It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Dont know what to do!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a 22 year old i was just recentley medically retired from the Marines, i had been shot over 10 times in my feet and lower legs in Iraq when i was 19 a little over three years ago, i was in the hospital for 2 months as they rebuilt my feet which i was fortunate enough to keep and was on a dilaudid drip that whole time, i was given a whole assortment of meds when i finally went home including percocet and oxycontin, i took those for maybe only a month and felt like i was strong enough to deal with this on my own without anything i never even felt withdrawls or anything when i had stopped taking them, i continued to get prescribed lortabs but was not taking them on a regular basis they were not a daily part of my life only taking them when the pain was a little to much, then about a year went by and i really cant tell you what changed i started partying maybe a little more my PTSD symptoms started to get a little worse i dont know exactly what it was but i started caring much more about having pain meds and the feeling they gave me, so it began i started taking my 120 percocet 10s in about 2-3 weeks but still not going out and buying any pills when i ran out just waiting until i could get my script refilled, that lasted for a about 6 months then i got tired of running out so i got prescribed oxycontin only 20mg, but that is when i really started to abuse them, when i would run out of my script i started buying pills to get me through until a refill, whatever i could find anything from vicodin to opana, i am currently prescribed oc 30mg and for the past 6 months i would say i take anywhere from 90-200 mg of oxycontin a day, it has changed my life for the worse i am no longer the same person and do none of the things i use to love to do, it has made everyone in my life miserable and they have all tried to tell me what these pills are doing to me, for so long i have refused to listen saying how bad i need them, but the truth is i dont even know my true pain level anymore becuase of my high tolerance and my addiction to the pills, so this week i went to my doctor and told him i was addicted and was abusing my meds, he said he was going to find a doctor in the area that could deal with suboxone, i am just wondering if this what is best for me to get off the pain meds im just mostly afraid of the withdrawl symptoms bc if i even go half a day without oc i feel absolutly terrible, so if anyone can give advice as to if this is the right route for me thank you, and i have never posted on any forum and dont know how to go about it so sorry if this is wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey There!

First off, thanks for your service to our country!

Now then, I am no professional, but you sound like a good candidate for using suboxone to wean yourself off the heavy-duty Oxycontin merry-go-round you're on.

A GOOD, qualified, doctor can help you with this, and so can the excellent and knowledgeable people on this site. I know a few people who have escaped opiate abuse by using suboxone to wean themselves and if you do it right, you will experience only minor discomfort.

The first step is to find a doctor who can prescribe the suboxone for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi buffalobills549,
Welcome , First & foremost THANK YOU for your service and dedication to your Country. This Country is So Great and powerful because of Men & Women like you and for that I am grateful!!!!
As far as Suboxone goes from the little I know about your situation it sure sounds like it would help you get thru the W/D's and help you to get clean from opiates.... BUT I am NO Dr. or Health professional so you should find one.. Its good that you came clean with your Dr. Now hopefully he can find a Good Suboxone Dr. for you... But that is just the start you may need counseling and some therapy after you get started on the medication. The Dr.'s will help you thru all that stuff.. Just get into see the Dr. and go from there. Just be honest with the Suboxone Dr. so they can get you on the right amount of medication. I can tell you from my Experience that Suboxone is a Wonderful drug IF USED CORRECTLY.. I have been on 16 mgs. a day for about 15 months now and I am sure it has saved my life... I am glad you found this Forum there are many great people out here willing to help out one another and helping out someone as Courageous as you would be an honor for ME... I'll stop rambling and close by saying get to the Dr. and then let us know what your plan is so we can give some Support from here... Best of luck!!!!

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome, buffalobills -
I'd like to join the others in thanking you for your service to this country. I also want to thank you for sharing your story.
I, too, am not a doctor or a medical professional, but I will say you do sound like a good candidate for suboxone - for two reasons: opiate addiction and pain control (should it turn out that you need it). You'll find a lot of information on this site about suboxone in general as well as many personal experiences.

Suboxone for many of us makes us feel normal, for lack of a better word. When I first started it I almost couldn't believe it - it was like it was too good to be true! But it is true. And I have pain issues myself and have learned that it does help my pain. So it might be able to help yours as well. I'm not pain-free, but it is manageable.

Suboxone is a tool that helps us achieve "addiction remission". It will take away the withdrawals as well as the cravings. That's the amazing part, getting rid of those nasty cravings. Once stable on a dose, we then take that time suboxone has given us to start working on our issues that led us to addiction in the first place. Many of us attend counseling/therapy, 12-step or other support groups, and we use this forum for support, too. People stay on suboxone for varying lengths of time.

I hope it works for you and gives you a fighting chance at recovery and relieves some of your pain, too. We're here for you, so ask any questions you may have and we'll be here to answer as best we can and to support you.
Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.

PS - what branch were/are you in? I'm an Army vet myself.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:19 am 
Hello and welcome, I'm sorry for everything you've been through. I can't add a lot to what has already been said, only that most of us here have suffered withdrawals at one time or another so we know what you're talking about. I had been trying to get clean on my own for several months before I went on Sub and went through horrible withdrawals only to relapse and have to do it again. Once I got inucted onto the Sub, however, I can honestly say I did not suffer at all. I had a few days that I felt "off" and drowsy, but that was about it. I wished I had done it sooner.
I wish you all the best.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you for all the responses hopefully the my doctor can find a doctor soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 am 
Hello Buffalo! I'm glad you found us and I really hope you'll be back. You've gotten some good responses already and I wanted to add mine. I've just had to sit here a minute and think about where to even start.
I feel so bad for you.....such a young man and already you've been through so much. It humbles me to think about your sacrifice. I have a son just a little older than you are.....oh my gosh, the thought of him suffering as you have brings me to tears. I'm just so sorry.
Here's the deal.....You have to decide right now to get your life back. It may not be the life you planned or what you had hoped for, but it can be good and it can be fulfilling. I promise you one thing though.....You will never know until you get off the pain pills. The cycle you have found yourself in will never end. You can't escape tolerance.....You will continue to need more and more medication to get the effect you want/need. The NA saying is true when it comes to opiate addicts - "One is too many and a thousand is never enough." There are not enough drugs on this earth to keep us satisfied. So.....You've got a few choices on how to break the cycle and I would encourage you to continue educating yourself about which way to go. A bunch of us here have tried more than once to quit cold-turkey or taper off pain meds. We might last a little while, but ultimately we cave and start the whole process over again. Statistically, your best chance of long-term sobriety without any medications to help you, would be to check yourself in to at least a 90 day residential rehab program. Most of us don't have good enough insurance or enough money to do something like that. But if you do......think about it as an option.
Personally, I think you would be a fantastic candidate for buprenorphine. I'm impressed that your doctor offered to help get you set up. I'm also real impressed that you came clean with your doctor in the first place.....I know that was hard. There are so many good things about going this route. Suboxone will give you a chance to get your head cleared. All you've got to do in most cases, is go without your painkillers for a day or so and get into some mild to moderate withdrawals (sweats, teary eyes, runny nose, aches, etc.) Then you go to your doctor's office and he/she gives you your first dose of Suboxone or Subutex and !VOILA! - you're feeling better within an hour! I tell you it felt like magic to me. The day I started my Suboxone was the first day I felt true HOPE of EVER getting through this mess and coming out on the other side. Don't get me wrong......I am not the same as I was before all this. You won't be either.....but I get the feeling your life was forever changed before you even got addicted to opiates. You will still have work to do, even with Sub, but you'll have a chance to work on things with a clear head and without craving opiates every waking moment of your day!
I also think bupe will give you a chance to figure out how much physical pain you truly have at this point. You'll probably need to give it some time because at first it may seem like you're in tons of pain with every little thing. That happened to me for a while. I now understand that there is a reason for that......damage has been done to the way we perceive pain because of our constant flooding of our brains with opiates. In any case, within a matter of time, I think you'll be able to know where you stand in terms of chronic pain issues. Another beautiful thing.....bupe can be used for chronic pain too and it may be able to control your pain as well as your addiction.
I have a lot more I would like to say to you, but I've already got a mini novel going, so I'll quit! I'm not a doctor or anything, just someone like you who got addicted to opiates and wanted the nightmare to end. Please let us help in any way we can. You can get better......Don't give up!

Post subject: go for it!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey buffalo bill!, im from niagara falls and everybody gives me crap for being a bills fan. so in tha respect i feel your pain i wanted to thank you for your service and your sacrifice for all of us back home. i wasnt in the service but i had an industrial accident that resulted in the amputation of my left foot so in a way i kinda understand. and it sounds like our tolerances are similar as well. so as far as deciding on weather or not to go on suboxone i personally would highly reccomend it. ive been on it for about 5 weeks now and soberiety is truely possible. Id go as far as to say that it saved my life! no doubt about it. youve got some researching to do id say before you make a decision and you obviously have to talk to ur doc. but i think if u decide to go for it youll be glad you did so good luck! hope this helps. and again THANK YOU!