It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you're right, junkie; it is a bit odd, what your doctor is saying. The thing that struck me was him talking about your dosing jumping around, yet he wants to change it AGAIN and not even monitor you monthly. Usually when doctors change a medication's dose they want to monitor that person a bit more closely. Of course I can't explain why your doctor is all over the place. How long have you been seeing him? (Just curious.) I'd also be curious to know why he wants you dosing three times a day. Do you plan on just continuing your once-daily dosing and will you ask him about that? Again, I'm just curious.

I hope switching to 6 mg helps that sexual side effect for you. It's a nice small drop, so hopefully you will be OK. Good luck and let us know what happens next.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
How long have you been seeing him?

I started taking suboxone in December 2008. He started me at 16mg. Here's the history:

12/08 = 16mg
01/09 = 12mg
02/09 = 11mg
03/09 = 10mg
04/09 = 9mg
05/09 = 8mg
06/09 = 7mg
07/09 = 6mg
08/09 = 6mg
09/09 = 5mg
10/09 = 4mg
11/09 = 3mg
12/09 = 2mg
01/10 = 1mg
02/10 = .5mg

At that point I came pretty close to relapsing, and I called his office. He told me to come right in and we went immediately back up to 4mg, where I stayed until April, when I told him I still didn't feel right and that I'd like to return to a higher dose. I suggested 8mg and said OK and I have been on 8mg since then, and doing just fine at that dose, other than the sexual side effects, so I think I DO want to reduce to 6mg anyway.

hatmaker510 wrote:
I'd also be curious to know why he wants you dosing three times a day. Do you plan on just continuing your once-daily dosing and will you ask him about that? Again, I'm just curious.

He's always advocated dosing multiple times throughout the day. Either once in the morning and once at night or three times per day, depending on the dose. I saw a post by Dr. Junig and other posts suggesting that this tends to reinforce addict behavior and I agree with that, so I decided to start taking in all just once a day, but I didn't tell my doctor I was doing this, because frankly, I don't think it makes that much difference in the context of me staying clean on this medication and I don't want to be arguing with my doctor.

hatmaker510 wrote:
I hope switching to 6 mg helps that sexual side effect for you. It's a nice small drop, so hopefully you will be OK. Good luck and let us know what happens next.

I think I'll probably be fine at 6mg. I remember being on 6mg back in July of 2009, because that was when I had my last liver biopsy and I remember my HepC doctor telling me that most people who have HepC and are on opiate replacement therapy are encouraged to stay on opiate replacement therapy. It is at this point that my thinking started to change about suboxone, and I began considering staying on it indefinitely, but I guess I wanted to try getting off anyway, and I did, but it didn't go so well.

In my next appointment with him, I'm going to just put all of my cards on the table and come right out and ask him if he supports my intention to stay on suboxone indefinitely. I need to iron this out with him one way or the other. For all I know, he may just be of the mind-set that the lowest effective dose is best. Given the fact that I need to have a liver biopsy every couple of years and that I have to stop taking the subs for a few days prior to that procedure so that the pain management meds will work for me, IF this is his point of view, I suppose it makes sense, but I am going to have this discussion with him and make absolutely sure that he and I are shooting for the same goal here, otherwise, I may start looking for a new doctor. There are PLENTY of sub doctors around here who will be happy to put me on 16mg and keep me there forever if I wanted to do that (which I don't, of course, but you know what I mean)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 am 
Hi Junkie, hope you are well. I seem to remember you mentionning in various threads that the optimum dose for you was 6mg. I started on the forum when you had decided not to taper below 1mg. A couple of times recently some of my older threads came up for whatever reason, and it was interesting to look back at what I was thinking/feeling weeks or months ago. I think if you look back at some of your older posts replying to people who had dosage or sexual issues you stated how well 6mg was working for you.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that you know what is best for you, you have a lot of experience, you know yourself and you have really thought things through. I know you respect your docs, but I'm confident that you will make the best decisions for yourself.
Thanks for being here, your insights are always helpful to the rest of us.
Take care,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, Lilly. I've begun the taper down to 6mg. I was at 8mg and staring a couple of days ago, I started taking 7mg. I have not noticed anything different at all.