It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: doxepin for withdrawal?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

so i told my sub doc that I have to taper/quit Sub over the next 2 weeks, as I'll be going to jail for an unknown period of time, and would like to get the WD over with as fast as possible, as to hopefully avoid bad WD's while in jail. He gave me a taper plan with the sub, and also prescribed me doxepin, which up until today, I'd never heard of. Apparently it's an anti depressant, which can help with the insomnia/restless part of WD...anyone have any experience with this drug? He says to take 1-3 a night, whichever dose works best...is it only helpful for sleep? Or can it be taken during the day? I know there's no miracle drug out there, but anything that helps ease the pain is a Godsend...

btw my sub dose is at about 1mg/day, split with 3 .3mg doses throughout the day. I've found that I'm able to get to about 16 hours after my last dose, and not feel noticeable WD symptoms, but the urge to take more always trumps my desire to stop/curiosity of how long I can go without dosing........but I've heard that most people experience the onset of sub withdrawal about 12-16 hours after their last dose, so this gives me a little hope that maybe my WD's wont be too bad after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad he at least gave you something. That should help you sleep. I don't know much about it myself, so I did a cursory Google search for "doxepin opiate withdrawal" and it showed up on a lot of forums where people were prescribed it along with clonidone for opiate withdrawals. I guess it's not that unusual, although we've not discussed it here on this forum very much.

I hope it helps you get some good rest. Many people say that's the worst of the withdrawals. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doxepin / deptran / "stop signs" is an oldschool tricyclic antidepressant / detox medication. I think the idea was that they could knock people out for a few days until their withdrawal was over.

I've never had it myself, but have been around people in detox who were given it. They'd spend all day and night in bed, and occasionally stumble out to go to the bathroom and drink all the milk then go back to bed, leaving us with no milk.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

^ lol, those damn milk bandits!

I go to get my prescription filled today, for the doxepin and subs. luckily this time around, my doc prescribed me the 2 mg films. Before I was getting the 8mg pills. This will undoubtedly make it much easier to measure doses. Well, I will update when I can with my experience with this doxepin stuff. I plan on taking no sub for as long as possible, and just knocking myself out with the doxepin if it does in fact put me out.