bupe and ran as fast as I could. I could NOT for the life of me understand why they did that to her except to humiliate her and show how desperate withdrawals are. But they should have at least given in to her and let her have it at a certain point. They acted like it was poison and if she chose it then she was weak and choosing a drug, NOT choosing sobriety which is ridiculous. The fact she was STAYING in that house and willing to take the bupe OVER heroin was impressive to me.

What blows my mind is people thinking addiction is caused by someone being "weak minded" because addicts are some of the most resilient people I have ever met. If straight people only knew what it takes to stay alive through this and to get to this point of choosing suboxone is a miracle and takes tremendous strength in and of itself. I liked the way the HBO documentary classified addiction as a brain disease, not a psychiatric weakness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Agreed, just like those little 1 week Suboxone/Subutext programs that they do...Okay...so, come in early, early in the morning, sit around with a bunch of crackheads....We're way, way, way down south for people who live up North and way way way up North for people who live down south...We do it on purpose. After a week of taking subs you're magically healed! You're not an addcit anymore! If you are then you are weak!

While, I appreciate it a little the problem is the counselors and the doctors who visit there act like you are some piece of trash...Not everyone who is an addict shoots dirty needles in an alleyway behind a Chinese Restaurant.

I was literally sitting outside of one of those at the bus stop and a guy went up to me and asked if I had a needle he could use...Yeah, I keep dirty needles at the ready. Also, the amount of time people try to bum cigarettes from you is really, really annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If anyone else is interested in viewing the "Dr Phil Heroin Twins" video I have found the link...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZED7tammvKc&feature=PlayList&p=4506C0BEEA174592&index=0[/youtube]

*edit* jamez70 made the video inline with the 'YouTube' button :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thankyou lifesaver and jamez for the links. Having watched some of this, I can only say....UNBELIEVABLE!!!
This is the worst kind of sensationalist tv. Which bright young thing went to a production meeting and said ' here's an idea...we get a bunch of junkies ,take their drugs away and totally humiliate them on camera,and hope one of them dies. Just think of the RATINGS!'
I seriously don't watch much telly now, the programs here are getting just like the ones in the USA. It's only a matter of time before we see our own home grown stars suffering on camera. I can see it now.... Simon Cowell, Sharon Osborne and Victoria Beckham judging who has the best/worst withdrawals this week. We could all phone in and vote for the best seizure.
DISGUSTING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh, Sneaky-E, you're on to something...

Addiction Idol. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

donh wrote:
Will everyone thinkg Suboxone is "wrong" now that he's said this? Well not "everyone" but you get my point.

It's a legitimate concern. Of the people who have now heard of Suboxone, a large percentage have this show (and the "expert" Dr. Drew) as their only source of information about it.

donh wrote:
Then on top of it he says that he would rather have the patient cold turkey off of it and he will just medicate them with other things.

Yeah, and I'd rather there be world peace. That's easy to say, isn't it? Maybe Dr. Drew should have to choose between 9 people using heroin and 1 clean, or 10 people on Suboxone. I wonder then which one he'd rather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
You know, I'm in school right now to be a chemical dependency counselor and you would be dismayed at the level of ignorance about Suboxone treatment among the teachers as well as the students. Ignorance and close-mindedness as well. So much so that I felt obligated to out myself as a former Suboxone patient so I could speak with some level of authority about the issue and refute some of the bogus shit people were asserting about Suboxone.

The same is true for methadone. There was a girl in my pharmacology class who had been on methadone and during some of the class discussions I thought her head was going to explode.

It seems like there is an ideological divide among chemical dependency treatment providers regarding medication assisted treatment. Fortunately, scientific evidence is starting to show that longer-term sub maintenance has better outcomes. And I think it's only a matter of time before more medications are developed to treat addiction.

I remember back when I first started getting treated for depression. Back then, you had to be hospitalized when you started medication because the side effects were horrible and dangerous and you had to be constantly monitored. Taking psych meds was a BIG EFFING DEAL back then - this is like 22 years ago - and people gave me and my parents crap about it all the time and the judgement about it was incredible.

Then SSRI's were invented - much safter and more effective drugs - and now taking psych meds is as common as dirt. I bet there's not a person on this forum who hasn't either taken an antidepressant or has a close friend or family member who does. Someday it will be the same for addiction.

And Doctor Drew can go fuck himself. Really.

OH MY GOD THANKYOU SO MUCH IM ALSO STUDYING THAT IN SCHOOL AND IT MAKES ME SO MAD TO HEAR WHAT SOME OF MY TEACHERS SAY!