It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I try to post the "truth" about the effects of suboxone and the admin keeps blocking my posts ~ i cannot be part of a forum that is one sided. It is not fair ! The next big dilemma in the future is going to be that no-one cannot get off subs !! You watch BYE Hawthorne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Hawthorne...

It's doubtful that you've got the "truth"... as if there's some sort of active conspiracy to hide it.
There are so many, many success stories here....including mine. Do you think we're all part of the conspiracy as well?

What about the many thousands of people...thousands and thousands of once suffering addicts across the
country who would gladly tell you they owe their lives to this medication.

I suggest you hang around, read and read and read with an open mind. Ask fair questions.
No one's going to not allow fair, courteous questions.

You just might learn something. I certainly hope so.

Especially read the "stopping suboxone" forum. YOu'll see so many stories of people who successfully
taper off. Also the "bupe in the rearview mirror forum"...though that's likely less active because once
people leave buprenorphine behind, they go on to lead regular lives...which is to say....drug free lives...
and no longer have the need for much support..

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm 

Well, Hawthorne, it seems like you came here with an agenda. Your only idea of helping is to tell people that the sky is falling. We've had hundreds of people here who have referenced tapering off buprenorphine with little to no problem.

Are we one sided? To an extent. First, we accept statements that are backed by scientific evidence. We try to bring as much science to the forum as we can. Secondly, this is a pro buprenorphine forum. We think that buprenorphine is one of the only evidence-based that is proven to prevent opioid addicts from overdosing and dying. The truth is, that buprenorphine is saving lives. When you compare overdose and death to being dependent on a medication that requires some time and patience to taper off of, I'll take the saving of a life every single time.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Any response is wasting space ... I can only imagine what this guy had to say, but it probably ran along the lines of "My 50000 word essay which blames Suboxone for everything"...

Suboxone is the reason:

1. You didn't get that big promotion at work.
2. Your dog died
3. You kidnapped the walmart door-greeter for Cadbury eggs as ransom.
4. Not enough windows in mom's basement.
5. You can't get a hard-on
6. Your hard-on won't go away if you do get one.
7. You're sure, after measuring, Suboxone has made your manhood smaller than while on full agonist opioids.

and so forth, and so on...

We've seen it all before.

Chances are, the member is a member who's been here before and got the facts presented...or they said something that got them removed...

With all the misinformation about Suboxone there is out there, readily available, people here deserve facts displaying the positive side without that "ignorance bias" that gets added to it so blatantly.

While watching some netflix last night, I got into a series that aired on MSNBC called "Lockup"...
One of the series was about drugs being brought into the jail/prison..
The first drug sent in via the postal service was a small amount of heroin...
Then they found that inmates had managed to get Suboxone into the prison, and the investigator over the prison was describing to the camera exactly how they got it in, then he went into his "definition" of what Suboxone was.
I swear I'm telling the truth here...
This man actually said that Suboxone was a synthetic form of heroin.
It's in S1 E5, at 18:00 into it. The investigator is describing another "drug" that's made it's way into the facility. He then states that Suboxone has been found, and that it's a synthetic form of heroin.
I had to do a double-take when I heard it, and actually rewinded it and listened again.

THIS is exactly what's wrong with our current "climate"..
The political climate towards addicts and addiction help,
and society's view of addiction and addicts.

Later in the very same episode of that show, a guy who was used as the fall-guy (name and E-number) was used for Suboxone to be sent in...he said he was in Suboxone treatment on the street but didn't know how anyone could get high from it in jail (they even asked him how inmates were using that to get high)...
He said he never got high from it, and that he didn't know how anyone could.

It's not surprising people come here and expect to be able to blame Suboxone with everything that's wrong in their world & lives.
After all, it's all suboxone's fault that we got hooked in the first place, right?

I mean, years ago, when I first started eating painkillers.....it was all due to Suboxone.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am 

"1. You didn't get that big promotion at work.
2. Your dog died
3. You kidnapped the walmart door-greeter for Cadbury eggs as ransom.
4. Not enough windows in mom's basement.
5. You can't get a hard-on
6. Your hard-on won't go away if you do get one.
7. You're sure, after measuring, Suboxone has made your manhood smaller than while on full agonist opioids."

Oh my! Number four made me bust out laughing!! I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink of something! I don't think there's anything else you could have said that would sum up the type of person you are referencing better than that. Thanks for the laugh!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am 

She tried Suboxone and it didn't work for her. We all know how it reacts differently with people. We chatted via PM and she said she is just plain done with any opiates and went cold turkey over a week ago. Hey, more power to her. She told me that she really didn't have anything to contribute so she'll just not say anything. The reason I PM'd her was to find out what she was referring to regarding deleting posts, etc. That didn't happen as far as I can see. I checked our moderator logs and nothing was disturbed except for removing a link that was an ad. That is our job here and not censoring.

If you're reading this Hawthorne, we wish you the very best in recovery no matter what method you choose. Sorry the Suboxone didn't work out for you but at least you know we're here just in case you want to come back later. We don't harbor ill will.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

Rule I was going to mention that I edited a promotional link yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, thank you for that. I admire your response so much. A compassionate, reasonable response free of unhelpful anger and sarcasm.. If Hawthorne is ever going to get her/his mind changed...or someone like her...it's your post that would have helped pave the way.

Edit: Just to add, I also really respect that you took the time and trouble to reach out to her. I understand
it was related to forum business, but all the same it was a fine thing to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, your info is important to me to read and is, as I suspected. In my over 1 yr here and reading all posts during this time as well as thousands of posts from prior years, except for a very few things like selling drugs or products or being abusive, posts are allowed, some may be challenged but they're allowed. Also, I remember hawthorne bc she's had an abysmal time this last year or so. truly abysmal w family deaths, her own fight w cancer and addiction. So I wish her well going CT of all opiates. We all know how hard that is. Best to all today, P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This forum can get incredibly defensive about criticism of Suboxone, even the few times when that criticism has substance. Understandable given a lot of people come here for the sole reason to bash Suboxone.

What is it about recovery methods that gets people so one-eyed? When someone in the 12-step community raises valid concerns about how the program doesn't suit their needs they are shot down. Same goes with some rehabs. It's like people swear by what worked for them and expect it to work the same for everyone else.

Suboxone is evidence based sure, but there are some real benefits to not being on it. As with all things you gotta weigh the risks with the benefits. Western medicine is always quite pro-western medicine, often at the expense of encouraging a person's autonomy and opportunities for growth. Marc Lewis' "Biology of Desire" comes to mind where he attempts to debunk the disease model in place of a "learning" model. Probably because he managed to overcome his own opioid addiction without the need for methadone or Suboxone.

For me Suboxone, and this forum, is a means to an end. Realistically I know I may end up being a Sub-lifer, but that won't be for a lack of trying to be sub-free. So Hawthorne I wish you well and hope you stay clean, so you can come back here a year or two down the track and give me some hope!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This part of the forum interests me as I'm still new to buprenorphine. I'm curious about the benefits and the drawbacks and I appreciate hearing honest opinions from both sides. I can understand how this can become emotionally charged very quickly. After all, we're talking about people's lives here.

You can tell a lot about a particular group of people by how they treat those that disagree with them. I'm encouraged by the outpouring of empathy and respect directed at Hawthorne714. I think rule62 handled this like a pro and I sincerely hope that Hawthorne finds some peace.

From what I can tell by what I've read up to this point, people are given an amazing amount of freedom in expressing their opinions, as long as they are respectful to others. I know there are many here who are against the use of this substance, and I hope I can learn something from them. Open dialog is crucial if we are going to help change the way addiction is treated in this country and around the world.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 pm 

Thank You Openmind for keeping an open mind. We try very hard to let everyone express their opinion. There are rules to follow and they are listed on the front page when you log in. The only hard rules not listed are: 1) No arguing with a Moderator, (we don't get paid enough for that) and, 2) Don't disrespect our doctor who started this forum. He is the reason we have a place to post. Not too terrible to abide by. There may be others but that's all I can think of right now.

Being a pro-Suboxone forum, we still allow heated discussion about the negatives regarding this life saving medication. As long as members are respectful of others then we will have no problems. It's the name calling and stating opinions as facts that cause disruption.

Welcome to the forum and we hope you stick around and participate in our group.

rule62