It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I dont know?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't really know if my post belongs in this section, but it seemed the most fitting out the options. I have been a member of this forum for over a year. When I first joined I was using suboxone purchased on the street after 4-5 years addiction to full agonist opiates. I was uninsured and wanted to do it the right way but couldn't see a way to afford the initial 200$ dollar visit just to see if I they would accept me as a patient and then a 400$ visit for induction plus prescription cost and maintenence visits. I've been able to pretty much find and afford enough sub from street connections to never have to worry about being sick or having to find full agonist opiates to make sure I'm not sick at work ect. Every so often I can't find suboxone and have to scrounge up what I can and, basically barely get by just by the skin of my teeth. This past week has been torture I've been going to work sick and still spending all my money on opiates that barely take me out of the sick zone for a few hours.

So finally just a few days ago I called every clinic listed for my area on a Google search. Every place I called is full with a waiting list. One place referd me to some mental health and addictions place, so I called and they said I could come in and get evaluated and they could see what they could do. They had me bring proof of income and gave me a sliding scale fee of 21$ for that days visit instead of 70$ The lady who evaluated me told me their resident doc was full but, she's working with some other doctors who might be able to take me. One being a 2-3 hour drive and the other being a Farley new clinic in the area so the doc was not at capacity yet and that one is only 20-30 mins from where I live! She had me call the closer one right in her office. He didn't answer and, she told me to leave him a message. And she would be emailing and contacting both doctors for me. Then she sent me on my way telling me she would be in touch.

She also seems to think based on my income I will be able to get insurance for probably nothing, and she is actually taking the time to basically do the signing up for me. Excuse my french but that lady is a fucking angel in my eyes right now.

I haven't heard back for either the doc or that lady ( I don't know if she was a psychologist or what I was really sick when I went I so its was kind of a haze) but, what I'm wondering is should I be upfront and honest to both her and possibly doc about previous opiate use and also sub use. I don't want to be turned away because for over 2 years I've been able to keep up with buying sub on the streets. Its not like I've been using to get high all this time. I've been using it to stay well and work and pay bills like a normal person. I did tell her I have tried suboxone before but, was kind of apprehensive about telling her its the MAIN thing I've been using for a few years. Should I be honest or, is that something I should keep to myself?

Post subject: Re: I dont know?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:23 pm 

Hey B D,
If they ask, be honest. Answer only the questions and maybe not be so forthcoming.
Im sure they have heard it all before and know when they hear the truth.
So glad your getting a program started.
good for you..
Were addicts and they know it.lol..so domt be afraid.

Best of luck.....razor 55.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

BD, I second what razor said. If they ask, be honest. But don't go beyond the scope of the question. In other words, don't volunteer more info than they asked for (sorry). They know we are addicts. If your there your trying to get your life together and be a productive member of society. That's to be commended. Good luck, CC

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:34 am 

I agree with the others. Be honest. These people are used to dealing with addicts and all of their mechanisms to keep from being sick.

The lady you've been dealing with sounds like she is really in it for the right reasons. It's awesome that you found someone to help you through getting hooked up with a sub doctor!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

All you guys are right I'm probably just being paranoid. I won't tell them what they don't ask me (and I don't think they would ask "have you been trying to maintain your addiction through diverted suboxone") but I'm pretty sure they will drug test me and if I happen to show positive for only suboxone I'm thinking that's gonna look a little weird.

Today was a really good day. I'm now insured!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm 

Great news BD!!!
Ok, your on your way.
Ins , good for you. I dont have it as yet.
keep moving forward. This will all workout for you.

razor 56...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey BD

My doc asked me if I was familiar with bupe in my intake when he deemed me a candidate based of my track record of drugs and and failed rehab attempts and I said yes. He asked if I had taken it and I told him it was a mainstay when I couldn't get or was trying to get clean detoxing with it for 5-7 days. He was happy to know I didn't have any adverse reactions and that I felt almost completely normal when on it. I cannot speak for your experience but these docs are usually well versed in addiction. My doc says "try something new...it's called being honest" it's nice to feel someone cares and understands. That having been said I'll second whats been said....no need to answer questions that haven't been asked. For what its worth I'll say a prayer for you. Fingers crossed all goes well. Keep us posted!

-Laz