It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quick herstory: I've been on suboxone and bupe for almost 3 years now. I never thought in a million years, i would still be on it this long. I did a rapid, painful detox in Jan 2010, switching to just bupe and going down from 14mg, 7mg, then to 2mg when I found out I was pregnant. I stayed at 2mg for a while.
Somehow with dental surgey a few months ago, I am back on to 4mg steady. My doc wants me to get off, but I honestly cannot. Why does this last 4mg seem to be the hardest???

I am a Mama to 4 and I just don't have the time, nor the patience to "not feel good" I just have too much going on. I haven't had any counseling, just no time, even though it is a requirement with my doc. She let's me slide.

I feel like I use the bupe as an anti-depressent and want to stay on 4mg as a maintenance drug. My doc says it's okay as long as I come in monthly and my UAs are clean.

I want to be off it just so I don't have to take a drug and I'm still breastfeeding, but also I'm not sure if I trust myself either! I recently broke my toe and my bupe doc said when you go to urgent care and they tell you "here is a script for percs, what are you going to say?" She was kind of joking, but my first thought was "Ohhhh that would be nice".
Sorry for the ramble, I guess I just need some support or reassurance from people who have been on a low dose for a long time and finally succeeded in going down to zero. And if anyone is happy and content on bupe or subox for maintenance.
Thanks for listening! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi marbletulip,

I was on Suboxone for almost three years when I quit. I quit last year, in June. I did the whole counseling thing. I took it seriously and tried to improve areas of my life and behaviors that were addict behaviors.

When you mentioned that you broke your toe and you thought Ohhh, that would be nice to get some pain-killers.....it obviously raised a huge red flag with me, I broke my finger this past Sunday and used a pain killer that I wasn't familiar with and ended up in a near OD situation.

Wanting to quit Suboxone and being ready to quit Suboxone are two entirely different things. I can't tell you if you're ready to quit Suboxone or not, but I sure can get you to ask yourself if you're really ready to quit Suboxone.

BTW, I am glad that I don't have to take Suboxone anymore, it just wasn't a long term or maintenance drug for me. There are several on this site who take Suboxone long term and are completely happy with it though.

As far as people who have been on a low dose for a long time and getting off of it successfully, I'm sure there are some members who have done that, I just can't pull any of their names to memory at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MarbleTulip wrote:
Quick herstory: I've been on suboxone and bupe for almost 3 years now. I never thought in a million years, i would still be on it this long. I did a rapid, painful detox in Jan 2010, switching to just bupe and going down from 14mg, 7mg, then to 2mg when I found out I was pregnant. I stayed at 2mg for a while.
Somehow with dental surgey a few months ago, I am back on to 4mg steady. My doc wants me to get off, but I honestly cannot. Why does this last 4mg seem to be the hardest???

I am a Mama to 4 and I just don't have the time, nor the patience to "not feel good" I just have too much going on. I haven't had any counseling, just no time, even though it is a requirement with my doc. She let's me slide.

I feel like I use the bupe as an anti-depressent and want to stay on 4mg as a maintenance drug. My doc says it's okay as long as I come in monthly and my UAs are clean.

I want to be off it just so I don't have to take a drug and I'm still breastfeeding, but also I'm not sure if I trust myself either! I recently broke my toe and my bupe doc said when you go to urgent care and they tell you "here is a script for percs, what are you going to say?" She was kind of joking, but my first thought was "Ohhhh that would be nice".
Sorry for the ramble, I guess I just need some support or reassurance from people who have been on a low dose for a long time and finally succeeded in going down to zero. And if anyone is happy and content on bupe or subox for maintenance.
Thanks for listening! :)

From what you wrote, I just don't see that you are ready to get off Suboxone right now. I'm a busy mom too, and even if you taper slowly, it still takes quite a bit out of you. You have to be super dedicated and you have to really want to do it, otherwise you will just take extra here and there and throw yourself off. Then, you will fell bad/guilty and get into a negative mindset of being 'unable' to do it. If I were you, I'd ask myself if I want to be very sick for a good few weeks and then tired for a while after that. If not, then you don't want to jump. As a mom of four, I seriously doubt you have to room in your life to jump off 4 mg Suboxone. Then, ask yourself if you want to commit yourself to tapering for the next six months or so and doing it very slowly. If you don't see yourself being religious about it, I'd just continue on, maybe get some counseling and work harder on your recovery, and see how you feel in the future about it. Getting off Suboxone is no small feat and there's really no easy outs.

The last 4 mg are absolutely the hardest. In fact, the last 2 mg are the hardest and for me the last 1 mg has been the hardest of all. So, maybe you can change your focus from getting off Sub to getting simply lower on your dose and that's all. If you think that you will most likely want to stop Sub some day, maybe that would be a good middle ground for now.

Good luck!

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. It's true. I just can't believe after all this time I'm still not ready to be off. And I think yes, just having a goal to taper down to even just 3mg right now is a good goal for me at this time. I just worry about breastfeeding, because I have no plans to wean my 11-month-old anytime soon. But, she is eating more solid food now and she has been a perfectly healthy baby.
Thank you, it's so nice to hear advice and other stories from people who have been on this drug. I don't know anyone in person on suboxone or bupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This December will be three years for me on suboxone. I have zero plans for going off it. I see no reason to - for some of the reasons you suggested and some of my own. To me it's just a medication to take like others I take...no big deal. It doesn't bother me to be on suboxone, I don't feel ashamed, I don't hide it, and I don't feel the need to come off it. It's too big a risk - that's a big factor. When my husband told me his pain meds were increased (he's not an addict), my heart jumped automatically. And that's me without having used any opiates in almost three years. And with plenty of subox on board. How bad would I want it without all that sub in my system? To me, it's too risky to even try. Just like my antidepressant or or other medication that helps me....I figure if I'm better on it, then why would I discontinue it?

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.