It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosing without a Doctor
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello All,

I'm new here, and this is my first post. I hope this isn't rambling, but first I want to give you some insight as to SWIM's story. SWIM has been using opiates recreationally for 3 or 4 years, as availability and finances allowed, but nothing close to addiction. SWIM's ex, who SWIM lived with for six years, became heavily addicted. SWIM tried her hardest to be there to support him, but there are only so many times a person can spend all of your rent money, lie about shooting up, and have a general love of a drug more than their fiance before you have to call it quits. That was 15 months ago. About 8 or 9 months ago, SWIM picked up a second job as a cocktail server. It was great at first. SWIM made good money, cash nightly. More importantly, though, everyone there had pills. Like, everyone. So, there SWIM was with an extra stream of cash coming in and a roxy to buy every time SWIM had accumulated $25 in tips. SWIM was initially just doing them at work on the weekends. Now it seems like it's every day. Happy? Let's get some pills to celebrate. Sad? Let's get some pills to feel better. At work? Gotta have pills to motivate. Off work? Gotta have pills to relax. SWIM has to come to the realization that this has GOT TO STOP. SWIM is snorting a minimum of three 30's at a time, generally in the evenings, between 6 and 9pm. Usually getting 2 or 3 more for later to get high again any time between 12 and 3am. This is 5-7 nights per week. SWIM never takes anything during the day, at the office. SWIM has made a couple feeble attempts over the last few weeks to stop. Surprisingly, withdrawals have not been too much of an issue. Motivation and energy are obviously affected (but seem to be evened out a bit by the hopefulness and excitement that come with starting to quit). SWIM starts to have diarrhea between 36 and 72 hours from last dose, but SWIM can handle that; it just sucks.
What kills SWIM is the psychological cravings. And, what's more, SWIM absolutely cannot afford to quit that job right now. So, imagine this (for those of you who have stopped a time or two). SWIM keeps getting a few days in, and going to a place where SWIM has cash in hand and 3 people asking SWIM if she needs anything. For 9 hours. It's more temptation than SWIM can take. SWIM has to have that job, but SWIM keeps spending most of the money she makes, anyway, and then she's back to square one. SWIM CANNOT afford this habit any longer.
I have heard from some of my friends in similar situations about suboxone. Before you tell me that SWIM should go to a doctor, I KNOW. She can't wait to go to a doctor. Her health insurance is not current and she has to wait for open enrollment. SWIM managed to find 6 packages of 8mg strips. They are hard to come by on the streets and way expensive (but, of course, far less expensive than the roxys).
SWIM is 48 hours sober. Again, no WD symptoms, but the cravings will come at night and then work will come during the weekend. SWIM has heard that cutting the strips into 4 and just taking a quarter will suffice to make you feel great and prevent you from getting high. SWIM would take one strip a day, then taper down and buy more, even at the crazy street prices if that would help and be the right thing to do. The problem is, subs are scarce as far as buying them without a prescription. Do you think that a quarter of a strip every 24 to 48 hours will hold SWIM over so these will last a couple of weeks? Or should SWIM be taking half or even a whole one and just hope and pray and try to get more by the time they run out. She is very, very committed to beating this, so just a little help from the subs would be amazing. However, SWIM is only human. Oxycodone is a helluva drug...
It is a hard road to go down when you are all alone. Any help will be so much appreciated. And, just so you know, SWIM will be going to a doctor to do this the right way in about 60 days. The thing is, she can't wait that long to get started. Suggestions? Advice? Support? Please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello onmyown and welcome,

I won't beat a dead horse about it, but I will say how important it is to get a doctor. As you said, sub is expensive on the street and hit and miss to even get. And the drugs are expensive, too. Why does she not consider paying cash for the sub for the first couple of months? Other than Dr. Junig, none of us are doctors and although we can give you our opinions on dosing, that's exactly what a doctor is for. That said, I understand that if SWIM has her mind made up to do it on her own, then there's nothing anyone can say to change it.

Ok enough said on that subject. About dosing.... Suboxone has a long half life - the mean is 37 hours. So yes, dosing could be every day to every other day. However, if she takes only 2 mg, that won't last as long as if she took a whole 8 mg strip. She could try the 2 mg every day and see if that hold the cravings at bay for 24 hours. If not, perhaps 4 mg will. The ceiling is generally accepted to be at or around 4 mg. At the ceiling, the opiate receptors are saturated. But to fully address all cravings, the opiate receptors need to STAY saturated all the time. That's where individual dosing comes in and dosing that is comfortably above the ceiling. So it's possible that 2 or 4 mg may help, it might not get rid of all of her cravings.

If she really wants the sub to help, it's my opinion that she needs to take a high enough dose to really take care of ALL of the cravings. Otherwise why take it at all if she still will end up fighting even some cravings?

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please just ask.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: 18
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:47 am 
good,thanks very much!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Desire
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like sub is what you need and may be working for you. Remember the ceiling level of suboxone once your receptors are saturated is 4mg.

Even if you have to wait 60 days for insurance......most sub doctors do not take insurance. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true. I live in a major city and there are 28 doctors that can prescribe suboxone but only two that take insurance. This is crazy but if you can find a doctor the initial fee may be high but once you get a script you can get suboxone at a pharmacy for about $8 for a 8mg pill.

If you wait for insurance just know that those doctor's usually have a waiting list and they can only have 100 patients at a time. Most of the bigger pharmacies CVS, Walgreens and Rite-Aid will let you get your script a week at a time versus the whole month.

I hope this information helps you. Good Luck

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know this is probably a dumb question but can someone please tell me what SWIM. means? Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it's just what the OP is using as someone's pseudonym.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: What "SWIM" means...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy_Ann wrote:
I know this is probably a dumb question but can someone please tell me what SWIM. means? Thanks in advance!

[font=Verdana]
Not a stupid question at all.

SWIM is an acronym for "Someone Who Isn't Me"...

Hope this helps!
:-)[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Or "someone who I met"

BTW I believe this forum is safe and anonymous. I don't think it's even on the radar of law enforcement (like maybe blulight is). So it's OK to say me or I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks everyone, I am trying to learn all this shorthand so I can speak the internet language, haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't worry, it took me forever to figure out who in the hell SWIM was too!!! You're not alone, KWIM!! (KWIM--Know What I Mean??) :D