It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dosage
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone...I am new here and posted my introduction yesterday. I only had one response to it, is that what happens when you are new to the forum? But then what is there really to comment about to an introduction post right?

Anyway, I don't understand how much I am taking. The RX bottle says sub sublingual 2-0.5mg tablets. My doctor has just reduced me (yesterday) to 1 and a half tabs daily, so how many milligrams am I taking per day? This may be a stupid question to most but I really am confused. I have only been on the Subox for 8 days and I can say, for sure, it really helps me with the cravings BUT it makes me want to sleep for hours and hours! Has it done that to any of you? I think, the reason I am having such an issue with the sleepiness is because I am hiding all this from my husband of 37 years. I don't want him to ask me why, all of a sudden, I am so tired all the time....Long story short is my husband is a serious drug/alcohol addict and has been all but 7 of the years we have been together. I never used pain pills until I was 53! I don't want to have this kind of life anymore and I know he will never change. I am now on the Suboxone and counseling but I can't confess to my husband until I have some counseling sessions, under my belt, because he will try to sabatoge what I am wanting to do and I need to be strong on confident in what I am doing and what direction I want to go before I can defend myself. I don't want to be with him anymore! Pretty hard to face after so many years together but I am praying I am on my way to a better, happier life....So can you tell me how many milligrams I am taking...

Thanks everyone

"D"

Post subject: Re: Dosage
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How come, so far, 14 people have viewed my message and not one of you can tell me the dosage I am taking?? I am just trying to be a part of this forum. Sorry, I am a little sensitive right now....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 pm 

Hi Dawnie and welcome to the forum! Why some people won't answer a post is a question I cannot answer. My guess is, if you look way down at the end of the page after you click on Board Index, it shows how many users/members/guests/bots, etc., are on the site at that moment. So it could just be that no regulars are logged in, only guests, and they can't post.

To answer your question, you are taking 3 milligrams of Buprenorphine daily. Add in 1.50 mg's of Naloxone and that's it. The Naloxone is supposed to discourage people from shooting up the Suboxone but it doesn't seem to work very good. Taken sublingually, it has little if no effect at all.

I too get tired from Sub. What works well for me is to take a vitamin B-12 time release pill in the morning. That's seems to lift the drowsiness quite a bit. Or just stay busy. Reading will put you to sleep so try to stay physically active if possible.

Give your body a chance to stabilize. In a few months you can decide if the dose is right for you. If you're still getting very sleepy, taper down just a little and see if that helps. I started at 24 mg's and got down to 1 mg within one year. Mostly due to the same problem you're having, being sleepy.

It's funny how this place works. Some posts get a lot of attention. Others...just a little. Stick around and keep posting. You'll make friends here. A lot of good people with a lot of Suboxone knowledge.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey there dawnie, rule already answered your question, but I'm just reading your post, and wanted to add my welcome to our forum, and add a bit too that answer. on the Suboxone packaging the first number of mgs you'll read are the number of mgs of buprenorphine(suboxone's active ingredient) in the film/ tablets & the second number (.5), is the number of mgs of the othet ingredient called naloxone, which isn't orally active, as rule said, it's there only to deter abuse. that's for the two mg packages. on the eight mg packages/ tabs, it reads 8mg/2mg, indicating that there are 8 mgs bupe and 2 mg naloxone. the naloxone is added to buprenorphine in a 4:1 ratio. so at three mgs bupe, you'd be taking .75 mgs naloxone., if my math is correct... we're so very glad to have you here Dawnie. Our stopping Suboxone section has been so busy and full lately, it's nice to see some fresh beginners joining the forum. you can learn so much here about Suboxone and members have great advice about getting your dose to a place where you are craving and withdrawal free with as few side effects as possible. getting to the proper dose is very important to get the most benefit from taking the medication. I find, like Rule 62 that if I remain active, which isn't too hard for me since I've got four active kids, and lots of active hobbies and am working full time( thanks to sub) :-) was unable to do any of those things during my active addiction, feel free to read any of my threads with my story. most are in the misc suboxone issues section and go back to Dec. of last year when I joined. anyway, got side tracked there, if I stay active, getting tired or sleepy isn't really an issue for me. I've also tapered my dose from 24 mgs down to 12 mgs, which is where I feel most comfortable, and symptom free. strangely,i didn't have this effect at 24 mgs, in the very beginning, it took that dose to keep me feeling comfortable,i guess because I inducted from a very hefty opiod habit. anyway-when I finally do sit and relax at night in my chair either reading or watching tv,I do find that I will fall asleep rather quickly, not anything like nodding, but def, going to sleep if I sit there more than half hour or so, reading especially, so give keeping busy a try if the tiredness becomes really bothersome. sometimes I'll get up and wash some dishes or fold some clothes or something, anything to get ya moving. keep posting, asking ?s and telling us about yourself. again, glad to have you here :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Dawnie :D Welcome to the forum.

I was like you with my first post - I got so pissed off that no one had replied. I ALMOST never came back.
Really glad I did though. I've had lots of help and information and support. All from people who've gone through the same thing.

But you're smarter than me...you complained after 14 views and no replies. I waited till 44 lol. I blame time-zones ha! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dawnie

I was also in a similar situation with hubby etc. Also there are many of us in your age group here. What type of program are you in? It looks to me by reading your first post that you may be doing a short detox.

Hang in & continue to post or PM any of us if you have questions that don't get answered.

Hope to see you post an update soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dawnie, welcome to the forum!! Sorry you didn't get responses to your introduction and that this thread was slow in getting responses. That happens sometimes and there's really no particular reason for it. It's not you, it's just the "flow" of the forum.

It looks like your question has already been answered, but I just wanted to stop in and say hi and welcome you to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone...sorry for my complaint, I was a little on edge. I have to say that today is the first day since starting suboxone. I almost feel like I did before I even started this stupid addiction~ One of the hard parts for me are the triggers, like first thing in the morning, when I get home from running errands and when people stop by for a visit. Isn't that stupid??? Reminds me of when I quit smoking, triggers. I really am taking only 3 milligrams, that is pretty low isn't it? My Sub doctor told me that she has a feeling I wont be on it very long. I hope it's true~ But the sleepiness was pretty good today maybe it was just a side effect....I love being here and reading everybody's posts. I am glad I came across this.....So anyway, is my dose pretty low?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You don't have to apologize for "the complaint" and being on edge. We're all recovering addicts here, we understand getting pissed off and I'd say most of us are probably fairly expert at it!! :wink:

3mg is not really a big dose. Then again, your dose should depend on your habit. For someone coming off a large heroin habit, they may need 16mg. For someone coming off a fair pain pill habit, they may get by with as little as 2 - 3mg or up to 8-12mg?

If 3mg is keeping your cravings at bay and that 3mg is lasting you 24 hours, then you're good to go.

I see your Suboxone doctor doesn't think you'll be on Suboxone too long. May I ask what he/she is basing that on?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think she is basing it in the fact that I really don't want to be on it. I will start counseling next week with an addiction counselor and my doctor thinks that the sessions will help more then the suboxone. I have a question, of you take your dosage and you still feel cravings, what do you do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad you're meeting with an addiction counselor. I lucked out and got in with a really good addiction counselor right off the bat. He helped me a lot.

If you're taking your Suboxone and still having cravings, you may not be taking enough Suboxone? You should discuss this with your Suboxone doctor and addiction counselor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am actually, looking forward to meeting with the addiction counselor. I have heard he is one of the best in our area. As some of you may know my husband knows nothing of what it happening to me. Do any of you have any ideas on how to approach him? He and I have been together for over 37 years....We aren't getting along right now because he is a serious addict, if there is such a thing, and I am trying to turn my life around. I, honestly, don't see him ever doing this! So there is a good chance that we will separate. Do you think a person can outgrow their spouse? I feel like I am in that place right now. Thinking of a future (second half of my life) without all the drugs and alcohol makes my heart smile. With the way things have been with us I have been saying mean things to him, as he has been with me. I have never been one to tell him exactly how I feel because I was afraid he would dump me. But I don't care anymore, I am getting strong with myself and can't let this happen anymore...

Thanks for reading, could use some input~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there! Years ago when I was in active addiction to pain pills, I arrived there with my boyfriend at the time. The 2 of us slipped into addiction together. I grew very tired of the lifestyle I couldn't maintain and of being sick 4 days out of 7 every week. When I finally said enough and sought out help, I encouraged him to join me. To break free of the dead end road we were on. He wanted no part of it. I got on subs and drastically changed my life without him. Once I got free of him and drugs everything steamrolled ahead. I moved an hour away, met my current awesome husband, went back to school to become a dog trainer, bought a house and my life is amazing now. The guy I left is now a heavy heroin user, hasn't worked in 6 years, lives with his mom (he is 44) and lost everything he ever worked for. From what I hear from his sister I run into every now and then, he only leaves his bedroom to score more drugs then locks himself back in for days. Not much of a life.

In my opinion, trying to turn your life around and get away from drugs is very hard if you are still with an active user who has no desire to change. In addiction, we tend to become codependent on the person we use with. Misery loves company they say. I know in my heart, if I stayed with the ex and tried staying away from drugs, it would of never lasted. He would of eventually broke me down after seeing him snort pills over and over. I would of said the hell with it, and went back. I knew what I wanted and what I had to do to get it. It was scary getting out on my own. I had no job, no prospects and no money but I found a way. I first moved in with a sober friend, got a job, saved all my money and the minute I could, got the hell out of dodge and moved far enough away I was completely removed from that environment.

this is YOUR life, the only one you have. Do whats best for you. If your husband has no desire to change, then you have a decision to make. Life in misery or life in happiness, free from drugs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As a side note, I am no longer taking subs. Life is still amazing and I wake up looking forward to every new day I am blessed to have :)

Stay strong!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Trainer14, your story inspires me. I met with a counselor yesterday for an intake and I am feeling that I am finally on the right track. it excites me and makes me happy to think of my future. I feel the whole reason I got addicted to pain pills is because of my husband. Is that ok to blame him? Is it right to blame just one of us or is it really both of us? I guess I allowed him to do that to me right? I was a positive happy person in the beginning but over the years he has changed me. He is always so negative and depressing it has finally broken me down. He is toxic! 37 YEARS! He is never going to grow up. But I have some serious disadvantages, I can't get a job so I really don't have any money! I am 58 and have interviewed for hundreds of jobs with no luck. I think it is because of my age. We both live off of his social security and receive food stamps. I am old and I have no skills....so now what do I do? I will NEVER have money and in thinking that, it makes me feel hopeless. I am trapped! While I am sitting here writing this to you, it makes me want an oxy. I started taking the oxys because I thought they were helping with my depression. Everyone tells me I am wrong, that they do the opposite, but I don't feel like that at all~ I never thought this is a place I would be in my 50's, incredible! Why did I let it go one for so long??? I probably would have had a much better chance if I had figured this out when I was younger. I really thought he would grow out of it, but in actuality it has gotten worse for him. My sub doctor is out of town this week and I have been on the subs for 3 weeks. What do I do if the dosage she prescribed isn't taking the cravings away????? Should I just wait and talk to her about it when she gets back???

Thanks for the inspiration!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

side note for trainer14....how longs was your addiction and how long were you on the subs?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Trainer terrific post above. Inspirational story for all of us.

Dawnie, if 3 mgs of Sub isn't keep your cravings at bay you should go up, but wait for your Dr to get back and speak with her. I've been on Subs for just about a year after a 4 year addiction to pain pills and life is fantastic. Remember your still in very early stages of Suboxone treatment And the Dr will need to tinker with your dose a bit. I was really really ready to quit, and I've had very few cravings if any at all.

I know life is hard, jobs, money etc but pills don't make it any easier. Also please remember your dealing with things sober for the first time and that can be scary. When I got straight, I realized I was broke, was about to get fired, and my wife was likely leaving me - was I freaked out...yes, but I handled them as best I could, and handled them is all I needed to do cause on pills I wasn't handling anything - if that makes sense?

And don't be too worried about getting of them, why not live a year in Subs and see what happens?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was heavily addicted to oxy 80s for about 3 years, the last year was nothing but sheer and utter misery. I was fired from my job because I couldn't work consistently due to being in withdrawals almost all the time. My ex owned his own machine shop and house so I did crappy stuff at his shop in exchange for drugs. Pretty pathetic. I was on subs for 5 years, tapered down and quit cold turkey at 2 mgs. Been doing awesome off them and feel great.

I wouldn't recommend over taking your prescribed dose if you cant get in touch with your sub doctor. It will cause you to run out of meds early and you will find yourself in a bind! Trust me I know! Definately get in touch with your dr as soon as she/he is back in the office and let them know your dose isnt covering your cravings. You may need to increase. Stabile on subs means no cravings, no physical withdrawals and just a sense of normal feeling. I never felt high on subs, just normal.

Do you have a family member you could move in with in case you do decide to leave your husband? I understand about the lack of job prospects. Its a tough economy out there. Not easy trying to rebuild a life on minimum wage, which seems to be what most jobs pay if you dont have a college degree or career. My first job when I got clean was a well paying one but my boss was a tyrant and I quit after a yearbut it served its purpose of allowing me to save alot of money to move. I then decided that I needed a career if I was ever going to make it and became a dog trainer. Working with dogs is a rewarding job.

While on subs, you will find you have the opportunity to make life changes without being trapped in the cycle of addiction. Using, running out, sick, scoring oxy, being ok for a day or two and then the cycle repeats. Wash, rinse, repeat. Its a lifestyle that just cant be maintained. I hope things work out for you! Keep seeing your counselor and moving forward!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I like the idea of being given the opportunity to make life changes while on subs! Very appealing! It just seems so strange to think that it will probably be without my husband. There was a 7 year span that my husband was clean and then went back to it. So it makes me think that it possibly can be done again but for a lifetime instead of 7 years. Our marriage has been like being siblings for about the last 8 years. We haven't had sex in 8 years! I miss it but thinking about doing it with my husband again is a complete turn off, the attraction is gone~ He is pretty verbally abusive too (but then again, I can be too) . So all in all, I hope that I might be able to live the second half of my life with happiness...

My doctor originally had me on 3 sublingual tabs a day but she brought it down because it has been making really really tired. She brought me down to 1 and a half tabs hoping the sleepiness will go away. I think I am going to have to go back up and just deal with the sleepiness, maybe the longer I am on it, the sleepiness will go away. I really hope to find a happy medium. I will take your advice and not change my dosage until I can talk to my doctor but I was thinking maybe, I could take myself back up to the 3 a day since that is what she started me with...what do you all think? I really can't get it out of my head! I am trying to use some of the coping skills she gave but it's not working. Please let me know what you think about this~ I really love having your support!!! Glad I found this forum~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

*side note, I possibly do have someone I could live with but I really don't want to do that. I want him to move out!