It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is my first post, however I have been reading things on this forum on and off for a year or more. I have been on Suboxone about 3 years, starting at 32mgs and now down to 1mg per day. I am patiently waiting to taper all the way off with no set plans, just consistent slight reductions in my dose. The problem I have is that I dose 3 times a day - morning, afternoon & evening. How do I best go about getting down to twice and then once per day? If I take more than 1/3mg I feel too high, but if I take say only .25 I want more shortly thereafter. Is there anyone who has dealt with this same type of issue and how was it overcome?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi BB and welcome to the forum. So you're now at 1 mg and are taking that in 3 doses per day, right? And you've tried cutting out one of those doses but can't do it without withdrawals, is that correct?

Have you tried cutting out the midday dose EVERY OTHER DAY? Then you can adjust the time that you take the other two doses to make up for that missing midday dose. You might have some discomfort that first day, but remember you'll be taking three doses every other day. Try doing that for about a week. Maybe then your body will be adjusted and you'll be able to do without the midday dose. I'm not saying it WILL work, but it's worth a try.

Keep up the good work. You can get through this. Good luck! And ask more questions if you have any.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm 
BB....First of all, congratulations on your terrific progress!! From 32mg/day all the way down to 1mg/day is just super! No matter how long it took, having made it this far down shows a good deal of committment and patience on your part. I hope you're feeling empowered by your progress!
I agree with what Hatmaker suggested in terms of trying to cut back the 3 times a day dosing. You may even find that you can cut that midday dose out completely with little difficulty within a week or so.
Honestly, hindsight being 20/20 as they say.....it probably would have been best to have worked on your dosing frequency when you were still at higher doses. Reason being is that once you've gotten yourself down well below the 'ceiling' on buprenorphine (which you certainly have,) the doses sort of lose that long half life that bupe is notorious for. Therefore, it is often actually recommended that we start dividing our doses from once a day to two to three times a day in order to prevent going into withdrawal between doses. That being the case, unless it's just real important to you, you might reconsider and just continue on with your 3 times a day dosing. Personally, I think you might feel better about things if you just get yourself to twice a day dosing. I'm not sure if you're on films or tablets, but that kind of makes a difference too......It's difficult with the tabs to precisely divide those tiny doses unless you're doing the liquid taper method.
In any case, in my opinion, you're really okay staying with dosing more than once a day at this point. You're getting awfully close to being done! I don't mean to imply that getting under your 1mg/day will be easy or that finishing the taper and coming completely off Sub will be a breeze from here on out. In my own experience and others I've read/heard about, the adjustments under 1mg/day can be challenging. So take your time and allow yourself to adjust to each dose reduction before dropping further.
Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I'm not a doctor or an expert, just a former RN, former moderator here, and opiate addict who has been on Sub for over 2 years and finishing a long taper myself right now. Hope I've helped and hope you'll stick around here!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the encouraging words. It is the films and I dose pretty damn precisely. I was kind of aware of the fact that I was way below the ceiling and that is the reason for the ups and downs (more similar to full agonist), however I assumed that once a day dosing was always the way to go no matter what based on what I've read on here and how doctors prescribe. I have wondered if I could continue dropping while taking it 3x a day and still jump, even if in the end I am taking tiny pieces 3x a day. Would it work like this or would I just naturally progress to 2x and then 1x through sheer determination to one day be totally off of Suboxone? I have been patient so far and am not planning to force anything, but I must say it was a lot easier to deal with dropping in dosage up until about 1.5 or 2mg, so I am a little apprehensive about what lies ahead. I just want to do it right and I'll take any advice that I can get. I would like to one day be completely free of opiates and be able to share my experience to help others do the same. I know there are some on this forum who do that and it's great.