It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosing question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've learned so much reading all or you're posts! Wish I had found you all years ago.Anyhow I was wondering what everyone thinks is a high/low dose of sub. I'm on 8 mg. daily. my sub doc says that's a very low dose.I was reading some of the posts and posters say 6 mg is a high dose mostly posts by ironic ...I want to start tapering down but my doc wants me to wait a bit. I truly thought 8 was a small dose..what do you all think?Thank you. Dee

Post subject: Re: Dosing question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dromano1166 wrote:
I've learned so much reading all or you're posts! Wish I had found you all years ago.Anyhow I was wondering what everyone thinks is a high/low dose of sub. I'm on 8 mg. daily. my sub doc says that's a very low dose.I was reading some of the posts and posters say 6 mg is a high dose mostly posts by ironic ...I want to start tapering down but my doc wants me to wait a bit. I truly thought 8 was a small dose..what do you all think?Thank you. Dee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have only been on subs for 26 days, and I started at 8mg, and have tapered down to 3mg/day to avoid all of the side effects that I was getting at higher doses. Even at just 3mg, I find that it keeps my cravings away and helps me with my pain, depression and anxiety. But I'm sure it depends on the person, your previous drug used, length of time you used, your metabolism, and probably a bunch of other factors too. I am not tapering, but I think most people who aren't tapering are on a higher dose than me. It is very individual. What is good for one person may not be good for another. My doctor told me to find the dose that works for me and we will work from there. Good luck with your taper, if you decide to do that. Hope your doctor will be supportive of whatever you choose.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion, 8 mg is about an average dose, when it comes to sub maintenance. I say that because it's solidly above the ceiling (~4 mg), but not excessively so. And it's low enough that it's not too far to go to start a taper.

To answer your question...No, I would disagree with your doctor and say, 8 mg is not a "very low dose".

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I recently saw my doctor this week and spoke about dropping my dose to 8mg so I can start tapering slower. Currently I am on 16mgs and I commonly feel like I can skip a day or so without taking it. I thought that being on 8mg would be a good idea for a while before I decided to taper dropping down weekly from 16mgs to 12 to 8 to 6 to 4 to 2 to 1mg.

The reason why doctors say taking anything less than 12mgs isn't safe because the receptors in your brain won't be fully occupied for 24 hours. It sounds more like a precaution to me and also depends how each person reacts differently. Either way, that is mainly why it isn't 'safe' because of the science behind it and the properties of the drug. Sure anyone can experiment with their doses to see what makes you feel well enough to get by. As my doctor said, the most common dose for people to take daily is 16mgs because there is much more of a guarantee you are much less likely to relapse. Obviously I am not a doctor and clearly have not done any studies regarding suboxone, but because the people who specialize in suboxone and have research behind their reasoning on what is a 'safe' dose I feel much better on a dose equal or greater than 12mgs.

I have insurance so I can afford to be on such a dose, so it doesn't make much sense for me to take less than what is recommended, but it is much more understandable to take a smaller dose if you can't afford it. This is ultimately a decision only you can make, so once you evaluate the pros and cons you can make up your mind. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman, what you're saying about 16 mgs being a "safe" dose actually applies to pretty much anything that's comfortably above the ceiling. A person can be on 8 mg and still be sufficiently blocking other opiates. Yes, a higher dose will block more opiates for longer. The person on 16 mg would basically have to try harder than the person on 8 mg to get high during a relapse.

I just wanted to add that. I hope you don't mind.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman wrote:
I have insurance so I can afford to be on such a dose, so it doesn't make much sense for me to take less than what is recommended, but it is much more understandable to take a smaller dose if you can't afford it. This is ultimately a decision only you can make, so once you evaluate the pros and cons you can make up your mind. Good luck.

That's true for me here in my country as well. We pay 4$ a day regardless of what dose we are on. But I still find some benefits from lower doses. Namely less side-effects. Being able to manage on a lower dose also means tapering shouldn't be as much of an ordeal.

I don't really believe in the idea of "this is a high dose, this is a low dose". I know only what is a high dose for ME at this point in my life.

When I went on Subutex when I was 19 (nearly 10 years ago), my tolerance was so low that 2mg was a HIGH dose. I actually started out on 4mg and was too stoned to drive (not that it ever stopped me)! Over the next 10 years of relapses and methadone and Suboxone, my tolerance went up and now 16mg is a high dose, and 6mg is a low dose.

At 12mg I'm 'just' over my ceiling. I'm now on 8mg, and I can tell that I'm under my ceiling because I am getting more cravings since I reduced from 10mg. Obviously there are some receptors there wanting a "bit more of something".

So it depends SO much on each individual person. An ultra-rapid metaboliser of buprenorphine may even need 32mg JUST to get 24 hours over the ceiling.