It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a former heroin addict (1 gm/day for 8 years) and suboxone user (3 years). I just stopped suboxone and have now gotten off of ALL meds. I did it cold turkey after working myself down to 1.5mg of suboxone. I also managed to stop smoking in the process.

I'm now in the third week of withdrawals. I have suffered all the normal withdrawal symptoms, but the one that is most debilitating at this point is a total and complete lack of energy. I haven't even had the motivation to get out of bed during this whole time!!!!

As I understand it, this is the result of my brain not producing dopamine naturally after I stopped opiates. In searching the net, I found that taking L-dopa (a precursor to dopamine) as a supplement can stimulate dopamine production. I just started taking 800mg of mucuna pruriens extract (15% L-dopa) per day.

Will taking L-dopa really speed up my brain's natural dopamine production??? What happens when I stop taking L-dopa?? Will whatever gains I made be lost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

67 days off, 10 year habit, 60 years old +2 days.

Energy - vitamin B-12, L- Tyrosine

Endorphin renewal- B-7 Biotin, 5HTP, DLPA

Multi Vitamins

Clonodine to help with detox

Second phase, PAWS can be rough but be strong- Slam your thumb in the car door to get in the mood, but don't look back the future is bright!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So is there any word on how well L-Dopa works?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Unfortunately the question is a little bit older. I hope the is still interesst in an answer.

L-Dopa is transformed by the body to dopamine. You could buy Mucuna pruriens extract capsules (best would be not just any capsules but a standarized extract).
That plant contains a lot of L-Dopa.
But there is a problem. Most vendor's websites will tell you that L-Dopa is converted to dopamine. This is true. And they tell you that this would be a great supplement to raise your dopamine levels. And this is not really true.
What you want is a higher dopamine level in the brain. When you take L-Dopa, it is converted to dopamine in the body. Then you have more dopamine in your blood and this dopamin is not able to cross the blood brain barrier. So it will not reach the brain where you want it.
People suffering from Parkinson Disease get L-Dopa on prescription. And the also get a second medicament that is called a decarboxylase inhibitor. This stuff will prevent L-Dopa from being metabolized in the body. So it can cross the BBB and then it gets metabolized to dopamine in the brain.
This is what no supplement vendor tells you.
And you can't buy a decarboxylase inhibitor. You need to get it on prescription.
Maybe it could be possible to use green tea extract as decarboxylase inhibitor. This could maybe be possible. But perhaps it is too weak. I don't know. I never btried it.

But I would never advice to experiment with this stuff on your own. If you have a neurological problem, suffer from parkinson or something like that, then a medical doctor will perhaps pescribe you L-Dopa. Don't play with your brain. This is something else than curing stomach problems with peppermint or taking german chamomile for a headache.
You don't even know if you have a neurotransmitter problem in your brain. So better don't mess with your brain.
Mucuna pruriens extract is 'harmless' because it doesn't work. There is a cause that you can't buy L-Dopa and a decarboxylase inhibitor like carbidopa without prescription.

Where is the founder of this forum? As a medical doctor he can explain this a lot better than me. I am no doctor and I have problems with the English langage. Although I have no problems in reading and understanding, I cannot write what I want so tell, because the needed words do not come to my mind.

And for opiate withdrawal: Yes, I think that L-Dopa which produces dopamine in the brain (when used correctly) can help with withdrawal.
I read studies that is was possible to reduce opiate withdrawal symptoms with the help of dopamine agonists.
And apomorpin seems to be really good for opiate withdrawal. It should kill nearly all withdrawal symptoms (but you have to puke all the time. So it's not really a useful remedy.).
But I really would not advice to play with L-dopa, dopamine, dopamine agonists, ... in order to relieve withdrawal. Use this only with the help of a doctor.

Better use Nigella sativa oil capsules, rosemary extract or something like that to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Quote:
Energy - vitamin B-12, L- Tyrosine

Does that really help? Have you tried it by yourself? Then please tell me how much you took and what happened exactly.
I'm interessted in that.
But actually I can't imagine that e.g. vitamin b12 really gives you so much energy that you can feel it.

Quote:
Endorphin renewal- B-7 Biotin, 5HTP, DLPA

Endorphine renewal? I don't believe that. Maybe vitamin B7 is involved in some way in the production of endorphines. I don't know. But I don't think that taking biotine results in more endorphines. And I also don't know how much it will help when the body produces more endorphines.
D-phenylalanine is an enkephalinase inhibitor. So DLPA prevents the breakdown of enkephalines. That could maybe result in pain reduction and maybe a little withdrawal relief, too. I never tried.
5-HTP is the precursor of serotonin. Ingesting that stuff will not work as you want. It's the same problem as with L-Dopa. You need a decarbxylase inhibitor. Otherwise 5-HTP will metabolize in the body before it reaches the brain. This results only in high serotonin levels in the blood and this is actually not good for you.

Quote:
Multi Vitamins

hmm... I think, it is not really good to take artificial vitamins. You probably don't need it. Just use it when you have a vitamine defiency. If you have no vitamin defiency, I will not help. Too much vitamins are not good. Too much of some vitamins (mainly the fat soluable vitamins) can lead to real problems.
If your nutrition is OK, you do not need vitamin supplementation. In most European countries, it is not needed you most people to take extra vitamins. It is probably the same for people in the USA. Best thing is probably to buy a lot of fruits and some vegetables for withdrawal. Sweet, easy to eat, vitamins and minerals. I would recommend that.
But again: Where is the forum owner? Our doctor probably can answer all this questions a lot better than me.
And I'd like to hear his opinion.