It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Down to 12mgs!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So, if you read my intro you know that I am/was on 16mgs of suboxone a day and wrote how I was scared to go down to 1 and a half pills (12mgs) a day. I wrote how I hadn't started doing that yet, even though I told my dr I had. Well yesterday I started and took that dose today as well and Im doing really well. Yest I made the mistake of taking all 12mgs in the A.M. and got really tired and drained by dinner time. (I'm a 2x a day girl. I usually take the first 8 mgs in the am. and the 2nd 8 mgs around lunch or shortly after. So, I don't know why I took all 12mgs in the am yesterday I guess I thought I wouldn't feel anything with just half a pill in the afternoon, but it still works better for me to split the dose. I did feel better from taking the half in the afternoon. So, I did it! And very proud that Im down to 12mgs. I know it's not huge to most of you, but it is for me! I'm super proud of myself right now. Thanks for listening!

Post subject: YEA!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:56 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Congratulations!!! :lol: That's great....it takes a lot of courage to take that first step...good for you! I think this is a great step in your sobriety...there is no way an addict who is actively using would ever think of lowering the dose on their DOC....much less actually follow through with the taper!!! You should be really proud, both of the taper, and of how far you have come in yur treatment.

I'm not sure if you have seen the diagrams that show the half-life of suboxone (they are posted in a couple places on the forum...someone else may know exactly where they are, but I will look also). They were really reassuring to me when I tapered down from 6mg to 4mg, as they show how long the suboxone stays in your body and how it builds up over time.

Also, one of Dr. J's blog entries talked about using buprenorphine for pain management (before it was used for addiction), and he mentioned that the dosage given to those patients was .2mg (not 2mg, .2 (point 2))....that really shows how amazingly strong this medication really is....even in small doses.

Good luck....it sounds like you are doing great!! Keep us posted on how you feel.

E

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject: YEA!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you RTLmom! That's so great. I remember reading your intro and am very glad to hear you made the change. And you sound great, too. It's empowering to reach a goal, isn't it?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks so much, both of you! I just can't believe I actually did it. I have relapsed a couple times, and I feel I am just so ready to finally do this right and eventually get off or at least down to a much smaller maint. dose and get on with my life. I have hurt myself and my family enough. Thanks again!

Post subject: good job!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hay we all got to start some ware some time congrates. Actully that is a big thing lowering ones suboxone blood levels is harder than ppl think.
I find if I take it at lunch and, at night 2 to 3 hrs before bed im fine till lunch time and, sometimes dinner that way im not tired and groogy during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Stepping down can be stressful. I also stepped down from 16mg to 12mg on my first decrease in dosage. It wasn't bad at all, in fact, I can honestly tell you that I didn't feel any difference at all.

From there, I went down 1mg per month. Now, your doctor may be different, and I don't know what your ultimate goal is, but for me, it was (initially) to get off the suboxone, but then, when I was down to 1mg per day, I started getting some pretty strong thoughts of using again (remember, I've been an opiate abuser for 30 years) and decided that I was probably better off being on some kind of low-dose maintenance on suboxone, and my substance abuse therapist agreed, so I went to my suboxone prescriber, told him what me and my therapist had discussed and he said "ok, no problem" and wrote me a script for 60 tablets @ 2mg each. I've now been maintaining at 4mg for a few months......I'm not quite sure if it's enough though, because I still have the occasional thoughts of using, and I KNOW that when I was up around 6 or 8 mg I had ZERO thoughts of using, so I may bump it up a notch.....my therapist agrees.......

hmmmm, sort of got off on a tangent there, sorry :lol:

Anyway, congrats on the taper! Please keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the replies, Im actually already down to 8mgs! yes, I did it fast, but you know what? I feel better on 8mgs than I did on 16 or 12! I'm much less tired all the time, and feel great! I know a lot of it has to do with this forum too! Im so glad I found this site. Thanks Dr. J and everyone here. I don't have insurance so I haven't been able to afford counseling but this site is def. therapeutic for me!