It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosing and Mood Swings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

First of all, I started sub about 2 weeks ago. I had a habit of 240mg of codeine a day, some oxys before that, and a little dope on the side (within a span of 2-3 years). I am currently taking 1.6mg first thing in the morning (usually 8am). I feel GREAT in the morning but I do feel pretty dopey/lethargic. By 2:00 I'm definitely not withdrawing but I feel pretty crappy. My mood is just super dull and I my emotions are pretty flat. Around 4 in the morning I get hot/chills/sweaty in bed. I already feel my dosage is pretty high because of how tired it is making me right after I take it.

The problem is, that it does not last very long. Should I be splitting my dose in two daily doses instead of one? Should I do .8mg in the morning and .8mg in the afternoon? I just want to be in a good/cheerful mood all day but there is no way that is happening at my current dosing pattern.

I guess I need someone with experience with low dosing since I know the half-life is much shorter in the dosages I am taking. All advice is welcome.

Thank you. :)

Post subject: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Seeing with eyes, I would think that is alot of subs at one time. I have never taken a whole sub before I'm scared it would be to strong. My doctor gives me 16 mg a day but I usually take 4 in morning,4 around 1ish and 4 in the evening. But everyone is different. I take more when I'm hurting alot and it helps. I had cut back some but had to increase alittle for pain. I know here they say take whole dose in the morning or night. I think you should try it different ways and see how it works best for you and your body. The good things is if it does not help one way you can always take alittle more.
I'm sure after you explore with them alittle you can find the dose that suits you best. IMO
Good Luck and I hope you can get comfy with your dose
Mel :wink:

Oh and night sweats for sure I'm with you on that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

1.6mg is alot? i thought most people were taking 4mg or more. Maybe I need to lower my dose...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

All seeing eyes SORRY>>>> I misunderstood you I'm thinking 16mg not 1.6 mg That is a BIG difference. That is a small dose for just starting on subs. How many mg did you start with?
Sorry for the mistake
I can feel when I need another dose in the afternoon I get tired also. But I would say that I dont think it would hurt to split it up so it last longer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Did you say you were on 1.6mg? Later you mention taking 8mg in the am and 8 in the pm? I am confused about your dosage. If you are indeed on 16 mg. you should take 8 in the morning...break it in half if it is the pill and put one half on one side under your tongue and the other half on the other side. Then in the afternoon ..a good time is around 3-4pm take the other 8.mg. You will most likely feel great doing it this way. ....16mg. at one time is too much and is giving you these shitty symptoms. I have done it this way and it worked great for me...no side effects..nothing......hope it goes well with you and good luck in your beginning a new way of living...........Judy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:01 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

slipper wrote:
Did you say you were on 1.6mg? Later you mention taking 8mg in the am and 8 in the pm? I am confused about your dosage. If you are indeed on 16 mg. you should take 8 in the morning...break it in half if it is the pill and put one half on one side under your tongue and the other half on the other side. Then in the afternoon ..a good time is around 3-4pm take the other 8.mg. You will most likely feel great doing it this way. ....16mg. at one time is too much and is giving you these shitty symptoms. I have done it this way and it worked great for me...no side effects..nothing......hope it goes well with you and good luck in your beginning a new way of living...........Judy

Oh, and if you really are on 1.6mg???? then i can not imagine a dr. giving you that low of a dose to start on. You need much more than that...You are still in withdrawal and that is probably why you feel bad! You should at least be on 4mg if not higher. ...then the sub could really work like it is suppose to. ...............Judy

Post subject: for the
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

for the record, do you mind starting over....some people are confused and others don't have a brain. we need to know the correct info so we can give you quality advice. ....are you really on 1.6 mg NOT 16mg????

Post subject: Re: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

meltalk wrote:
Seeing with eyes, I would think that is alot of subs at one time. I have never taken a whole sub before I'm scared it would be to strong. My doctor gives me 16 mg a day but I usually take 4 in morning,4 around 1ish and 4 in the evening. But everyone is different. I take more when I'm hurting alot and it helps. I had cut back some but had to increase alittle for pain. I know here they say take whole dose in the morning or night. I think you should try it different ways and see how it works best for you and your body. The good things is if it does not help one way you can always take alittle more.
I'm sure after you explore with them alittle you can find the dose that suits you best. IMO
Good Luck and I hope you can get comfy with your dose

Oh and night sweats for sure I'm with you on that one

with the ceiling limit, and all the information JJ and this forum provides- How could OR why would u be scared to take an 8mg tablet @once ..especially when you consume 12mg in a 24hr period :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those who are not dosing all at once in the am (and who are NOT taking sub for pain): It's best to strive for once daily dosing in order to get out of our addictive habits of taking pills throughout the day. People who are on 12 or 16 mg a day just take two doses, one right after the other in the am and are set for the day. Take it once and forget about it. That's the recommended dosing. Some other countries actually only dose every OTHER day.

If you are still dosing later in the day (or more!), how do you pick when to take it? Do you wait until you "feel" like you need it? Then you're feeding the stimulus-reward cycle in your brain. It's not extinguishing the addictive behavior....

**All Seeing Eye: I know from other posts that you're on 1.6 mg. And I understand why and won't go through all that with you. At that low of a dose, yes, you can split it into two doses. It just doesn't have the really long half life at those really low doses. That's why you're really withdrawals so early in the morning. It's one of the times that twice daily dosing is recommended.

Also, you're likely feeling so "doped up" BECAUSE you're at such a low dose. It's ACTING like a full agonist. If you were at a higher dose with the receptors saturated with no ups and downs, you would likely be more stable. But again, I understand why you don't want to do that. Unfortunately, it's something that you'll probably just have to get used to - in my non-medical opinion.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So you're wanting to manipulate your dosing schedule so you're happy all the time, did I hear that right?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

ok i am not taking 8mg twice a day, i don't know where that came from. I said, "should i change my dosing schedule to .8 mgs, twice a day". I am currently taking a total of 1.6mg every morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:41 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

and i don't want to be "happy" all the time. I just don't want to be manic in the mornings and depressed in the evenings, you catch my drift? I want to feel stable. not high, then low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As I said, with that low dose, you probably won't be able to get away from the lows and highs. If you haven't adjusted to that dose yet, you may not. That's what we mean by it "acts like" a full agonist at low doses - especially for someone with low tolerances.

But, YES, you may feel better if you split your doses. For people tapering down and off, Dr. J recommends splitting it into two daily doses.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahh I see. Sorry I misconstrued.

Buprenorphine definitely can feel speedy, especially early after dosing. So if you're feeling your dose early in the morning, but it fades away in the evening, then a dose split should assist.

Just be aware that if you halve your dose in the morning, you will feel less of the effect of the Suboxone you speak of. Rather it will spread the effect more evenly throughout the day. This sounds like a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i dropped to 1.2 mg this morning. I will see how my morning goes and maybe redose another .4 in the afternoon if I need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:31 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

well that didn't go well. I had to take another .4mg right when I came home from class around noon. It seems to wear off by 5 or 6 and I'm definitely hurtin a bit when I wake up. Maybe I do need to increase my dose. I just don't want to look all stoned and high like i do when I raise my dose.

Guess that's what coffee is for...speaking of coffee, does anyone else experience a stronger feeling? I feel like it speeds up my metabolism and the bupe leaves my system faster. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have read many posts where people who had tapered to low doses or had jumped off that have problems with coffee or all caffeine for that matter. Our bodies are used to high doses of opiates, take that away and add caffeine and it feels like your on speed. Most recommendations I've read suggest not drinking any caffeine. It can also increase anxiety.

Maybe you could try taking 1mg in the am and 1mg in the afternoon. Splitting it up should help with the dopey feeling. I do not think you will be able to completely avoid it because low doses of sub act like full agonists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:12 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

gahhhh i've been on this shitty drug for over a month now and I still haven't stabilized!!! i'm falling asleep during the day and am so lethargic I'm useless If i take my normal dose. If i take less and I get extremely irritable. if i take more, I look higher than I would if I smoked a blunt of bud with hash in it......

i'm about to start tapering and get off this shit. I'm just going to get on antianxiety meds. Fuck this crappy anti-psychotic opiate.

:twisted: