It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I don't know what to do
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:?:
Hello I,ve never done anything like this before. I have a rare disorder and am prescribed 80mgs of opana(oxymorphone) as well as 180mgs of oxycodone per day. I believe that I am becoming far to dependent upon these meds, and don't know how to approach my doctor about it. I have run out early and bought some suboxone off the streets and it seems to help with everything and when I wake up I don't seem to need the meds so badly just to function normally. The most I've gone is 36 hours w/out meds and that was a nasty seen. I was just hoping to maybe get some advice here, if you have any please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think everyone here knows where you're coming from because we've all been there. It does sound like from what little you've said that you might be a good candidate for suboxone treatment. I know it's scary to have that first conversation where you admit that you have a problem. It's the hardest thing to do! But in order to take control of our lives, we've got to start somewhere.

Obviously you know your doctor best, but you could just sit her/him down and tell them honestly about what's been going on and that you want help; that you're ready to stop it. And then I'd ask about suboxone. Hopefully your doctor is knowledgeable about it and will help you through the process or refer you to someone who can.

Again, I know it's scary, but for so many of us suboxone has had a big hand in saving our lives - I know it has for me. I've been on it for over 2 years and will continue to remain on it. It gives you the opportunity to live life "normally" and for you to get your head and life together. We have to sort of re-learn how to live with new coping skills, unlearn bad habits - to basically learn how to live without popping a pill every time we feel things go south for us. And suboxone is an excellent tool to help us with that.

Ask any more questions that you have. It's what we're here for. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply didn't think I was going to get one. Here's the deal I'm receiving chemo therapy and am in extreme amounts of pain. Obiviously that's why they pescribe me what I get although I think in the long run it has hurt me more. I've been on these meds for over 2 years now and I'm worried that if I approach my doctor he might cut me off completely. I was hoping maybe somebody has had an experience like this to tell me what type of language I should use. I hate that everyday despite the pain it's worse because of medication in the end. I was also wondering if suboxone is ever used to treat chronic pain as well. I take no pleasure in what amounts to me now being a slave of sorts to this stuff. I can't even have a normal day anymore. I talked to the suboxone clinic here and they said they couldn't see me because of my medical condition. I'm sorry I know alot of people have been through much worse with this kind of stuff and that's what I'm tryin to avoid. Thanks once again for any input anybody may have.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lookinforadvice83 wrote:
Thank you for your reply didn't think I was going to get one. Here's the deal I'm receiving chemo therapy and am in extreme amounts of pain. Obiviously that's why they pescribe me what I get although I think in the long run it has hurt me more. I've been on these meds for over 2 years now and I'm worried that if I approach my doctor he might cut me off completely. I was hoping maybe somebody has had an experience like this to tell me what type of language I should use. I hate that everyday despite the pain it's worse because of medication in the end. I was also wondering if suboxone is ever used to treat chronic pain as well. I take no pleasure in what amounts to me now being a slave of sorts to this stuff. I can't even have a normal day anymore. I talked to the suboxone clinic here and they said they couldn't see me because of my medical condition. I'm sorry I know alot of people have been through much worse with this kind of stuff and that's what I'm tryin to avoid. Thanks once again for any input anybody may have.

First and for most congrats on taking a step in the right direction that is huge. I myself was on very strong pain meds for 7 years for 2 serious sport injuries, 200mg of oxycontin and 800mcg of fentora. So I know what is like to have pain but in your case with going through chemo and what not I am afraid suboxone will not work for your pain that well. It is used for pain but to go as far and say it is used for chronic pain is a white lie most Drs tell I am sad to say THIS IS JUST MY OPION. Your best bet is sitting down with your Dr and tell him how you feel and b4 you bring up suboxone see how your Doc reacts and go from there because like you said he might cut you off he might not but that risk is not worth taking right now with what you have going on. And did the suboxone clinic go into detail as to why they wouldn’t treat you with your medical condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult situation right now. I understand what you mean about feeling far too dependent on the meds, but that may be a necessary part of your treatment right now. Although I don't know your condition, I do know that chemo is often given for a period of time and then stopped for a while. You might want to wait until this round of chemo is complete before you deal with the opiate situation. People sometimes have a period of feeling better after their round of chemo, and maybe that would be the time to lower or get off of full agonists. This is just a suggestion, and forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds. I hope you have the kind of doctor who will listen to your concerns- that will be a big help. I wish you the best and hope you will keep us posted on how it goes.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, like many other people, also take suboxone for chronic pain. And it does make my life livable, as compared to life with nothing. When I was on Opana and percs for my chronic pain I found at the end that those meds were actually making my pain worse, as it turned out I was suffering from hyperalgesia. So I ended up with a reduction in my pain just from quitting those meds. Although sub may not help everyone's pain, it is also used to treat chronic pain in some patients - and successfully at that.

It's hard to say what words you should use with your doctor. I'd say just be honest with her/him. That goes a very long way. I wish you the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your concern and help with this situation. To bboy the reason the clinic will not treat me is because the condition I have is so rare the treatment I'm recieving is a study drug (it's in phase 3 so proven to work). They are afraid of drug ineraction issues and not knowing how to deal with them so they say. I'm saying if I'm on these other opiates what's the big difference between them and suboxone. The disease I have requires around 4 years of treatment minimum could be a lifetime of this, I know I can't let myself feel like I do because of another substance for even a month longer. I never took pain meds before this and just wish I could go back to before, I'm sure we all do. My Dr has consistently upped my dosages every three months I won't allow that again it's bad enough as it is. All I want is to be able to live a somewhat normal life. Well my next appointment is in a few days so I guess I'll lay the cards out on the table and see what happens. Thank you all again for all the good advice and I will keep you posted on how everything is going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lookinforadvice83 wrote:
Thank you all for your concern and help with this situation. To bboy the reason the clinic will not treat me is because the condition I have is so rare the treatment I'm recieving is a study drug (it's in phase 3 so proven to work). They are afraid of drug ineraction issues and not knowing how to deal with them so they say. I'm saying if I'm on these other opiates what's the big difference between them and suboxone. The disease I have requires around 4 years of treatment minimum could be a lifetime of this, I know I can't let myself feel like I do because of another substance for even a month longer. I never took pain meds before this and just wish I could go back to before, I'm sure we all do. My Dr has consistently upped my dosages every three months I won't allow that again it's bad enough as it is. All I want is to be able to live a somewhat normal life. Well my next appointment is in a few days so I guess I'll lay the cards out on the table and see what happens. Thank you all again for all the good advice and I will keep you posted on how everything is going.

Yea I mean that sucks the clinic wont treat you but at the same time I see where they are coming from and they only want the best for you and the last thing they want is for you to get sicker if key word if there is a drug interaction. Suboxone is a very unique drug it is not really comparable to the type of opiates you are on and as I am sure you know with sub you are dealing with 2 drugs Bup and nalaxone. This is just my thought take it as you may but if you truly want off opiates your best bet is methadone. You will get much better pain relief but without the feelings the meds give you now no high not falling asleep in the middle of the day and so fourth. I myself just switched to methadone have only been on it 6 days and my pain levels are much better and I am not even at my set dose yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey lookinforadvice, I'm so sorry that you are in this situation. You have already gotten some good feedback and I just had one other thought to share with you. If your pain is not being managed by the amount of opiates you are taking and your doctor just keeps upping the dose, you might want to ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. Pain management is a tricky specialty and for someone in your situation getting the right doctor might be key to getting your pain under control without continually upping your dose of opiates.

I wish you the best and I hope you'll let us know how things turn out.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all again for the great input. I've figured out that I'm going to have to do this on my own. I had another question was wondering what the difference between the strips and the pills? Does one work better than the other? Just wondering any input would be great thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's really no difference between the strips and the tablets, not when it comes to the ingredients. The films dissolve much faster and are supposed to have better bioavailibility. Personally, I hated the medicinal taste of the films, so I'm still on the tablets.

Doctors have been telling patients since the films came out that the tablets are being phased out and won't be available soon, but so far that's just rumor. There's been no real evidence to back that up. My doctor went ahead and put me back on the tablets without argument and never told me that the tablets wouldn't be available in the future. So for now, both are available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all again for your advice. I spoke to my docotor about my situation and she seemed to become almost defensive about my statements saying that she knows what she's doing, ok I can understand I'm not a medical professional but shouldn't she be concerned about how I feel about my situation. She said once I stop taking chemo they will slowly step me down I don't know if this will work anybody have any experience with this. I've called the few suboxone doctors around me and they are all full anybody know how to get an appointment with one, is it ok to go to one out of state? Thanks again for all your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sucks that your doctor didn't understand or even try to understand you. I'm sorry that happened. Some people do end up traveling to find an available sub doctor and yes, some out of state. Have you checked the online sub doctor locators? There's one at the top of each page of the forum (suboxone-directory.com). There are also three others (naabt.org, samhsa.gov, and suboxone.com). I found my doctor that way and he's now my primary care doctor.

Do you have private insurance or will you be paying cash? I don't know if going out of state will affect how your insurance pays or not. If you find a possible doctor out of state, you could call your insurance company and just ask them.

I hope you can find a sub doctor that's a good fit for you and not so far away. Again, I'm sorry things didn't go well with your doctor. Hang in there.