It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alright, well I'm back again to give my monthly update. It's been a month and I've gone from 1.0mg down to 0.75mg. I've been dropping 0.063mg's every week to help eliminate any of the major withdrawals. Long story short, it's been working.

In the past I attempted to drop by larger amounts and experienced withdrawals that affected my work and social life. I had to go work everyday and had roommates to deal with, so I couldn't go through those withdrawals at that my point in my life and went back up to my normal 8mg dose. That was my typical dose for the majority of my 3 year Suboxone run. My addiction is my little secret that none of my friends or coworkers know about so I couldn't afford to go into work depressed or sick because it would of been unacceptable.

Therefore, since I was lucky enough to stockpile enough suboxone films and withdrawal remedy medications, I have developed my own taper plan. My main goal was to taper off of Suboxone without having any withdrawals so my work and social life wouldn't be affected.

I wasn't sure how it was going to be in the beginning when I started this taper plan at 2mg. Fortunately, I was fine throughout my taper from 2mg to 1mg and it was actually very surprising! It was strange because I dropped every week on Wednesday and it became very routine that I didn't really think about what dose I was taking until I actually cut them up one day a week and put them in my daily pill container. Every day I just took half of my dose in the morning and the second half in the afternoon. Before I knew it, I was down to 1mg and now 0.75mg.

Once I got down to below 1mg, I did start to feel some minor withdrawals. Most notably was, there were a couple nights during the week when I dropped to 0.875mg that I couldn't sleep well. Luckily I didn't have any of the creepy crawly skin or RLS, but I just couldn't sleep well. I thought about taking my morning dose early, but I resisted and was tired at work the next day. This happened twice that week, but luckily they weren't consecutive days. Some days I would get a little more irritable and slightly depressed in the afternoon, but nothing that reduced my work productivity. Overall my mental and physical state has remained pretty consistent during my taper plan.

The one reason I decided to drop every Wednesday was I figured if I did have any withdrawals, I would get them over the weekend and would be able to deal with them without effecting my work. So far, I've been able to hang out with my friends and do social things I typically do on the weekends without having any withdrawal symptoms bother me.

I realize my taper plan isn't for everybody because of the timeline. The total duration to drop from 2mg do to 0mg, reducing by 0.063mg each week is 32 weeks. If you're in a hurry or have a limited supply then it's probably not the way to go. I've been on it for 3 years already, so I figured what's another 32 weeks. As long as I could avoid any major withdrawals that affected my work and social life, I was good with the duration.

I didn't have a goal to jump off at the end, but at my current pace I'll be at 0mg in 3 more months. Although I'm hoping I don't need to worry about it, I'm planning on taking some time off at the end of the year and will need to remain on Suboxone for 2 more months. I've reviewed my plan and if I switch to dropping by 0.015mg when I get to .125mg, I'll be at 0mg on Christmas which will work out perfectly with my vacation. 0.063 and .015mg are the same size squares when cut from both the 8mg and 2mg films and the smallest I can cut using my Rx film cutting guide.

I appreciate this forum because it's enlightening to read about how others have done with their taper plans and it's a pleasure to read when people have jumped successfully and are doing well.

Before I know it, the end of the year will be here and with that, the end of my addiction to opiates and Suboxone! I look forward to that day and wish others the best to get to that day as well!

RXFCG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, that is amazing RXFCG!
Thanks for continuing to post your progress. It gives a lot of people hope, including myself that it can be done. I know when I finally taper with the intent to stop, I am definitely going to try to follow your taper.
You don't talk about cravings. Have you had any cravings being down so low on your dose?
Thanks again for giving us hope.
Susie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Susie, I'm glad I give you hope and hope one day I will get to read your successful taper story.

As for cravings, I haven't had a craving for opiates in over 2 years and I have been on Suboxone for over 3. When I first started Suboxone, I had cravings all the time and would even relapse because my dealer was always a short drive away. Fortunately, I was able to move 1000 miles across the country for a new job and that helped out the situation, but didn't diminish it. I still made calls to my dealer and convinced him to ship Oxy's to me and I was able to get my fix while I had Suboxone as a back up when I ran out. As most addicts know, this is a terrible situation and a nightmare! Well I ended up racking over 10k in credit card debt and almost lost my job. That was the last straw and I told myself I never wanted to do another opiate again.

Well I stood strong, until I went back to my home town for the holidays. I was put to the test and would often fail. I knew my dealer was a short drive away, and as reliable as dealers are when they want your money, he was there waiting for my arrival with my fix in his hand.

So all that lasted for about the first year I was on Subxone. Luckily for me, but not for him, he got put in jail for dealing. I don't know how long he'll be there or if he's even out, but I have no desire to find out. On top of that, all the group meetings, doctor visits and self awareness has given me such a strong belief that there is nothing positive that could ever come from taking an opiate again. I know how strong and tempting cravings can be, but Suboxone and positive thinking has helped me control those.

Since I have started tapering, I have not had any cravings for opiates. I think partially this is because I don't have any sort of dealer connections, so mentally I know I can't easily get any. Also, I think the long slow taper has allowed my body to "deal" with less and less Suboxone and therefore it doesn't need any other opiates. Therefore I don't have any cravings.

I'm grateful that I haven't had any cravings and if I ever do, I will think about all the negative thinks that have gone wrong in my life due to opiates and fight those cravings!

I hope that answers your question. Good luck to you on your future taper!

RXFCG

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A couple of great posts tonight RXFCG and I appreciate you updating your progress. It's very inspiring to follow your progress as you continue to reduce your dose. Your story is actually similar to my own in a few ways. Happy to hear your taper is working so well for you. Keep up the great work and I wish you continued success!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:19 am 

I'm always happy to see another update from you! You explain everything very well and it gives hope to a lot of people! Keep up the great work!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi RXFCG,
Congratulations on your progress mate. It sounds like you're on track.
I've just been referred to your post, and I think you might be able to give me some advice if you don't mind. I won't go into my story, but basically I'm planning a fairly long term taper similar to what you've been doing and I've got a question or two:
1: When you cut the film into pieces, is there any special way to store it once cut? I've just been switched from tablets to film, and I don't have much experience with the film, but it occurred to me that once the film has been removed from its packet and cut up, then keeping it so that it retains its effectiveness might be a problem.
2: Do you have any experience with dissolving the film in water, storing it that way, and measuring the dose that way? I read the post by Diary Of A Quitter, and his taper method sounded successful, however I think he was using suboxone tablets, not film. I just thought that by dissolving the film in a measured amount of liquid then I wouldn't need to worry about keeping the film dry and safe. Also I thought it might be easier to accurately measure each dose that way (1ml in a syringe and squirted under the tongue for example).
Anyway, thanks for posting about your progress and best of luck with the plan to be off by Christmas.
Martinr.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Karen and Amy, thanks for your kind words.

Martinr, as for your two questions:

I read your story and it seems like we do have a lot in common regarding our taper. We both work quite a bit and can't afford to be held back by withdrawals.

1: Once a week I cut up my film using my Rx film cutting guide which I created. I place the pieces I cut into a 7 day pill container. Since I don't want to carry my pill container around everyday, I leave it at home and place the current days dose into a small plastic bag which I slide into my wallet. Probably equivalent to a 3x3 size plastic bag. Then I take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. I've never really been concern about the effectiveness nor has it seemed to be less effective. I keep my doses dry and in my desk, so out of harms way.

2: The post about the liquid taper is what got me thinkin about the long gradual taper with my films. I've read many successful story about the liquid taper and that's what I'm trying to replicate by cutting my doses into such small increments. If I had the pills versus the films I would've probably gone that way. I don't think dissolving the films in water is the way to go, but I guess it could probably be done if more research was conducted.

I created a website which goes over how to cut your films. I think it's informative and if you're interested check it out. Just google Rx film cutting guide and look at the instructions page.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your taper!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Really appreciate the reply Rx. I'll definitely have a look at the website. Yesterday was the first time I've had to open a strip up and use the film, and they certainly look like fiddly little f....rs.
I didn't think of the pill containers. I would be able to take a week's supply on the road with me, and that would also help with resisting the temptation to take more than intended.
Thanks again, and I'll follow your progress. All the best.
Martinr.