It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was pescribed sub for chronic pain, an off-label use for this drug. At first I thought the drug was a miracle for me and could be, but I find that even though it is helping some, but it is just not cutting it for me. I was hoping that after the sub had built up in my system that it would work even better than it did at first.

I have noticed that it seems to have become less eff. for pain relief in the last few days, even though I take loads of OTC like Alve n Tylenol to help.

I think that the dose my doctor has me on is way too high. I am taking 1/2 8mg strip ev. 4-6 hours for pain. I did not have mcuh of an induction to the med, I went from Subutek for a few days straight to suboxone at the abve dose.

I have lost many friends or so called drug using associates in the last couple weeks. I can deal w/ that, but now it seems like I am over in the corner being punished in grade school LOL :D

I can see why the FDA has not approved sub for pain as of yet. I know about the ceiling effect, etc...and apprently the ceiling for this med is not high enough for me. I don't want to get high, I don't want to hurt either. I want to have a social life too, I am not too worried about low T as a side effect since I have kids and grandchildren, but my libido is way lower on this med than it was even on opies. I have lost a lot of sleep and the benadryl helps, and I even take Remeron for a diagnosed chronic insomnia issue I have had for over 20 years now, the sub over-rides the sedative effects of it even (30mg at bedtime btw). I sometimes find myslef in an endless worry over the cost of seeing the pain doc and the rising cost of sub. I worry about having sub on my pharm. report/log now. I that I went from one in chr. pain to a junkie in many peoples eyes. I feel that this switch has probably affected the way future doctors will look at me, Iknow they are going to think junkie...Ill write him some Motrin, maybe.......

Ah, enough, bs, but I am in between a rock and a hard place, get off sub the right way, and see what my pain level is like just using OTC's. Then compare that a few weeks to OTC's with sub. Maybe then I will see how effective the sub is for my pain.

I am going to go and see what medicines are out there for chronic pain that work for a pain rating of mine at a 6 w/ opies, and and an 7-8 with sub and OTC's. When I say a 6, that is bad pain, is like the third day after a molar extraction type pain on other parts of my body, like hip joints, right leg, neck...can't campare for a 7-8 , other than it is no fun.........

I apologize for bad grammar, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man sorry to here you are struggling, i know all to well that suboxone does nothing for serious chronic pain. I wasted five years of my life chasing pain relief on this drug not to mention how much suboxone ruined my life in so many ways do to side effects. I mean you know my suggestion look into methadone and you dont have to go to a clinic if you have well documented chronic pain you can get a 30 day script from a pain management Dr! Check my thread my switch it literally starts from detoxing of suboxone to start methadone to current date all the inf you need is in that thread. All i have to say is i sounded just like you for the longest time till i switched and since starting methadone these past 2 years are the best years ive had in 12 years when i got my first injury.

Post subject: sub
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think you know exactly what I mean then.

Sub def IMO has little relief for severe pain.

I have fought and hoped, etc.. as you probably did.

But, I will check out "my switch" as you suggested.

I know the pain doc I see doen't write that med for pain, unfortunately.

Dosen't mean other don't......

Thx

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea,
I'd really read Bboy's thread boxer,,,,,,,,

ALL of it, LOL

honestly, methadone MIGHT just be your ticket..........

In general there's MANY people that say methadone is a very well balanced pain medication,,, meaning becuz of the long half
life you dont have the ups and down of reg opiates.....

MYSELF,,,,I could never take it how your soposed to....so Im a bad example, but for someone in your situation,
I think this just might be your get outta jail free card, OR, get rida pain,,,, card?

LOL
Im the first to admit suboxone doesn't take my pain away, but its definitely tolerable to me, and you both (boxer/bboy) have
much more serious issues going on, than I do.

unfortunately ,,,
there's still the "stigma'" associated with methadone,
but i say,,,
IF it works for YOU,
who cares what anyone thinks!!!

it shouldn't be toooo hard to find someone, boxer.
When I got on methadone, (06 i think)
it was actually EASIER to get it, than oxy's or anything else.
the doctors at this pain management place i went to,
were under the impression it was much LESS abusable, than other medications.

Anyways,
I just wanted to say,,,,,, I think it's a good thing to look into,, and bboy's definitely the dude to talk
to about it!!!

GOOD LUCK
and I hope you find some relief very soon.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a quick comment on this "chronic-pain" thing... When Sub is prescribed for chronic-pain, it is prescribed off label.

Something interesting I read was that it's actually illegal for a pharmaceutical company to promote their medication for "off-label" uses. They call it "off-label promotion" and the law suits are for BIG MONEY. In the case of Zyprexa, I believe the settlement was 1.45 billion! A lot of money.

Rumour has it the Justice Dept has been sniffing around RB lately with rumours there's been some off-label marketing going on behind the scenes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahh thanks for the kind words amber. I do admire the fact you are able to deal with the pain that's something I need to work on. I tweak my knee I'm running or should I say hopping to a hot bath lol. Teej you would love this class I'm taking the last two classes have been all about off label uses of medications. I found out a lot of Dr won't even think about writing a script in this case and pharmacist can reject the script at there pharmacy by not filling it. if you get a real tight ass he will even report the Dr for doing this. There's a lot more to it than just this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahh thanks for the kind words amber. I do admire the fact you are able to deal with the pain that's something I need to work on. I tweak my knee I'm running or should I say hopping to a hot bath lol. Teej you would love this class I'm taking the last two classes have been all about off label uses of medications. I found out a lot of Dr won't even think about writing a script in this case and pharmacist can reject the script at there pharmacy by not filling it. if you get a real tight ass he will even report the Dr for doing this. There's a lot more to it than just this.

Post subject: other options
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the comments everyone!

As I stated before my current doc will prx md, from what I understood him to say was tto that I was a good candidate for sub for cp.

About off-label use, I guess I better keep to a low profile, I sure don't want to get in trouble, and apprarently there are many doc's who are writing sub for cp, maybe they will come down on them and maybe I the pharmacy will report them to authorities for off-label use prxing.

Now I have another thing to worry about w/ sub.....when will they bust my doc really? I know that many other meds are used as off-label , thousands of them maybe, I'll have to research both.

I hope that my doc does not get busted though, since he also practices general medicine, he is also prescribing my other meds, and there are about 8 of them, yep, I am a sick dude unfortunately!

Have you all heard about any doc's getting busted for writing sub off-label for pain in your research or others stories, ino on this now is imp. to me, since I am going to stay with this sub. for now since I am on Medicare. The way I read it, Medicare is tricky when it comes to md, plus having to go to many meetings, daily dosing , and the weather can interfere w/ my getting places ,an Im a po ass to beat it all! So gas to get there is an issue. I don't think the local clinic about 14 lies from here takes cpp., only recovering addicts, If my family were to even hear I was going there, I would be banished form them, no doubt about it, they are extremely religious, when they ask me what my new doc is giving me for pain now I tell them Buprenorphine and tell them you can't get high off of it because of ingredients it contains. They are comfortable with that, esp, since they only hear the B part , which is true. They say, esp. my very sick mother, I have never heard of it. enuff that...

Thanks again

boxer

Post subject: off-label prx suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I made a mistake when I said my current doc WILL prx md, I meant to say WILL NOT.

I read on the www by cancer.org, and American Consumer Rpeorts, etc..that once a drug is approved by the FDA that doctors can prescribe drugs for off-label uses.

It appears as was mentioned that the marketing of a drug to doctors by a pharm co. is def. against the law!

Apparently most of drugs that are pres. for off-label use is for drugs that the doctor thinks will serve the same purpose in their opinion, one interesting case was where an optomologist prescribed a drug for a type of severe eye problem, where the drug cost to the patient would have been over a thousand dollars, the one that the doc used was lless than a hundred dollars and the rport indicated that the outcome was good using the off-label drug and saved the patient a ton of money.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I have unfortunately found myself over medicating myself trying to stop my pain. I took for a week, more than I should have, wasy more, hoping that the pain would ease up, I was unsuccessful..My dr. appt. is next week, and I may ask him if taking a whole strp 3 x a day may work better than 1/2 a strip 6 x a day. Suboxone def has a ceiling effect, and I feel like even if I stopped taking sub by tapering and then restarting it by titrating back to 1/2 strip 6 x a day may work like it seemed to at first, I guess the shine wears off of any brand shoe after a while, I was very hopeful that sub would help like it did the fisrt week or so. I think that I was so loaded up on opiates when I started, it took a long time for my receptor sites to clear for some reason, and then the eff. of sub seemed to be less and less and less effective.

For me the pain relief may have been in my mind that I thought I was getting or I just got used to the plateau I had reached w/ the suboxone's ceiling effect.

Now the cravings for the opies are back w/ a vengeance, I pray I don't any more strong opiates, I am smoking like a freight train and I think it is like my body is saying, when you did a couple 30's, you always hot boxed cigs, why not now....?

I am starting to wonder what type of mood this stuff is putting me in now...maybe just the disappointment, maybe a lot of stuff going on that I can't deal w/ and put them on the back burner...I am not liking this feeling(s) aat all I can tell you that...

I figure he'll throw a fit, but 1/2 a strip isn't cutting it, I have even thought of tapering down to 1/4 a strip many times a day and see if that helps (w his approval)

I look up from the bottom of this hole I am in and the light is getting dimmer by the day. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Best wishes to all of you....

boxer