It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dose Crushed Up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Friends,

So i am on my third week of treatment including subutex at a detox center. We have to go to three three hour groups a week and daily for dosing. Here they crush up the medication before giving it to everyone. Im assuming this is to deter people from spitting it out and sharing? My question is does this affect the way it works in any way? Its hard to get it all under my tongue as a powder, and ive already had two incidences where i spilled it. Once was the whole dose and it was right in front of thw nurse so they gave me a new dose. The second time i just spilled some of it and the nurse was already out of the waiting room back on the unit, so i did not say anything.

Lauren
Qom

Post subject: Re: Dose Crushed Up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:10 pm 

Hey qom :)

I've never heard of dosing ppl that way! I'm sure ur place isn't the only place, I just haven't ever heard of that. Honestly, I can see the benefits of doing that to deter ppl from pulling one over on them. But as a patient with great intentions, I could also see what a pain in the rear that could be. I'd be worried about not getting it all under my tongue.... but I worry to much lol.

I wouldn't think that by crushing it, that it would make it work any less, just may be kinda difficult to get it all under ur tongue for ppl that aren't used to doing it that way.

There's ppl that do the liquid method and it doesn't work any less for them, so I'm sure it's fine. But I do understand why you'd be a bit nervous about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats on the brave decision to change your life!!

I've been on Sub maintenance for close to eight yrs and my life has improved in ways I never thought possible before!

Regarding the crushing- I'm not certain I would've been able to handle all that powder early in treatment (as I was on a high dose of 24mg for the first couple yrs).
However, I've slowly reduced over the years. After I got below 8mg, I began saving any residue or little pieces that fell when I broke my 8mg tabs to get my reduced dose. I would then simply keep that powder and little crumbs in a seperate bottle and to use as a dose for another day.

I never had any problems doing so. It actually speeds up absorption quite a bit.

What dose are you taking? Is it possible the clinic would allow you to dose twice a day if it's simply too much powder for you?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Marie,

I am currently on 8 mg. I am thinking of discussing going up to 12 mg with my doctor. I too was on sub maintenance for years before and did very well on it. I used to be on 16 mgs before. I got divorced and moved and lost my insurance and sub doctor and was off for about a year and a halc when i relapsed on opiates.

My problem with the crushing isnt so much the amount of powder. I mean it is hard to get it all under my tongue. And they put it in these little paper cups with a ridge around the top so its impossible to get it all out. Theres always a little left in the cup. And like i said i spilled it a couple times.

I went to a detox center and was there only one day when they put me on the iop program. I have to go every day to get dosed. When i was on sub before i saw my doctor only onve a month. So im thinking i just need to find another doctor in my new state to write a script for me. I am guessing they only crush it up here to deter people from misusing or sharing it.

Laure
Qom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

despite what the official guidelines say, that stuff absorbs quick. Ask them to stay in the room with you while you absorb the tab. It only takes a few mins. If you are truly having probs with a powered form then tell a nurse to hang while you absorb it in 3-5 mins. Just don't drink anything after for another 5-10 min.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:18 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

doesn't it just need to be absorbed into your mouth? not necessarily under the tongue. Cause after it dissolves you can paint the inside of your mouth with it so it all get absorbed.

i have never heard of a sub program doing daily dosing, just methadone. that is A LOT of group therapy. How long do you have to do that? i just have to do 1 hour of counseling or n/a meeting a month.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Sister,

It is A LOT of group isnt it? I know im getting ready to go today from 9 am til noon. The program is 8 months. I do not necessarily mind going to the groups for now at least because i am not working. But i am looking for a job and that will change. I think after youre there for awhile im not sure how long exactly then u only have to do one 3 hour group per week.

Lauren
Qom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

qom wrote:
Hey Sister,

It is A LOT of group isnt it? I know im getting ready to go today from 9 am til noon. The program is 8 months. I do not necessarily mind going to the groups for now at least because i am not working. But i am looking for a job and that will change. I think after youre there for awhile im not sure how long exactly then u only have to do one 3 hour group per week.

Lauren
Qom

how was group? what do you talk about for 3 hours?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well group is supposed to start at 9 but it usually doesnt start until at least twenty after. Today it was even later. The counselor commutes to Delaware from Philly. We usually go around the room and check in. Then hell ask us a question and we all just have pretty much an open discussion.

Today we talked about how we handle or plan on handling being faced with the opportunity to use our doc. We talked about coping skills and tomorrow were going to discuss different ways to handle temptation.

Oh and we get a half hour break in between so i guess with him being late and break its technically only a little over two hours.

Lauren
Qom