It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know this question may be for my doc, but most of you guys on here are pretty knowledgeable so... I started sub in mid jan at 2 8mg strips a day ( maybe that was a high dose for solely a percocet user.. about 120 mg but anywho) it took awhile for my sub to level off where i finally felt no effects- energy buzz, happy feeling ect.. now i just feel normal and have been for a little while. Does it sound like i am ready to taper down a bit, i haven't had any cravings, just curious what others did when their sub leveled off if you stayed that way for awhile or started your taper? i don't want to taper down too soon than relapse or feel too off from going down, any opinions appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey honeybee! Whether you are ready to taper depends a lot on how you're feeling within yourself. There is no rule to say "once you stabilise you should begin to reduce".

I guess it depends a lot on who you are as a person, on your addiction history and your recovery history, how prone you are to relapse, where you are at in your life, how much you are still associated with your old addictive life (using friends etc), what you are doing for your recovery NOW ... a lot of things.

For me personally, I'm not going to go off Suboxone until I KNOW I am capable of handling every craving I have on my own. In order to know that, I reduced my Suboxone from 12mg to 8mg to a level where I could start experiencing some cravings again, and so I could learn to deal with them while the Sub was there as a safety net.

I gotta say that this is just a concept I'm applying to my recovery. Some people might consider it to be dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well i dont have much of an addiction history, this was my first year with percocet on a regular basis and got hooked, before this never had withdrawls, never was hooked on any other drugs, never really used any other drugs, experimented, had a few hangovers but never got into opiates before, long story short got into a car wreck was on percs, got pregnant had a very rough painful pregnancy, had baby and got back on percs full time daily, until then scripts started running short, went from 2 a day to ten a day, wnet from perc 5 to perc 10 and ten -12 of the the perc 10s a day. never had to really "recover" from anything. since i got pregnant i pretty much was away from any party lifestyle anyway.. so i guess i need to ask myself if i am ready to taper , will i be able to handle cravings, will i be ok if i start to have back pain again ect... so thank you for the advice, at least someone replied lol

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The main thing is, I think, that while we are on Subs we have to address the things that led us to using drugs addictively. Most people out there who are prescribed opioids for pain don't end up taking more than they're prescribed. They have the self-restraint to keep to their limits, or they have no desire to abuse them.

IMO, we should spend the time on Sub working on our character traits that can lead us into relapse. Delaying gratification, responsibility, self-control ... plus of course the things we felt opioids were medicating - emotional / physical pain, mental illness issues etc.

Only once we've addressed those things that allowed us to become addicted in the first place are we ready to live without Sub IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

2 tear ... i definietely agree... thats why i ended up in the sub program because obviously there is addictive issues at hand if i was taking way more than prescribed, i am by far not nieve to that. I do not think i am ready to live without sub , but more so questioning if i am ready to taper a little. In the beginning before my sub leveled off i wasn't really getting the most of it (meaning it seemed to exchange one drug for another) and i'm pretty sur eit was you in another post who said, once you feel no effects of the sub thats when true recovery begins :) . This is what i am beginning to learn that sub should be used as a tool to break addictive habits, hadle my pain in a healthy way, and comfortably transition from percocet to a sober opiate free lifestyle.. but having input on here is awesome and like counslers leaves you to question the deeper root of the issue... thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did I say that ?? Hehe . IMO recovery is when we are moving forward out of our addiction, and a lot of that still happens whether we're on Sub or methadone.

But staying clean without Sub is a lot more difficult, so we have to work our recovery a lot more when we don't have the Sub safety net. And that's when people get a lot of growth in themselves and their recovery. I view being on Sub as being in training, preparing me to play for real.

If you feel you're ready to taper a little then go for it. Test yourself a little. If you can manage on a dose under your craving threshold (ie a dose where you start to get a few cravings again), it's good preparation for when you choose to live without Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

After being on sub for the first month or two, it's not necessarily the norm for people to start tapering down, per se. But what is pretty normal is for new sub patients to drop their dose to one that is the lowest dose necessary to achieve the greatest benefits - no w/d or cravings, and the least amount of side effects. There's nothing wrong with trying to get to a lower maintenance dose right now. That's what it sounds like you're talking about wanting to do. Then THAT dose could be the one that you stay at for the remainder of your treatment. It's quite common to start out at a higher dose for the first couple of months then drop down like this.

As for your recovery/remission, I agree with TJ. I look at it the same way...sub is like living with a safety net. Use that time to "practice" so that when the safety net is removed, you have the VERY best chances to succeed. And for each of us, that means our own recovery/remission is unique to our own needs (with regard to what got us here).

Good luck and keep up the good work! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

@hat thats exactly what i want to do.. you hit the nail on the head.. @ both tear and hat Thank you very much, so It seems that i should be in no rush to get off sub...just work on walking the tightrope with the safety net so when i don't i have one, and lets say the wind blows (metaphorically speaking lol) i don't fall. That being off sub isn't a walk in a park. It's something we need to work at until we are finally adjusted to a life without drugs or subs.. Thank you so much for the input. *sigh* i no longer feel like i need to rush this .. :)