It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has any one had their dose go up and down and back up over the years?

My dose has recently went up. My doctor told me that postpartum depression caused some of the WD I was going experiencing. I have been through a 9 month inpatient treatment program and work a 12 step program. I am just feeling very discouraged at all the progress I had made though out the years to have to start over. I was jut wondering if any one else has had this happen.

Last edited by smnell on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions? (I'm not trying to pry). What else are you doing for your recovery? I saw you mentioned suboxone and your doctor visits and I think you mentioned finishing your treatment a while back; but what are you currently doing besides suboxone? I think most on this forum would agree that you need a long term recovery plan. You should be consistently attending 12 step meetings or some sort of ongoing therapy. IMO the success rate for long term sobriety is rare when suboxone is your only means of recovery. When suboxone is our only tool for recovery we are going to instantly want to increase when dealing with hard times. We need to learn coping skills for dealing with life on life's terms instead of taking more pills. I feel it would be beneficial to you to find a dose that works and stick to it. With all the up and down with your suboxone dose you are not allowing yourself to learn new coping skills. These are just my opinions as one suboxone patient to another, I am not a doctor nor an expert on suboxone or addiction. I've had plenty of rough times while on suboxone, but those difficult times have been very helpful for my long term success. Those tough times can be great learning experiences for learning to cope without taking more meds or popping a pill. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with what Smoothy said about coping skills. I did notice that you take part in NA/AA - that's good. Therapy is a terrific adjunct to sub treatment, again, like Smoothy said, to learn new coping skills. I personally have not had my dose go up and down, but I know there are others here that have. How long have you been on sub?...What dose are you on...what were you on? Do you dose more than once daily? Sub has a mean half-life of 37 hours, so dosing once per day (or even every other day) is usually warranted, unless dosing for pain. Sometimes jumping around with one's dose can actually prevent one from stabilizing and moving forward. Of course if you were on the wrong dose, then switching would be beneficial for you. Maybe you and your doc just had trouble finding the dose that YOU need.

Don't be too hard on yourself for the ups and downs. It's really not that uncommon. Once you find the right dose just stick with it and you should be fine. If you can offer some additional info about your dose and treatment length, maybe we can give you some better help.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.