It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Am new at this and this is my second time to post! I was wondering if it is better to dose 1 time a day or 2. My doctor says 2 but every thing I read says to dose 1 time a day. Any suggestions will be good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi james -

If someone is taking suboxone for addiction purposes only (not for pain) and is dosing comfortably above the ceiling, then once a day is ideal. The half life on average is 37 hours so dosing only once per day is sufficient. Besides, it's better to take it once (like in the am) and forget about it. We addicts have a tendency to want to take something when our day goes shitty or when we feel we need a pick me up or ...something to take. Once daily dosing helps us to extinguish this bad habit. We have to learn to deal with life's normal ups and downs without popping some kind of pill and this helps us to do that.

That said, it's true that some doctors do have their patients dosing twice a day. But to be honest, I don't know what their reasoning is behind that.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your responce! I can see where taking it 1 time a day will help me break that habit. So what do u mean by ceiliing effect?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone is a partial agonist, as compared to "regular" pain pills which are full agonists. Suboxone then has what's known as the "ceiling effect", which is generally accepted to be at or around 4 mg. At that level, the opiates receptors should be saturated. A person on sub maintenance is then usually at a dose above the ceiling which would then KEEP the receptors saturated. The ceiling effect is the point at which once there, additional dosing doesn't achieve any additional effects - such as "feeling" the dose or even respiratory depression. This is why you won't hear of people overdosing on suboxone alone (I'm not referring to opiate-naive people) - only when combined with other respiratory depressants like benzos.

I hope this makes sense. I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well this morning. So if anyone wants to jump in and clarify what I'm saying, go for it.

And james if you have questions about this or need more clarification, just ask.

Post subject: Dosing Once a Day...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi james -

If someone is taking suboxone for addiction purposes only (not for pain) and is dosing comfortably above the ceiling, then once a day is ideal. The half life on average is 37 hours so dosing only once per day is sufficient. Besides, it's better to take it once (like in the am) and forget about it. We addicts have a tendency to want to take something when our day goes shitty or when we feel we need a pick me up or ...something to take. Once daily dosing helps us to extinguish this bad habit. We have to learn to deal with life's normal ups and downs without popping some kind of pill and this helps us to do that.
<snip>

Thanks, Hat, for sharing this bit of info!
After reading this post and considering what you've written,
I totally agree with you on this.
-ex-

Post subject: dosing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for all the info, it does make sense to me what u said. I started out taking 12mg of suboxone and felt good. now my doctor has me taking 10mg a day. he tells me to take a half in the morning, a quarter in the middle of the day, and another half at night. so i now i am thinkin about taking the advice of others and taking it once a day. i just have a hard time reducing my mg. like i said i started on 12mg now he wants to me to try to go down to 8mg. is it there really a big difference in the dosing or is it just my mind? when i was in active addiction i iv used a high level of roxy and daludid, my dr told me that when people iv use they have a tendency to have a hard time with cravings. i felt great on 12mg but now he wants to go down to 8mg. is that a big jump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many people can drop from 12 to 8 without any problems with withdrawals (both are comfortably above the ceiling). BUT - that doesn't mean when you drop that you won't have new issues with cravings. Dosages are very individualized when it comes to what people need to extinguish their cravings. If you follow your doctor's orders and drop your dosage, just be sure to let your doc know if any of your cravings come back. Because if they do, you'll obviously be at risk of relapse.

Post subject: Re: Dosing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:05 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jameskenneth wrote:
Thanks for your responce! I can see where taking it 1 time a day will help me break that habit. So what do u mean by ceiliing effect?
hi! I am new here too, but not to suboxone. I have been on it for over two years and have always had the same question. I would love to dose once daily, of course to break the cycle, my doctor says to dose twice. I tried dosing once, didn't work. I also have read that taking over 4 mg is a waste. That didn't work for me either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi pugmommy and welcome to the forum.

What happened what you tried to dose once daily? What dose are you on? Do you take it for pain, too? When it comes to dosing, there are individual differences, like what a person's opiate tolerance is and what they need to address their cravings. One person might need 6 mg, another might need AND FEEL BETTER on 16 mg. It's really a matter of what that person needs and feels best on. Often a person does feel best on the lowest possible dose that addresses their cravings and withdrawals, without going too low.

Try not to compare your dose to that of others. We're all different - including - ESPECIALLY - our body chemistry. Yes, the ceiling is AROUND 4 mg, but it's not written in stone and it will vary according to each individual.

If your doctor insists on dosing twice per day then maybe you could set a specific time each day for you to take that second dose. At least that way you're not taking it whenever you, say, get upset and want to take "something" to make you feel better. Perhaps that will help you break that habit. Just a thought.