It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Since majority of the people that start Suboxone come to this section of the forum, I figured I would share my experience.

I've been on Suboxone since Fall of 2009, almost 4 years, and never imagined that I would be on it for this long. A brief history of myself includes, starting opiates in college and progressively getting worse until I was snorting almost 240mg of oxy a day. That was at my worse and knew I had to stop. I was at the point were I had to take those oxy's to feel normal.

That's not how I wanted to live and tried to quit multiple times, but the withdrawals were always unbearable and could never manage it. That's when I found Suboxone, and it helped me get my life together.

When I started Suboxone, I was told by my doctor that I could stay on Suboxone for my lifetime, but I always thought that was ridiculous and planned to be on no more than a year. During the first several months on Sub, I struggled both mentally and physically and had several relapses. These were always short because I wanted to get my old fix.

Once I got past that stage, I was dedicated to my Suboxone treatment, and was on it for a year until I knew it was time to get off. I expressed this to my doctor and he understood, but always instructed me to taper and jump off at high doses. I tried at 4mg, didn't work, ended up dropping down to 2mg and could maintain that. I remained there a while and never felt normal and went back up to 8mg.

Now after almost 4 years I have finally reached the 0.5mg level. How I did that, was a long and slowly, taper dropping by .063mg each week. I got back down to 2mg by dropping by .5mg and .25mg until I got there. When I got to 2mg I started dropping by .063mg.

Now that seems like such a small amount to drop by, but it wasn't possible until I know how to cut my Suboxone. Films helped make that possible and so did the Rx film cutting guide I created. I was able to use that to cut my film and drop my small amounts. This has helped me get down to where I am today and plan to take it all the way down to zero.

Now the downside to this taper, is it takes awhile. From 2mg down to 0mg, it will take me 8 months total. The benefit though is getting down to a low dose by tapering in small amounts with minimal or no withdrawals.

That's why I believe, if you're really interested in tapering, you should start as soon as possible, as long as you are mentally and physically ready. You need to be committed to wanting off Suboxone. If you are and want to know how to cut your Suboxone into such small doses, I created a video which gives you instructions. See it here: http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com/instructions.html

I wanted to share my opinion because I wish I would would of done this sooner. Either way, I wish you all good luck in your recovery.

RXFCG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for the chart & info! Keep us updated on your progress...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You got it Tiki! I hope it helps.

I'll be ready to jump in a few months and post updates along the way. Majority of my updates are in the Stopping Suboxone section, because that's the goal! :D

RXFCG

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone! It's been just over 6 months since I've been off Suboxone now and I wanted to report in. I want those just starting Suboxone to learn from my experience to help guide there path to success.

It's amazing to see how time flies and how fast 6 months goes. It's amazing to think that over a year and a half ago I was still on my daily Suboxone dose of 8mg, which I was on for 4 years prior.

Well last year around this time (March 2013) I decided I wanted to be done with Suboxone. I, like many others on here, am forever indebted to Suboxone for getting me off Oxy's and stabilizing my life. With Suboxone, I was able to get a job, keep it, start relationships and get meaning to my life. At the very beginning, I planned to be on Suboxone for 1 year, even though my doctor said it could be a lifetime maintenance drug. I never had any intention of making it a lifetime maintenance drug. I also never had any intention of being on Suboxone for 4 years, but that happened. The decision to finally convince myself to taper off Suboxone was one of the best decisions of my life.

Even though I've been off for 6 months, I still cherish the fact that I don't depend on a dose of Suboxone to feel good, let alone, function properly. I cherish the fact that I can take trips away from home without worrying about how many doses I need or what would happen if I ran out while on the road. I cherish not having to pay the medical bills every month to a doctor that encourages me to stay on longer. I cherish the feeling of having a healthy sex life without Suboxone holding me down. I cherish the fact that I can be normal and stable around family and friends. The list can go on and on, but it comes down to being able to live your life without anything holding you back.

I encourage those out there that have been on Suboxone for an extended period of time, that have a support system in place, and a mind ready to move on, to step out of the Suboxone routine and work on reducing your doses. I know everyone is different, but if you feel you're ready to take the next step to get off Suboxone, don't be fearful. It is intimidating, but take it from me and everyone else that has gotten off Suboxone, it's one of the best decisions made in life. You'll be shocked at how you feel at 8mg as well as 2mg. The lower you go and allow your body to adjust, the closer you are to getting off.

Other than that, I still feel as good as I did 3 months and 1 month off. I tapered so low, the time it took me to feel normal after jumping was very minimal. I put in a lot of work into my taper to make withdrawals minimal and it worked for me.

Well that's my 6 month update and I hope others out there do what's right for them. It worked for me, it can work for you.

Also, here is my previous thread for reference: made-25mg-jumping-thanksgiving-t9260.html

Take care,

RXFCG