It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosing times?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all, I just started suboxone today. Took 6 mg at like 5 pm. MY question is this.
I know when I wake up to take my 4 mg's(even tho the dr put me on 8mg twice a day).
So when should I take the other 4 mg's? Like 3pm 5pm or before bed?

Thanks and glad to see this forum. I think we all have alot to say with so one to say it to. So this is a great discovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi betterfomyson -

First off, let me say that I am no doctor.

So, I can tell you what many of us here have determined, but not everyone - everyone is different (chronic pain, etc.)

If possible, most of us take our suboxone sublingually - with some type of method for maximal absorption - once a day. I started out 3 x a day.

After spending some time researching buprenorphine, I found out it has a 37 hour half life. So, multiple times a day - seems less important than your comfort. Chronic Pain patients often dose multiple times a day to 'top off.'

Others of us who are trying to break bad habits, and thinking - have moved to once a day - and get on with our lives. The notion with this, is to break our psychological hold on ourselves for looking for pills or a fix every 4 hours.

It was NOT easy for me, so that told me that I really needed to break my psychological cycle. I did not feel better or worse, I just found my brain looking for 'something' every evening - and by breaking the mold with suboxone's long half life, I have been able to break that thinking cycle.

Again, I don't think there is a one size fits all. If you are recovering from dependency, like me - no underlying condition - I would suggest trying once a day and see if you find some freedom. If you have Chronic Pain, I would stick with your doctor's schedule.

How's that for wishy / washy? Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:38 pm 
Hi Better.. and welcome to the forum. Your first day on Suboxone!! Awesome!
As far as your dosing schedule question. I agree with Lathedude. For most of us opiate addicts, dosing once per day is best. There are some, however, who do better with multiple doses per day. Those are usually the chronic pain patients who need to dose 3-4 times per day to get optimal pain relief.
If you are strictly on Suboxone for opiate addiction and not for pain, I really agree that it's better to dose once per day. This is just your first day on the medication though.....so a lot of doctors allow some leeway. The first few days are kind of a time to allow the medication to get into your system, build up a steady blood level and adjust to the medication, if you will. That being the case, breaking up doses into several times a day can be pretty common at first. After you've been on Sub for several days and determined an appropriate dose with the help of your doctor, you should be able to take that dose all at once, one time per day and be done with it. Based upon the science of this medication, there is absolutely no reason to take it more often than that and in fact, I believe there was a study that indicated it could even be taken as infrequently as every other day with no real impact to the patient. Interesting, huh?
I know there are doctors who prescribe multiple doses per day (mine does) but it makes no real sense to me based upon how the medicine works. The other thing, as Lathedude talked about, is the psychological side of it. We really do need to get out of the habit of taking something several times a day. It's not easy....but worth it, to break that habit. It's just one of the many aspects of getting better.
For now, don't sweat it too much. You're early in this and just need time to settle in. Congrats for getting help. I hope you'll be back to let us know you got our replies and to share more of your story.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:10 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for your replies, they are greatly appreciated!

Now im having trouble sleeping. I was up all night last night! I wasnt miserable I just couldnt quite fall asleep. It was strange I found myself almost dreaming but knew I wasnt asleep! Weird. Then today I tried to take a nap. Nope wasnt happening. Regardless I am thankful of the sub and what its done for me. I am not bitching, just hoping I can get some sleep tonight. I thought about hitting the mary j to see if that would help but im already a little shaky and will use this as a last resort. Thinkin that it will backfire anyhow.

Will this subside? I hope so because I have a physically demanding job that wont take it easy on me whether I sleep or not.

I dont want any prescription sleep aids as i feel I am on enough as it is.

Thanks again and I hope you guys and girls have some positive words for me before the sun sets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In the beginning (both times I got on sub) I had a hard time sleeping for about a week. It subsides and is even better if you get your dose to once per day, mornings. If you take it too close to bed it can cause the sleep problem you are describing.

For me with the dosing schedule, the first time around I always took the sub twice per day. After a while, if my doses weren't equal such as 8mg and 4mg then I would take the larger dose in the evening because it would make me just a bit tired. For a lot of people it will keep them awake even after a short period of sleepiness. I have pain issues so I am currently taking mine 2x per day and if I have pain, I will take an extra dose in the afternoon. This way I can try to stay on as low a dose as possible and miss the afternoon dose if I don't need it.

It is HIGHLY recommended if you aren't a chronic pain patient to take sub once per day but I also agree you are adjusting the first week or so and you can take it multiple times. By the second week you should be able to get it down to once per day.

Congratulations on starting suboxone. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how well it works!

Cherie